Bullnose Forums

Fuel filler question for the Flareside guys (And maybe Styleside too)

Guys,

I'm back to working on this fuel filler box. I have two of them, and the metal parts that were attached to both of them are long gone.

IMG_8248.jpg.888540098afcc1cd39239230d5d47aae.jpg

There was a metal ring bonded to the back of the box where the filler neck flange connected. I have that part rectified already.

What I'm curious about is the stamped metal piece that used to be on the "front" of the box. It was inside the box, correct? Was there anything on the outside of the box? And by outside, what I mean is on the front where it attaches to the inside of the fiberglass fender? I can't remember from when I took it apart, and what was left of the metal was crumbling away as I took it all apart.

Would any of you happen to have any pictures of this stuff?...Either one of these boxes, or a view inside the fuel filler area with the door open?

Here is one from a styleside (looks like they are different in the mold at least)

The metal ring is on the inside held on by two rivets (and then the bolts holding the door).

OK, that helps, a lot. Thank you Kram!

I don't suppose there's any way to tell how thick that little tin piece is inside the box is there? I'm I'm understanding it correctly, the thickness of that piece will affect where the filler door sits in relation to the fender...

OK, that helps, a lot. Thank you Kram!

I don't suppose there's any way to tell how thick that little tin piece is inside the box is there? I'm I'm understanding it correctly, the thickness of that piece will affect where the filler door sits in relation to the fender...

Yeah, without the metal ring it would sit a little too proud of the fender. Fender flex would be another concern.

Looks like the flat where the hinge would bolt is 0.03in. As hopefully the picture shows clear enough, there are some reinforcement edge bends in some places.

IMG_20190807_080631.jpg.442df300a942ca34e476d99b86495cb7.jpg

Yeah, without the metal ring it would sit a little too proud of the fender. Fender flex would be another concern.

Looks like the flat where the hinge would bolt is 0.03in. As hopefully the picture shows clear enough, there are some reinforcement edge bends in some places.

Oh that's awesome, thanks! So...30 thou would be 22ga sheet metal. That makes sense...I knew it was pretty thin stuff. I'm going to get some stainless and make a new piece. Thanks again, it is appreciated.

Oh that's awesome, thanks! So...30 thou would be 22ga sheet metal. That makes sense...I knew it was pretty thin stuff. I'm going to get some stainless and make a new piece. Thanks again, it is appreciated.

Don't believe there was any metal on the "outside"

That would gouge the fiberglass on a Flareside or corroder the fender wall on a styleside.

The extra Flareside filler I have does not have any steel on the outside...

That would gouge the fiberglass on a Flareside or corroder the fender wall on a styleside.

Cory, if you need other pictures let me know as I have the bed off and the fuel doors waiting for paint so think I can get some good pictures.

Dave ----

You're right. I just pulled a couple units from some styleside trucks at the jy today to replace my cracked one. Nothing between the bed sheet metal and the plastic housing.

In addition to the shape of the opening being different between flareside and styleside, it looks like the stylesides have an extra hole to the left of the opening. One unit I pulled was an E3 and the other an E4 and the only difference I can see is the size of that hole (E4 is larger).

You're right. I just pulled a couple units from some styleside trucks at the jy today to replace my cracked one. Nothing between the bed sheet metal and the plastic housing.

In addition to the shape of the opening being different between flareside and styleside, it looks like the stylesides have an extra hole to the left of the opening. One unit I pulled was an E3 and the other an E4 and the only difference I can see is the size of that hole (E4 is larger).

Besides the doors being different I believe (don't remember now) the plastic "box" and metal filler necks are a little different in think how long they are and how they are clocked in the box.

Part of my issue was the factory flare side setup my truck came with was modified by a PO and did not know what was stock or not?

Then I had the front & rear tank set ups from the style side parts truck I could use. Was going to use the rear full setup for a rear tank setup for my flare side.

Then my bother sent me part of a flare side fender with door, box and metal neck and part of the rubber hose.

This is when I found the doors were different between the 2 models.

The spacing of the screws for the doors & box are different between the 2, style side is wider.

The style side door is also a little smaller and is curved when looking at it from the end.

I have pictures I can post if wanted of them.

I think I used the box & neck my brother sent to get the front tank filler back to factory setup as ti would all bolt in place.

For the rear tank I used part of the flare side fender & door me brother sent and glassed it to the rear of my fender.

With tank in place and the door on the fender I took the rest of the parts I had to make the rear tank filler work. I may have used the left over flare side front box as the door screw spacing would match the fender then used 1 of the style side metal necks and rubber hoses to get it to be 1 part.

It has been a bit since I did this but I think that is how I did it and I do have pictures.

Dave ----