Bullnose Forums

Wiring 97 4.ol into 87B2

My goal right now is to figure out what wires of this mess of wires I need to make this thing turn over and start after that. I study the diagrams but being cautious about pulling wires I might need later . I not confident enough to do that yet. I from the old school cars a little gas and spark go. I always took these new cars to the shop for repair so never got involved until I retired as a hobby. What I know is the PCM controls the whole show. I trying to find a course (maybe C.C. I can take to help me understand whats required to make these things run and reading wiring diagrams.

P1000641.jpg.907b363ad3a44aada5e1afaf015d2254.jpg

My goal right now is to figure out what wires of this mess of wires I need to make this thing turn over and start after that. I study the diagrams but being cautious about pulling wires I might need later . I not confident enough to do that yet. I from the old school cars a little gas and spark go. I always took these new cars to the shop for repair so never got involved until I retired as a hobby. What I know is the PCM controls the whole show. I trying to find a course (maybe C.C. I can take to help me understand whats required to make these things run and reading wiring diagrams.

Nice looking truck! Are you planning on keeping the complete 1997 system? If so then you will need all 3 O2 sensors (easiest way would be use the pipes and converter from the ranger) If you are not, you will need the computer from the 97 as it is a DIS system (triple coil, firing two plugs at a time). If not you will probably need to see if your 2.9L distributor will work in the 4.0L block.

If you stay with the 97 computer, but will not have all of the OBD-II stuff the EEC will need to be reflashed to reflect the changes.

Nice looking truck! Are you planning on keeping the complete 1997 system? If so then you will need all 3 O2 sensors (easiest way would be use the pipes and converter from the ranger) If you are not, you will need the computer from the 97 as it is a DIS system (triple coil, firing two plugs at a time). If not you will probably need to see if your 2.9L distributor will work in the 4.0L block.

If you stay with the 97 computer, but will not have all of the OBD-II stuff the EEC will need to be reflashed to reflect the changes.

Bill - Do you have the '97 wiring diagram? I have the '96 EVTM. Do you expect the '96 and '97 Ranger wiring to be the same?

If so, I could scan in the pages for the '96 Ranger and we could talk about where the salient wires need to go.

Thoughts?

Bill - Do you have the '97 wiring diagram? I have the '96 EVTM. Do you expect the '96 and '97 Ranger wiring to be the same?

If so, I could scan in the pages for the '96 Ranger and we could talk about where the salient wires need to go.

Thoughts?

I can get them off AllData, my 1996 EVTM does not include the Ranger, only F-series and Bronco.

Thank You guys for trying to get me going. I had to go buy a new battery yesterday that old interstate gave it up. There is a yellow wire that powered the ignition switch in the 97 Ranger PDB to I/p fuse panel. Do I need to hook that to the ignition switch. (Note I have power to the interior from the 87 fuse panel).I have power windows, lights, radio, heater blower working. The wiper motor must be froze tried to start it started then stopped and the fuse got very hot. The door locks lock but won't unlock. Nothing new under the hood still wiring puzzle. Here's a couple of pictures.P1000636.jpg.73ae149804907c407f221026645b6b3f.jpgP1000646.jpg.e32dd6783446da9df77b7d0589c77952.jpgP1000654.jpg.9c48871beea4cbf84558bf960ff5e648.jpg

Thank You guys for trying to get me going. I had to go buy a new battery yesterday that old interstate gave it up. There is a yellow wire that powered the ignition switch in the 97 Ranger PDB to I/p fuse panel. Do I need to hook that to the ignition switch. (Note I have power to the interior from the 87 fuse panel).I have power windows, lights, radio, heater blower working. The wiper motor must be froze tried to start it started then stopped and the fuse got very hot. The door locks lock but won't unlock. Nothing new under the hood still wiring puzzle. Here's a couple of pictures.

Ok, first question, where are you getting the wiring diagrams? Second, B2 1987, originally 2.9L correct? Manual or automatic and what transmission are you using on the swap?

In the mean time I will try to look at a few things on the wiring for you.

Ok, first question, where are you getting the wiring diagrams? Second, B2 1987, originally 2.9L correct? Manual or automatic and what transmission are you using on the swap?

In the mean time I will try to look at a few things on the wiring for you.

Biggest thing I see is the same problems I ran into on my upgrade from a carbureted 460 to MAF/SEFI along with the dash and steering column changes.

Your 1987 is a pretty straight forward truck, fairly basic design with only one power feed to the ignition switch, the wipers are probably a knob that turns one way for low and high, the other way for interval. 1997 the steering column and ignition switch are completely changed, 1997 has 4 separate power inputs from a single 60 amp fuse in the PDC, the 1987 switch has two inputs from a spliced yellow wire, circuit 37. You can take one of the 1997 yellow wires (bigger the better) to feed your ignition switch.

Wipers, do not try to use the relays in the PDC, simply use your old wiper system, 1997 uses a body computer for the wiper control.

Power locks, again, if the Bronco has them keep those, it is easier unless the Ranger has the remote keyless entry and keypad.

Starter, again, keep the B2 system rather than deal with the Ranger stuff, if you have to use it, it can be fun.