Bullnose Forums

351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2

I finally got around to doing some more engine building. I was waiting on a few things like the bolt kit from totally Stainless and to powder coat a few more components like the timing indicator. I got the front cover bolted on with the indicator in place and torqued. I moved on to securing the pan with the one piece Fel Pro pan gasket which I adore compared to the 4 piece cork set up. The bolts didnt really show up in the pics.

Today I hope to get the water pump, lifters and heads installed. I had two boxes with a new water pumps in them. I am using the cast iron pump. I opened them up and found that one was already painted. However, it was the wrong Ford Blue color. I repainted it with the correct color and let it dry. That was one of the reasons stopped after the timing cover and pan.

Supposedly , the cast iron pumps are supposed to come with the rear cover sealed from the factory , but the aluminum's dont?

So is this baby sealed from the factory?

I like the one-piece gasket, and that's what's going on Big Blue as well. And the pan looks great! :nabble_smiley_good:

On the water pump, can you see a gasket in there? You shouldn't have to take one apart, but if there's no gasket then you need to put one in.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the one-piece gasket, and that's what's going on Big Blue as well. And the pan looks great! :nabble_smiley_good:On the water pump, can you see a gasket in there? You shouldn't have to take one apart, but if there's no gasket then you need to put one in.
I didn't see one, but installed it anyways. I am trusting that it was assembled the correct way...                             in China

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

This is the 351 W of course. Do I have the head gaskets positioned correctly so that the water passages are not blocked?

Gary, I added you and Bill Vose to a 302, 351, 460 FB page. I am being told by a lot of people that I have pistons in backwards. Which I think means the rods are in backwards. According to some of these guys they are saying this smoke the crankshaft?

The dots on the pistons are supposed to be facing the front of the motor. A seasoned machinist pressed them on so I am saying the pistons are on the rods right, but I think I put some of them in wrong?

Gary, I added you and Bill Vose to a 302, 351, 460 FB page. I am being told by a lot of people that I have pistons in backwards. Which I think means the rods are in backwards. According to some of these guys they are saying this smoke the crankshaft?

The dots on the pistons are supposed to be facing the front of the motor. A seasoned machinist pressed them on so I am saying the pistons are on the rods right, but I think I put some of them in wrong?

Brandon - Can you give us a link to the page? I haven't found it.

Brandon - Can you give us a link to the page? I haven't found it.

The Admins havent added you yet. I am sure it is a closed group. I have tried to tag you guys in it, but it isnt happening.

This has just destroyed my spirit.

The Admins havent added you yet. I am sure it is a closed group. I have tried to tag you guys in it, but it isnt happening.

This has just destroyed my spirit.

I am so done with this build. I am loading everything up and taking down to Kent at K&S motors sometime next week. I will never try to build another one. I will buy a crate from here on out. I should have bought a crate motor to start out with. I dont care what it costs to have Kent do it, but I wont waste another minute of my life on this motor build.