Bullnose Forums

Fuel filler question for the Flareside guys (And maybe Styleside too)

Guys,

I'm back to working on this fuel filler box. I have two of them, and the metal parts that were attached to both of them are long gone.

IMG_8248.jpg

There was a metal ring bonded to the back of the box where the filler neck flange connected. I have that part rectified already.

What I'm curious about is the stamped metal piece that used to be on the "front" of the box. It was inside the box, correct? Was there anything on the outside of the box? And by outside, what I mean is on the front where it attaches to the inside of the fiberglass fender? I can't remember from when I took it apart, and what was left of the metal was crumbling away as I took it all apart.

Would any of you happen to have any pictures of this stuff?...Either one of these boxes, or a view inside the fuel filler area with the door open?

If you are talking of the part on the other side from the door hinge it is a half moon thing that would support that side of the box when bolted to the fender or bed side.

With out it and only used say small washers they could pull thru the plastic box and it would flop around.

You could use flat stock with holes drilled thru it and use small nuts & bolts to hold it up to the fender or bed side.

It's not really seen with the door open so anything you can use to spread the support out on that side will work.

As I posted in my post above I don't think you can use a style side one as the bolt hole spacing is different between flare side & style side setups

Dave ----

Guys,

I'm back to working on this fuel filler box. I have two of them, and the metal parts that were attached to both of them are long gone.

IMG_8248.jpg

There was a metal ring bonded to the back of the box where the filler neck flange connected. I have that part rectified already.

What I'm curious about is the stamped metal piece that used to be on the "front" of the box. It was inside the box, correct? Was there anything on the outside of the box? And by outside, what I mean is on the front where it attaches to the inside of the fiberglass fender? I can't remember from when I took it apart, and what was left of the metal was crumbling away as I took it all apart.

Would any of you happen to have any pictures of this stuff?...Either one of these boxes, or a view inside the fuel filler area with the door open?

If you are talking of the part on the other side from the door hinge it is a half moon thing that would support that side of the box when bolted to the fender or bed side.

With out it and only used say small washers they could pull thru the plastic box and it would flop around.

You could use flat stock with holes drilled thru it and use small nuts & bolts to hold it up to the fender or bed side.

It's not really seen with the door open so anything you can use to spread the support out on that side will work.

As I posted in my post above I don't think you can use a style side one as the bolt hole spacing is different between flare side & style side setups

Dave ----

Ok, so here's what I did today...

I cut two new pieces of sheet metal to replace the old horseshoe shaped factory piece that was originally riveted to the inside of the box. The one on the right is 18ga stainless that I had on hand, and on the left is 22ga steel that I picked up this morning (It is cut to fit the hinge plate on the door.)

IMG_8277.jpg.b829dae78125c8c74d93ed87dc51e587.jpg

Below shows how it will sit, but inside the box...and the piece is actually upside down in the picture...lol. Duh.

IMG_8276.jpg.63453422d480cc8ea06aeada89970f76.jpg

I have since riveted the stainless piece in place and stuck new rubber bumpers in there. I bought new 4mm bolts and fender washers which I then painted blue;). I'll try it in the fender tomorrow and see how it all fits up.

Ok, so here's what I did today...

I cut two new pieces of sheet metal to replace the old horseshoe shaped factory piece that was originally riveted to the inside of the box. The one on the right is 18ga stainless that I had on hand, and on the left is 22ga steel that I picked up this morning (It is cut to fit the hinge plate on the door.)

Below shows how it will sit, but inside the box...and the piece is actually upside down in the picture...lol. Duh.

I have since riveted the stainless piece in place and stuck new rubber bumpers in there. I bought new 4mm bolts and fender washers which I then painted blue;). I'll try it in the fender tomorrow and see how it all fits up.

Well done, Cory. Those look good. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm anxious to see how things fit.