Bullnose Forums

351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2

Gray just seems ..... bland. I realize it is "correct", but it doesn't do much for me. I think Big Blue's block is black, and I'll probably paint or powder coat the pan black as well.

But, to each his own. It'll run the same. :nabble_smiley_good:

My pan and valve covers and breather are Ford blue. The heads and intake are a natural aluminum and the accessory brackets are black. I think its going to look good together.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pan and valve covers and breather are Ford blue. The heads and intake are a natural aluminum and the accessory brackets are black. I think its going to look good together.

Yesterday I hosed the block down with denatured alcohol. I blew out every passage multiple times. Then I re hosed it down with the solvent as well as took a rag to all of the cylinders and lefter bores. I dropped the crank of at the machine shop to be washed again. I will still blow compressed air through the passages and journals when I get it back. I should be painting when we have good weather next week.

Yesterday I hosed the block down with denatured alcohol. I blew out every passage multiple times. Then I re hosed it down with the solvent as well as took a rag to all of the cylinders and lefter bores. I dropped the crank of at the machine shop to be washed again. I will still blow compressed air through the passages and journals when I get it back. I should be painting when we have good weather next week.

Good progress. Gotta feel good after 3 years of waiting!

But I would wipe the cylinders, main bearings, and lifter bores down with a lubricant to ensure they don't rust. Don't get enough on that it creeps and gets on other things, but you sure don't want rust.

• 2 weeks later...

Good progress. Gotta feel good after 3 years of waiting!

But I would wipe the cylinders, main bearings, and lifter bores down with a lubricant to ensure they don't rust. Don't get enough on that it creeps and gets on other things, but you sure don't want rust.

My machinist said to wipe all of the bores with ATF and then wipe it off. There should be a residue left that wont hurt anything, but keep it from rusting. I havent done that yet because...

I painted the block and intake with VHT Ford Gray yesterday. Per the instructions for the paint it says I should bake the finish at 200 degrees for 1 hr. I am on the fence about this. I didnt lube the bores in case I decided to do this. The intake isnt a big deal because it can go right in the oven at home. It is light and about the same size as a roasting pan. However, the block is a different story. It is large, in charge and very heavy. I am pretty sure the little woman would have a cow if it tried to put it in the oven we just paid $1,700.00 for. The powder coat oven at the garagemahal could be an option if I want to go through the trouble of getting it off of the stand and in the truck for transport. Also, I need for the owner of the oven to be willing to do that. Is it really necessary though?

I am pretty sure that I bagged and tagged the majority of the fasteners that came off of the engine during disassembly. I do have a few loosey's on the work bench that I know go somewhere?:nabble_anim_confused: Does anybody have a 351W fastener list laying around or on file somewhere?

My machinist said to wipe all of the bores with ATF and then wipe it off. There should be a residue left that wont hurt anything, but keep it from rusting. I havent done that yet because...

I painted the block and intake with VHT Ford Gray yesterday. Per the instructions for the paint it says I should bake the finish at 200 degrees for 1 hr. I am on the fence about this. I didnt lube the bores in case I decided to do this. The intake isnt a big deal because it can go right in the oven at home. It is light and about the same size as a roasting pan. However, the block is a different story. It is large, in charge and very heavy. I am pretty sure the little woman would have a cow if it tried to put it in the oven we just paid $1,700.00 for. The powder coat oven at the garagemahal could be an option if I want to go through the trouble of getting it off of the stand and in the truck for transport. Also, I need for the owner of the oven to be willing to do that. Is it really necessary though?

I am pretty sure that I bagged and tagged the majority of the fasteners that came off of the engine during disassembly. I do have a few loosey's on the work bench that I know go somewhere?:nabble_anim_confused: Does anybody have a 351W fastener list laying around or on file somewhere?

The owner of the garagemahal is willing to bake a block. However, it is doubtful that the floor of the oven will appreciate supporting a block as it is just thin sheetmetal. So, we ought to figure out a way to provide some support. And, if we are only going to 200 degrees then 2x4's would work - assuming there's some strength around the edges.

But, it will cost you. You'll have to carry off this heavy box that I keep stumbling over. I think its got some old chunk of cast iron in it, and three long bolts.

As for the fasteners, do you have any idea which ones are strays? In other words, where to start?

The owner of the garagemahal is willing to bake a block. However, it is doubtful that the floor of the oven will appreciate supporting a block as it is just thin sheetmetal. So, we ought to figure out a way to provide some support. And, if we are only going to 200 degrees then 2x4's would work - assuming there's some strength around the edges.

But, it will cost you. You'll have to carry off this heavy box that I keep stumbling over. I think its got some old chunk of cast iron in it, and three long bolts.

