Bullnose Forums

351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2

The dipstick dilemma :

I showed up at Gary's with an assortment of dipsticks and dipstick tubes. Upon inspection all of these dipstick were different.it was a hot mess to get it figured out. Gary had to break out some microfiche and use the microfiche tower.

Screenshot_20180328-212138.thumb.png.c4d7ee05a5e2f3ce410e699867717e0b.pngMy Pioneer magnetic drain plug arrived to as well. I am not going to install the drain pan on the motor until I get the heads and top end assembled. Just in case.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dipstick dilemma :

I showed up at Gary's with an assortment of dipsticks and dipstick tubes. Upon inspection all of these dipstick were different.it was a hot mess to get it figured out. Gary had to break out some microfiche and use the microfiche tower.

Just happen to have a picture of one of the finished products. But I'll leave it to Brandon to tell how long it took to do that. :nabble_smiley_what:

Brandons_Breather.thumb.jpg.11efee4896274cd15af4f67e832fd8ad.jpg

And, just for clarity, the "microfiche tower" needs some 'splaining. Bill/Numberdummy and Chris/ctubutis left me with two microfiche viewers when they were here last fall. But those things are bulky, so I put them on top of the powdercoating/paint booth. And, when I need to use one, which is rare, I pull out the 8' step ladder. "Microfice tower". :nabble_smiley_grin:

Just happen to have a picture of one of the finished products. But I'll leave it to Brandon to tell how long it took to do that. :nabble_smiley_what:

And, just for clarity, the "microfiche tower" needs some 'splaining. Bill/Numberdummy and Chris/ctubutis left me with two microfiche viewers when they were here last fall. But those things are bulky, so I put them on top of the powdercoating/paint booth. And, when I need to use one, which is rare, I pull out the 8' step ladder. "Microfice tower". :nabble_smiley_grin:

I should have taken a pic of you using the microfiche tower lol.:nabble_smiley_happy:

I have been laughing about that ever since.

Also, I was sandblasting while Gary was ficheing. I turned the blast cabinet ventilation system on simultaneously as Gary flipped on the microfiche machine. He though something crazy was going on with the microfiche machine . :nabble_anim_confused:

That is a nice picture of that oil fill cap by the way. The oil fill cap disassembly was nothing short of a two hour gig. We tried everything. We made tools, lubed it up , hot water, a pry bar on every side while it was in the vice and you name it. Finally we took the heat gun to it and just got downright brutal with it. However, it turned out looking good and we didnt destroy it which was a miracle. It went right back together with little or no fight.

I should have taken a pic of you using the microfiche tower lol.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Also, I was sandblasting while Gary was ficheing. I turned the blast cabinet ventilation system on simultaneously as Gary flipped on the microfiche machine. He though something crazy was going on with the microfiche machine . :nabble_anim_confused:

That is a nice picture of that oil fill cap by the way. The oil fill cap disassembly was nothing short of a two hour gig. We tried everything. We made tools, lubed it up , hot water, a pry bar on every side while it was in the vice and you name it. Finally we took the heat gun to it and just got downright brutal with it. However, it turned out looking good and we didnt destroy it which was a miracle. It went right back together with little or no fight.

P-u-r-d-y!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, you should have taken a pic of me doing research. Things are getting packed in the Garagemahal, so I thought that was a neat solution for seldom-used pieces of equipment.

And Brandon is right, that plastic fitting fought us tooth and nail. The keys were heat and lubrication. The heat let both the rubber grommet and the plastic fitting give a bit more, and the lubrication let them slide past each other.

But the result was worth it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, you should have taken a pic of me doing research. Things are getting packed in the Garagemahal, so I thought that was a neat solution for seldom-used pieces of equipment.

And Brandon is right, that plastic fitting fought us tooth and nail. The keys were heat and lubrication. The heat let both the rubber grommet and the plastic fitting give a bit more, and the lubrication let them slide past each other.

