Bullnose Forums

351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2

I had a productive day at the Garagemahal yesterday. We started off with some shop clutter removal. The microfiche machines were put away for now. We cut the top off of Huck. Gary went at it with the sawzall using a blade I brought called "The Fire and Rescue" blade by Lennox. That went really smooth I thought. The windshield gave up a little fight, but we got the job done.

I carried the block in from the truck which seemed heavy at the time until Gary emptied the coal slag blast media from the blast cabinet. There was apparently right at 700lbs of media in this tub we carried outside to dump. Made me wish I was still carrying that engine block around. Thank goodness I brought the all terrain dolly with me. That was a help.

I blasted my timing cover. Got it painted and put it along with the block and intake manifold in the powder coat oven to cure the paint as the instructions read on the VHT engine paint can. Note to self; I dont think a rattle can is the way to paint anything anymore. The nozzles are so unpredictable. The nozzle pretty much desecrated the timing cover. It had runs and sags everywhere because of how uneven the can was spraying. Thank the Lord it has a giant water pump getting bolted to it. (Two thumbs down on the quality of VHT's spray can)

Then I brought out the abomination of a carburetor I bought. I could only find one AVS carb used in all of my searches. I ended going to Stillwater to meet a guy to purchase it. This guy lived in the most white trash trailer house I have ever seen. The property looked like a trash dump. I had to take him to his parents house to pull it off of a chevy truck he thought he was drag racing. The guy had some pretty serious drug addiction issues. He had the opiate nod pretty bad when we were driving back. I knew then the price was going to be VERY negotiable. Also, I had no idea if the carb was even complete (pretty sure it wasnt) because I have never dealt with the AVS only the AFB.

Gary and I tore it down and started the blasting clean up process. I bought a cheap overhaul kit off of the web and got exactly what I paid for. So many parts were wrong and wouldnt fit that we were concerned it couldnt be finished. Miraculously Gary had some new parts laying around and we cobbled it back together. Of course there was some stuff missing that I need to track down to make it a workable part. Hopefully Gay can get with Bill Vose and figure out what the arts are called so I can try to source them.

I was happy with what we accomplished and certainly do appreciate all of the help Gary!

It was, indeed, a productive day. I'd never have gotten the top off Huck by myself, nor the microfiche viewers put away up high. Thanks!

That AVS was a mess, for sure. And unless we can find the two pieces, the secondary tension spring and the choke link, it isn't usable yet. But maybe Edelbrock can help us.

As for that kit, it was awful. I've never seen inlet seats that have the wrong threads on them. But those did. And the hole in the accelerator pump was too small to take the S link. However, we got lucky as there were new inlet seats in the carb cabinet, and a drill bit opened up the hole nicely.

What is the brand of that kit? I don't want to use one of them again. :nabble_smiley_argh:

It was, indeed, a productive day. I'd never have gotten the top off Huck by myself, nor the microfiche viewers put away up high. Thanks!

That AVS was a mess, for sure. And unless we can find the two pieces, the secondary tension spring and the choke link, it isn't usable yet. But maybe Edelbrock can help us.

As for that kit, it was awful. I've never seen inlet seats that have the wrong threads on them. But those did. And the hole in the accelerator pump was too small to take the S link. However, we got lucky as there were new inlet seats in the carb cabinet, and a drill bit opened up the hole nicely.

What is the brand of that kit? I don't want to use one of them again. :nabble_smiley_argh:

I will bet it was probably "Made in China" but it could be Edelbrock made some changes to them, maybe to Metric threads?

I will bet it was probably "Made in China" but it could be Edelbrock made some changes to them, maybe to Metric threads?

No, there was nothing wrong with the carb. Standard inlet seats worked fine. It was the seats from the kit Brandon bought that were wrong. Instead of 5/16-24 threads they had X-1.0 metric threads. Close, but no cigar.

No, there was nothing wrong with the carb. Standard inlet seats worked fine. It was the seats from the kit Brandon bought that were wrong. Instead of 5/16-24 threads they had X-1.0 metric threads. Close, but no cigar.

Bill do you have any AVS parts laying around that I may need to get this unit working?

I think what Bill is saying is that Edelbrock may use 8x1 metric threads on current production.

IDK if it will help, but I can take some measurements and photos of my carb for comparison.

I think what Bill is saying is that Edelbrock may use 8x1 metric threads on current production.

IDK if it will help, but I can take some measurements and photos of my carb for comparison.

Ahhh! Maybe that is what he is saying. Do you have the old inlet seats? If you measured the threads on those it might answer the question.

And, yours is an 1805? Perhaps pics of the secondary tension spring, which I am just remembering but can't find pics of? And, of the link between the choke shaft and the choke butterfly?

Ahhh! Maybe that is what he is saying. Do you have the old inlet seats? If you measured the threads on those it might answer the question.

And, yours is an 1805? Perhaps pics of the secondary tension spring, which I am just remembering but can't find pics of? And, of the link between the choke shaft and the choke butterfly?

I have an 1826, like it says in my sig.

No. I'm sorry, I didn't save any of the garbage I pulled out of this carb when I rebuilt it.

There may be some useful pic farther up this thread when I had it apart (September??)

Jim - Thanks. Your first pic is ever so close. We need to see the whole of the link that goes past the air cleaner stud and operates the choke as one that we have doesn't seem to fit and the other isn't long enough.

Also, we need to see the spring that's on the backside of the divider there that the Torx-head clamp screw and the slotted adjuster go through. IIRC, that spring wraps around the secondary air valve shaft and provides the tension that determines when the air valve opens. You put a screwdriver in the slot, loosen the Torx-head screw, and turn the slotted adjuster for more or less tension.

Jims_AVS_1.thumb.jpg.7456cad06085219006d19f9c9eea71f1.jpg

Jim - Thanks. Your first pic is ever so close. We need to see the whole of the link that goes past the air cleaner stud and operates the choke as one that we have doesn't seem to fit and the other isn't long enough.

Also, we need to see the spring that's on the backside of the divider there that the Torx-head clamp screw and the slotted adjuster go through. IIRC, that spring wraps around the secondary air valve shaft and provides the tension that determines when the air valve opens. You put a screwdriver in the slot, loosen the Torx-head screw, and turn the slotted adjuster for more or less tension.

Sorry.

I thought you wanted the spring that's wrapped around the secondary shaft at the lower rear of the carb.

I'm trudging around in the slush now but will get other pics when I have time and place to pull the air cleaner again.