Bullnose Forums

Instrument Panel Lights

emunder

My instrument panel lights are a really dim green. Is this a pretty easy fix? Thinking just pull the panel & replace w/ better lights or are their other causes for this? The small lights under the pull switches for the headlights & dimmer are bright but these are really hard to see even at night time, in the day you can't even tell they are on.

My instrument panel lights are a really dim green. Is this a pretty easy fix? Thinking just pull the panel & replace w/ better lights or are their other causes for this? The small lights under the pull switches for the headlights & dimmer are bright but these are really hard to see even at night time, in the day you can't even tell they are on.

The usual cause for this is the colored lenses over the bulbs darkening with time. If you like the green color you can just remove the lenses and replace the white bulbs with colored LEDs, or you can do like I did and remove the lenses and leave the bulbs white - and now I have very easy-to-read instruments at night.

The usual cause for this is the colored lenses over the bulbs darkening with time. If you like the green color you can just remove the lenses and replace the white bulbs with colored LEDs, or you can do like I did and remove the lenses and leave the bulbs white - and now I have very easy-to-read instruments at night.

Ok good to know. I'll have to pull the panel and see what's going on back there. Thanks!

Ok good to know. I'll have to pull the panel and see what's going on back there. Thanks!

There are 5 bulbs [194] behind blue filters. Over time, the blue plastic filters become opaque. I have gone the LED route, but later decided to remove the blue filters and replace the clear bulbs with 194B [blue tint] and the result is what I imagine the dash looked like when new.

Or, I'm told you can polish the blue filters/lenses and remove the oxidation that is causing them to be dark. I've not tried it, but I wonder how long it lasts.

On Big Blue I'm running blue LED's w/o those filters and don't particularly care for it. Too much blue. David/1986F150Six is running blue-tinted incandescent bulbs w/o the filters, if I remember correctly, and really likes the setup.

EDIT: David beat me.

Or, I'm told you can polish the blue filters/lenses and remove the oxidation that is causing them to be dark. I've not tried it, but I wonder how long it lasts.

On Big Blue I'm running blue LED's w/o those filters and don't particularly care for it. Too much blue. David/1986F150Six is running blue-tinted incandescent bulbs w/o the filters, if I remember correctly, and really likes the setup.

We were typing at the same time, Gary.

There are 5 bulbs [194] behind blue filters. Over time, the blue plastic filters become opaque. I have gone the LED route, but later decided to remove the blue filters and replace the clear bulbs with 194B [blue tint] and the result is what I imagine the dash looked like when new.

I went with green LED's with out the filters on the gauge panel.

The head light / wiper light I left stock as I could not find a LED to fit in that space, same for the HVAC control panel factory stock.

20190126_175851.jpg.43037b632c9a7893904fce463cb298a8.jpg

That work be fine to try if they did not turn to dust in your hand when pulled :nabble_smiley_uh:

I had 1 set that's what happened an dif not then the little ears broke off turning it to junk.

Dave ----

I went with green LED's with out the filters on the gauge panel.

The head light / wiper light I left stock as I could not find a LED to fit in that space, same for the HVAC control panel factory stock.

That work be fine to try if they did not turn to dust in your hand when pulled :nabble_smiley_uh:

I had 1 set that's what happened an dif not then the little ears broke off turning it to junk.

Dave ----

Nice! That looks great!