But the result was worth it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Some thoughts about the build:

I dont like where the FPR is mounted on my Bronco. It is under the breather and hard to access. Also, the gauge is impossible to read without being a contortionist.

20180403_163707.jpg.a82a60198d062f08179de3d06214840c.jpg

I am not fond of the rubber fuel line I used for the carb feed either. The horror stories Bill Vose told me about when they break and hose the dizzy down while it is running doesnt sound to be in my best interest.

I am using NPT fittings and hose barbs for most of it. It is getting the job done, but I dont like it.

This go around with Jr I am doing it different. The FPR is going to be out front by the accessories. The gauge is going to be set up with a 90° fitting that makes the gauge face forward. Instead of NPT and hose barbs I am going to use NPT fittings where they are tapped like fuel pump, FPR and carb, but convert those into JIC. Instead of using rubber fuel line I am going to use steel braided lines with JIC fittings. I will hold it in place with those rubber lined strap thingies to make it look sanitary and professional.

Some thoughts about the build:

I dont like where the FPR is mounted on my Bronco. It is under the breather and hard to access. Also, the gauge is impossible to read without being a contortionist.

I am not fond of the rubber fuel line I used for the carb feed either. The horror stories Bill Vose told me about when they break and hose the dizzy down while it is running doesnt sound to be in my best interest.

I am using NPT fittings and hose barbs for most of it. It is getting the job done, but I dont like it.

This go around with Jr I am doing it different. The FPR is going to be out front by the accessories. The gauge is going to be set up with a 90° fitting that makes the gauge face forward. Instead of NPT and hose barbs I am going to use NPT fittings where they are tapped like fuel pump, FPR and carb, but convert those into JIC. Instead of using rubber fuel line I am going to use steel braided lines with JIC fittings. I will hold it in place with those rubber lined strap thingies to make it look sanitary and professional.

I like the plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I agree that rubber hose against the dizzy doesn't thrill me. So I want to see what you do.

I like the plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I agree that rubber hose against the dizzy doesn't thrill me. So I want to see what you do.

I need to paint a few things with the rattle can so I can get back to the build. It may be too cold for any of that today. I will set a goal to get it done Sunday. I need to figure out what I am going to do about the water pump bolts also. I would like to go SS with them. It may mean making them custom because of Ford and their extremely uncommon bolt lengths. I will do some research today on the subject.

I need to paint a few things with the rattle can so I can get back to the build. It may be too cold for any of that today. I will set a goal to get it done Sunday. I need to figure out what I am going to do about the water pump bolts also. I would like to go SS with them. It may mean making them custom because of Ford and their extremely uncommon bolt lengths. I will do some research today on the subject.

I may have found a SS kit that is reasonable (reasonable to me $75) from these guys:

http://www.totallystainless.com/Contact%20Us.html

Here is the catalog page:

http://shop.totallystainless.com/2010catalog/catalog44.pdf

I believe my kit is :

6-0792 (they swear the correct WP bolts are included...) I need to call Monday to see for sure.

Which is designated passenger side water pump inlet, indented hex head, and sheet metal valve covers.

Gary, my VC's are sheet metal and not cast correct? They are just the factory Ford from that era covers.

I do like the way the high strength bolts sound. However, i dont like the $300 price tag with it...

I may have found a SS kit that is reasonable (reasonable to me $75) from these guys:

http://www.totallystainless.com/Contact%20Us.html

Here is the catalog page:

http://shop.totallystainless.com/2010catalog/catalog44.pdf

I believe my kit is :

6-0792 (they swear the correct WP bolts are included...) I need to call Monday to see for sure.

Which is designated passenger side water pump inlet, indented hex head, and sheet metal valve covers.

Gary, my VC's are sheet metal and not cast correct? They are just the factory Ford from that era covers.

I do like the way the high strength bolts sound. However, i dont like the $300 price tag with it...

Looks good, Brandon. And yes, factory valve covers are sheet metal.

As for strength, there’s no need for stronger bolts.