Bullnose Forums

351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2

This go around with Jr I am doing it different. The FPR is going to be out front by the accessories. The gauge is going to be set up with a 90° fitting that makes the gauge face forward. Instead of NPT and hose barbs I am going to use NPT fittings where they are tapped like fuel pump, FPR and carb, but convert those into JIC. Instead of using rubber fuel line I am going to use steel braided lines with JIC fittings. I will hold it in place with those rubber lined strap thingies to make it look sanitary and professional.

My buddy James called last night and said he took some fittings and other misc. parts his work was throwing away to his house. So I went by and grabbed a few I thought would be useable:

JIC.jpg.c73d418817198c65c004db5484a19253.jpg

He also told me if I needed some SS tubing that he had some of that also:

SS.jpg.6f8aa5d9fb73ba0fb9feda5058290570.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This go around with Jr I am doing it different. The FPR is going to be out front by the accessories. The gauge is going to be set up with a 90° fitting that makes the gauge face forward. Instead of NPT and hose barbs I am going to use NPT fittings where they are tapped like fuel pump, FPR and carb, but convert those into JIC. Instead of using rubber fuel line I am going to use steel braided lines with JIC fittings. I will hold it in place with those rubber lined strap thingies to make it look sanitary and professional.

My buddy James called last night and said he took some fittings and other misc. parts his work was throwing away to his house. So I went by and grabbed a few I thought would be useable:

He also told me if I needed some SS tubing that he had some of that also:

Wow! How many of those are you going to put on like jewelry?

Those are nice aircraft style fittings, they are probably AN flare however.

They appear to be AN flare. They even say so on the fittings.

So What exactly is the thread size on the Edelbrock carburetors ? They say in the literature that they are 5/8"-20? Is that an SAE fitting or something? Do they have to have the metal washer with them to seal?

What are the fitting threads and sizes on the mechanical fuel pumps?

They appear to be AN flare. They even say so on the fittings.

So What exactly is the thread size on the Edelbrock carburetors ? They say in the literature that they are 5/8"-20? Is that an SAE fitting or something? Do they have to have the metal washer with them to seal?

What are the fitting threads and sizes on the mechanical fuel pumps?

The fuel pump says it is a 1/2-20 UNF? Is that inverted flare?

The fuel pump says it is a 1/2-20 UNF? Is that inverted flare?

UNF is Unified National Fine. So 1/2-20 is just the fine-pitched 1/2" thread.

But the Edelbrock's 5/8-20 is an odd thread. It isn't SAE UNC nor UNF, and it isn't NPT. I think it was used by several carb manufacturers, but is an uncommon size outside of carbs.

Just happen to have a picture of one of the finished products. But I'll leave it to Brandon to tell how long it took to do that. :nabble_smiley_what:

And, just for clarity, the "microfiche tower" needs some 'splaining. Bill/Numberdummy and Chris/ctubutis left me with two microfiche viewers when they were here last fall. But those things are bulky, so I put them on top of the powdercoating/paint booth. And, when I need to use one, which is rare, I pull out the 8' step ladder. "Microfice tower". :nabble_smiley_grin:

Doing some more powder coating for the engine parts:

20180414_115704.jpg.f399c4b21552fbcd0d6f348406897a32.jpg

20180414_120316.jpg.21e3a66a3c94f95cf2984cd6226d4c26.jpg

20180414_120638.jpg.f2764c8599285ecba788f8e6a2fa6d7d.jpg

• 1 month later...

The cookies are ready:

I finally got around to doing some more engine building. I was waiting on a few things like the bolt kit from totally Stainless and to powder coat a few more components like the timing indicator. I got the front cover bolted on with the indicator in place and torqued. I moved on to securing the pan with the one piece Fel Pro pan gasket which I adore compared to the 4 piece cork set up. The bolts didnt really show up in the pics.FP_1.thumb.jpg.384aa3157eb21f0c84f1359fd18619c5.jpg

FP_2.thumb.jpg.87df051a03155a8276e688a32d665583.jpg

FP_3.thumb.jpg.1b8647f73e1c5e439bf927b4f406d74b.jpg

Today I hope to get the water pump, lifters and heads installed. I had two boxes with a new water pumps in them. I am using the cast iron pump. I opened them up and found that one was already painted. However, it was the wrong Ford Blue color. I repainted it with the correct color and let it dry. That was one of the reasons stopped after the timing cover and pan.

Supposedly , the cast iron pumps are supposed to come with the rear cover sealed from the factory , but the aluminum's dont?

So is this baby sealed from the factory?

WP.thumb.jpg.9f520cd1e812256817dc9ccefd1ea2e8.jpg