Bullnose Forum

Electrical gremlins strike again!

Time for a 3G upgrade?

Exactly what I am debating... I did not do it with the Espy, but I am actually pretty reliant on Eunice so I may have to.

I am away for work again from Sunday so I have some time to think about it!

I am torn between a total lack of time and just replace the 1G so I have a running truck, or somehow make more time and do the 3G....:nabble_anim_confused:

You know you can replace just the 1G diode board (for $20 and some time with a soldering gun)

Count on ~1/2 hour more than the simple R&R.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectifier-Bridge-Diodes-Ford-Motorcraft-1G-Alternator-/330336381141?redirect=mobile

You know you can replace just the 1G diode board (for $20 and some time with a soldering gun)

Count on ~1/2 hour more than the simple R&R.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectifier-Bridge-Diodes-Ford-Motorcraft-1G-Alternator-/330336381141?redirect=mobile

This weekend I changed out both the alternators for reman 1G.

Sorry for not doing the 3G upgrade, I just had to get these back on the road! Both are running happy again :)

This weekend I changed out both the alternators for reman 1G.

Sorry for not doing the 3G upgrade, I just had to get these back on the road! Both are running happy again :)

Why apologize?

If you don't have the time or resources to install the far superior 3G, or even just swap the 1G diode board, go back with the 1G and it'll probably last another decade or more. :nabble_anim_confused:

Why apologize?

If you don't have the time or resources to install the far superior 3G, or even just swap the 1G diode board, go back with the 1G and it'll probably last another decade or more. :nabble_anim_confused:

Indeed! I had to take the path of least resistance on this one, I prefer to do things properly and the 3G upgrade is the proper thing to do. But alas time is no mans friend!

Thanks for all the help!

Indeed! I had to take the path of least resistance on this one, I prefer to do things properly and the 3G upgrade is the proper thing to do. But alas time is no mans friend!

Thanks for all the help!

Yep, there are times we must take the "quick and easy" road rather than the "fix it better than new" road. As said, I did that on Big Blue when I first got him and the Powermaster alternator died. Luckily there was a regulator still on the fender and a 1G sitting on the shelf. A few minutes later I was able to get back to figuring out what the other, much more major, problems were with the truck.