As for the fasteners, do you have any idea which ones are strays? In other words, where to start?

Starting with the rotating assembly build. The oil pump and puck up tube as well as the cam thrust plate bolts. Again I may have them bagged. I just need to look.

Starting with the rotating assembly build. The oil pump and puck up tube as well as the cam thrust plate bolts. Again I may have them bagged. I just need to look.

Brandon - See if this helps: Engine/Windsor. I realize that this is just a start, but at least it is a start.

The thing that slowed me down is the pan bolts. Ford, with their infinite wisdom, had 4 different sets of pan bolts for the 1980 - 88 engines. :nabble_anim_crazy: Did they have pans falling off so they had to change? And it took three failures to get it right on the 4th time? One change was from a 1/4-20x.93" to a 1/4-20x.94". And from 5/16-18x1.08" to 5/16x18-1.12". So, make sure you use the right bolts. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Brandon - See if this helps: Engine/Windsor. I realize that this is just a start, but at least it is a start.

The thing that slowed me down is the pan bolts. Ford, with their infinite wisdom, had 4 different sets of pan bolts for the 1980 - 88 engines. :nabble_anim_crazy: Did they have pans falling off so they had to change? And it took three failures to get it right on the 4th time? One change was from a 1/4-20x.93" to a 1/4-20x.94". And from 5/16-18x1.08" to 5/16x18-1.12". So, make sure you use the right bolts. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thank you for that Gary. I was considering going stainless on some of the fasteners like the pan bolts, Intake and water pump. Not sure about the water pump though. Ford used some of their 3 11/32" special lengths that will require cutting.

Thank you for that Gary. I was considering going stainless on some of the fasteners like the pan bolts, Intake and water pump. Not sure about the water pump though. Ford used some of their 3 11/32" special lengths that will require cutting.

I wouldn't hesitate to use stainless bolts.

I bought a cheap set from 'the bolt locker' and 90% were fine.

Exhaust manifold bolts were too short, but sure enough the listing stated "for headers" so assuming thinner flanges.

When I brought the issue up they pointed this out and said if I had mentioned it at the time of purchase they would have subbed longer.

It is *really nice* to have full heads left on those bolts after ten years of salty new england winters.

I wouldn't hesitate to use stainless bolts.

I bought a cheap set from 'the bolt locker' and 90% were fine.

Exhaust manifold bolts were too short, but sure enough the listing stated "for headers" so assuming thinner flanges.

When I brought the issue up they pointed this out and said if I had mentioned it at the time of purchase they would have subbed longer.

It is *really nice* to have full heads left on those bolts after ten years of salty new england winters.

I had a productive day at the Garagemahal yesterday. We started off with some shop clutter removal. The microfiche machines were put away for now. We cut the top off of Huck. Gary went at it with the sawzall using a blade I brought called "The Fire and Rescue" blade by Lennox. That went really smooth I thought. The windshield gave up a little fight, but we got the job done.

I carried the block in from the truck which seemed heavy at the time until Gary emptied the coal slag blast media from the blast cabinet. There was apparently right at 700lbs of media in this tub we carried outside to dump. Made me wish I was still carrying that engine block around. Thank goodness I brought the all terrain dolly with me. That was a help.

I blasted my timing cover. Got it painted and put it along with the block and intake manifold in the powder coat oven to cure the paint as the instructions read on the VHT engine paint can. Note to self; I dont think a rattle can is the way to paint anything anymore. The nozzles are so unpredictable. The nozzle pretty much desecrated the timing cover. It had runs and sags everywhere because of how uneven the can was spraying. Thank the Lord it has a giant water pump getting bolted to it. (Two thumbs down on the quality of VHT's spray can)

Then I brought out the abomination of a carburetor I bought. I could only find one AVS carb used in all of my searches. I ended going to Stillwater to meet a guy to purchase it. This guy lived in the most white trash trailer house I have ever seen. The property looked like a trash dump. I had to take him to his parents house to pull it off of a chevy truck he thought he was drag racing. The guy had some pretty serious drug addiction issues. He had the opiate nod pretty bad when we were driving back. I knew then the price was going to be VERY negotiable. Also, I had no idea if the carb was even complete (pretty sure it wasnt) because I have never dealt with the AVS only the AFB.

Gary and I tore it down and started the blasting clean up process. I bought a cheap overhaul kit off of the web and got exactly what I paid for. So many parts were wrong and wouldnt fit that we were concerned it couldnt be finished. Miraculously Gary had some new parts laying around and we cobbled it back together. Of course there was some stuff missing that I need to track down to make it a workable part. Hopefully Gay can get with Bill Vose and figure out what the arts are called so I can try to source them.

I was happy with what we accomplished and certainly do appreciate all of the help Gary!