Bullnose Forums

351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2

Some of you may know me from FTE. My name is Brandon and I live about 25 miles from Gary. He and I have become friends ever since I bought an oil pan from him many years ago.

I have a bullnose build that has been neglected for a couple years and I am just now starting to rekindle it.

I had all kinds of plans for a motor build for low end torque. This isnt a performance build. The truck I named Junior is a 82 half ton version of my 96 F250 I call Whitey which will become one of my work trucks for business. So the 82 is Whitey Jr.

I fought and battled with compression issues related to head choices. I finally gave up the fight and bought a set of aluminum heads:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-X306/

Now, since the intake runners are taller than what I had planned for I had to switch from an Edelbrock Performer intake to a Performer RPM. I am going to lose some low end with this switch.http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/ford/performer-rpm-289.shtml

Also, come to find out my 1406 carb that Gary and I rebuilt will not be enough to supply this intake and head set up. I had to buy an 1805 carb.

What a mess this has evolved into:nabble_anim_crazy:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon - You are telling the Reader's Digest version. :nabble_smiley_wink: The one I've heard is much longer and involves pistons and an Air-Valve Secondary carb. (Bill will 'splain that presently.) But, Jim has, or will have 750 CFM one of those for sale soon.

Anyway, we are signed on for the journey.

Brandon - You are telling the Reader's Digest version. :nabble_smiley_wink: The one I've heard is much longer and involves pistons and an Air-Valve Secondary carb. (Bill will 'splain that presently.) But, Jim has, or will have 750 CFM one of those for sale soon.

Anyway, we are signed on for the journey.

I was trying to spare everybody the 3 yrs at the machine shop which ended when I said "pull my stuff I am taking it tomorrow!" . So then tomorrow came and all he had to do was all of the machine work I asked for 3 yrs ago...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Compression is still going to be 10-1/2 - 10-3/4 ish with the 0 deck height.The aluminum should work out though.

I was trying to spare everybody the 3 yrs at the machine shop which ended when I said "pull my stuff I am taking it tomorrow!" . So then tomorrow came and all he had to do was all of the machine work I asked for 3 yrs ago...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Compression is still going to be 10-1/2 - 10-3/4 ish with the 0 deck height.The aluminum should work out though.

A Performer is no different ( or very very little ) than a factory intake, only aluminum. The RPM is a step up. I seriously doubt you will notice much loss at low RPMs. I have run these with no problem at all on street cars. Down low torque, in my builds, has been tire smoking :) Your CR is high . .if true. I assume this is just going to be a fun driver? Running high octane for small stints, no big deal. You can help yourself with preignition or detonation with the cam choice. But that will have an effect on low torque. Still , all that is controlled or lessened, by the choice of gearing. You keep the engine where it wants to be, RPM wise, and all is fine. So what is the goal here? Having mixed up part/goals is a sure way to be distraught.

A Performer is no different ( or very very little ) than a factory intake, only aluminum. The RPM is a step up. I seriously doubt you will notice much loss at low RPMs. I have run these with no problem at all on street cars. Down low torque, in my builds, has been tire smoking :) Your CR is high . .if true. I assume this is just going to be a fun driver? Running high octane for small stints, no big deal. You can help yourself with preignition or detonation with the cam choice. But that will have an effect on low torque. Still , all that is controlled or lessened, by the choice of gearing. You keep the engine where it wants to be, RPM wise, and all is fine. So what is the goal here? Having mixed up part/goals is a sure way to be distraught.

The goal is a work truck. Just some low end torque for a daily driver that can pull light trailers and haul material.

The cam is a comp cams XE256:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-35-234-3/overview/make/ford

The gearing is 3:50ish

The goal is a work truck. Just some low end torque for a daily driver that can pull light trailers and haul material.

The cam is a comp cams XE256:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-35-234-3/overview/make/ford

That’s a good cam. I ran it in the ‘82 Explorer’s 351W with a 2bbl. From a stop on dry concrete it would spin the right rear. Plenty of low-end torque.

Yes , with 351 cubic inches, that cam is rather docile. In a 289, it would be more radical. Thats a good choice for a truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope its still a good choice and match with the other components I have had to change.

I took the heads to the guy known as "The Professor" (Eric Weingartner of Weingartner Racing). He ran a flow test as well as a pressure test to see what they would do.Head_Flow_2.thumb.jpg.5152df7a240ef93df505390ddaa0bc15.jpg

Here are the numbers the test produced:

Head_Flow.thumb.jpg.f780943dacc16adff358dbcc15366789.jpg

I am glad I took them to Eric for a few different reasons:

1) I wasnt sure if the springs the heads came with would work well with my cam.

Turns out they are way too heavy to use with a flat tappet cam. Eric thought it would have wiped the lobes off. The kit I bought came with springs. So they will be used.

2) The valves are so long in these heads that they will need to be shimmed up considerably.

I had no clue as to go about setting up the installation height. So the parts needed are being ordered and installed in the near future.

3) The valve seals installed were of poor quality .

Eric is changing them as well. Also, the seals that came with the kit are of poor quality.

4) Eric uses a special valve cut that has something to do with the valves being "back cut".

The whole reason I took them there was to have the valves cut with his special cut that increases flow and brings up the volumetric efficiency. There will be an "after" flow test done as soon as they are complete to see what the difference is.