Bullnose Forums

Welding Question

I just recently started teaching myself to weld. I have the Harbor Freight Titanium Unlimited 200 multi purpose welder. It has been great so far for MIG. I've used it exactly twice so far, just drawing beads on scrap to get used to it. I'm running 0.023 wire.

The main complaint I read about this welder is the regulator sucks. And that's true, I'll be looking for a replacement soon.

I'm not looking for welding stainless or TIG yet, but I wanted the option. I've read that having a pedal is super useful for TIG so I would look for a welder that supports that if you're wanting TIG. The welder I have doesn't support it.

IMG_20210317_203219_402.jpg.4f7273405ff61a22dd2372fe8a8a2f01.jpg

I just recently started teaching myself to weld. I have the Harbor Freight Titanium Unlimited 200 multi purpose welder. It has been great so far for MIG. I've used it exactly twice so far, just drawing beads on scrap to get used to it. I'm running 0.023 wire.

The main complaint I read about this welder is the regulator sucks. And that's true, I'll be looking for a replacement soon.

I'm not looking for welding stainless or TIG yet, but I wanted the option. I've read that having a pedal is super useful for TIG so I would look for a welder that supports that if you're wanting TIG. The welder I have doesn't support it.

And keep in mind that not all TIG machines can weld aluminum. If you're getting a multi-purpose machine with the idea in the back of your head that expanding to TIG will let you weld aluminum, make sure that you're getting one that can.

And keep in mind that not all TIG machines can weld aluminum. If you're getting a multi-purpose machine with the idea in the back of your head that expanding to TIG will let you weld aluminum, make sure that you're getting one that can.

Which is why I said I wouldn't get a tig without high frequency, pulse, a pedal or IGBT.

You can stick weld aluminum.

Look at some of Zila's videos on YouTube.

It isn't pretty like tig can be, but it is strong and functional.

I don't know what else you would do if you had to fix an aluminum catwalk or a truck trailer outside.

Which is why I said I wouldn't get a tig without high frequency, pulse, a pedal or IGBT.

You can stick weld aluminum.

Look at some of Zila's videos on YouTube.

It isn't pretty like tig can be, but it is strong and functional.

I don't know what else you would do if you had to fix an aluminum catwalk or a truck trailer outside.

There was a question earlier about community colleges offering auto welding classes. Most decent comm colleges have auto body repair classes which should include a tiny bit of welding.

Right now, due to covid, my local comm college is mostly virtual so their shop classes are very limited. But normally, most trade classes have a night session. These are the schools that are keeping trade work alive in this country and theres usually a lot of good people teaching there, who really care about passing on their skills and knowledge. Ive had a couple phone calls with people at my local school and they took the time to answer my questions.

As a "self taught" welder, i recommend learning a little of each process. Mig is an excellent start for autobody, especially with older metal. But you will want to use all of them at some point. And get a good helmet!