Bullnose Forums

Opinions on Retreads?

I mentioned the other day that I had hit a 'gator' on my way from work.

The tires I've liked in the past (like the traditional Cooper radial LT M+S, and the Kumhos) are NLA.

I've lost a steel belt on a Goodyear! :nabble_smiley_scared: Was a bad day....

So I'm thinking I should get some new shoes before winter, and I'm looking at Treadwright.

The stock 235/85 R-16 E is fine, or maybe a little taller, like 265/75~85.

Anyone have these on their truck?

I see a lot of good reviews, they seem to have a good variety of tread patterns, and they tout their siping.

The prices are good (especially for a 10 play rated tire)

But I don't know anyone who has personal experience, and 5-6 beans is a big chance to take if they don't perform well.

With all the newer pickups rolling on 17 to 20's 16's are looking to go extinct like 16.5"

And I doubt I'd be able to cut my losses by selling them forward in a timely manner.

Has anyone dealt with Treadwright before?

Are they all they're cracked up to be?

Interesting. I didn't even know you could still get retreads for passenger vehicles. These are only for the rear, right? I seem to recall that when they sold them here they were not approved for front installation. Mind you, that was a long time ago...I'm sure the technology is better these days.

I had a set of winter retreads on the back of an '84 Ranger many years ago.

Interesting. I didn't even know you could still get retreads for passenger vehicles. These are only for the rear, right? I seem to recall that when they sold them here they were not approved for front installation. Mind you, that was a long time ago...I'm sure the technology is better these days.

I had a set of winter retreads on the back of an '84 Ranger many years ago.

I was intending to go with four (all around)

Yes, I've heard that on big rigs you can't use retreads on the steering wheels.

Again, like everything else, technology is making things better, faster, stronger! Every day.

whatever happened to Lee Majors anyhow?

I was intending to go with four (all around)

Yes, I've heard that on big rigs you can't use retreads on the steering wheels.

Again, like everything else, technology is making things better, faster, stronger! Every day.

whatever happened to Lee Majors anyhow?

Actually, the "rule" is you shouldn't use retreads on the steer axle, unless it's a commercial vehicle carrying passengers{bus for an example}, then it's not allowed. I personally would not use a retread on the steer axle of a class 8 vehicle that I was using on a daily myself but you could. On a pick-up truck I don't see a problem in using them all around as long as they are of good quality.

Actually, the "rule" is you shouldn't use retreads on the steer axle, unless it's a commercial vehicle carrying passengers{bus for an example}, then it's not allowed. I personally would not use a retread on the steer axle of a class 8 vehicle that I was using on a daily myself but you could. On a pick-up truck I don't see a problem in using them all around as long as they are of good quality.

Yeah, I wouldn't want my kids in a school bus rolling on retreads.

Do you have any personal experience with Treadwright?

Yeah, I wouldn't want my kids in a school bus rolling on retreads.

Do you have any personal experience with Treadwright?

I wouldn't neither. I don't have any experience with the Treadright's, but I have ran retreads about 20 yrs ago, which after checking out their web site I learned that they are remolds and not retreads. Retreads are tires that have had the tread part of the tire scraped off and a new tread "cap" put back on the tire, a recap. Remolded tires have had most of the tires rubber removed from one bead to the other and new rubber added back to rebuild the tire back up from the tire's carcass. So remolds are mostly new and retreads are mostly used. I don't believe there would be any problems with them as long as the core carcass that they are built from is free of defects that would compromise the finished product.

I wouldn't neither. I don't have any experience with the Treadright's, but I have ran retreads about 20 yrs ago, which after checking out their web site I learned that they are remolds and not retreads. Retreads are tires that have had the tread part of the tire scraped off and a new tread "cap" put back on the tire, a recap. Remolded tires have had most of the tires rubber removed from one bead to the other and new rubber added back to rebuild the tire back up from the tire's carcass. So remolds are mostly new and retreads are mostly used. I don't believe there would be any problems with them as long as the core carcass that they are built from is free of defects that would compromise the finished product.

Thanks for the insight. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I have confidence, but still no first hand reports.

Thanks for sharing that Shaun! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Although the production values, video editing and cheesy 'infomercial' quality of it remind me why I'm never going to pay a cable bill for the opportunity to view 800+ channels of this fluff, I think the production (re-production?) process clips show a job well done!

I can't really imagine a tire plant being that clean and uncluttered. 😄

I go back and look at some films of Dayton and Akron in their prime and SMFH.

Man, (Ohio man?) Health & Safety have come a l o n g way!

I also can't imagine how loud that stinking little Jeep was on the highway drive to get to that wheeling park.

Cool to see the boss drives a rusted out Aeronose FSB!

Thanks for sharing that Shaun! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Although the production values, video editing and cheesy 'infomercial' quality of it remind me why I'm never going to pay a cable bill for the opportunity to view 800+ channels of this fluff, I think the production (re-production?) process clips show a job well done!

I can't really imagine a tire plant being that clean and uncluttered. 😄

I go back and look at some films of Dayton and Akron in their prime and SMFH.

Man, (Ohio man?) Health & Safety have come a l o n g way!

I also can't imagine how loud that stinking little Jeep was on the highway drive to get to that wheeling park.

Cool to see the boss drives a rusted out Aeronose FSB!

Jim, I'm pretty lucky here, the county school buses use a 215/85R-16 and as a result I can get them new at a good price. They are heavier rated than Darth but last extremely well. I don't know if they would carry wider ones though. I would look into who the people with school buses buy from, or anyone with a commercial truck.

Good luck in your search!