Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

Hucks_Timing_Cover.jpg

What were they thinking (other than "this plate is rotted through, and I'm not waiting til tomorrow to put it back together")?

There's just no way a centrifugal pump can work efficiently with THAT much side clearance, and 0.080" of RTV isn't winning any prize either. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Hucks_Timing_Cover.jpg

What were they thinking (other than "this plate is rotted through, and I'm not waiting til tomorrow to put it back together")?

There's just no way a centrifugal pump can work efficiently with THAT much side clearance, and 0.080" of RTV isn't winning any prize either. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Thinking? I don't believe they were. At least not well.

As you'll see, Big Blue is sporting an Edelbrock water pump, and I'm hoping theirs a plate behind it. However, Florida Man put it on, so.....

Thinking? I don't believe they were. At least not well.

As you'll see, Big Blue is sporting an Edelbrock water pump, and I'm hoping theirs a plate behind it. However, Florida Man put it on, so.....

Welllll, its done! now I'm not putting fluids in it till tomorrow, Let it set up over night.

Damn pesky cork oil pan gaskets starting slipping out, noting I can do but squirt more RTV in there.

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

Welllll, its done! now I'm not putting fluids in it till tomorrow, Let it set up over night.

Damn pesky cork oil pan gaskets starting slipping out, noting I can do but squirt more RTV in there.

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

RTV on cork gaskets is quite slippery. My father would have said "Like snot on a glass doorknob." So you are right to let it set up. :nabble_smiley_good:

Anyway, congrat's! I'll bet you are gonna be happy!

RTV on cork gaskets is quite slippery. My father would have said "Like snot on a glass doorknob." So you are right to let it set up. :nabble_smiley_good:

E6000 will keep a cork gasket in-place, if you put the pan/gasket on a flat table for the ~5 min it takes the E6000 to set up.

But I'd never use cork - modern silicone/nitrile/rubber reusable gaskets are too common & affordable.

Goose poop on the morning's dew covered grass? :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I just trim those corners to size and glue them on.

Drive it like you stole it, Ron! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Vid's or it never happened...

Goose poop on the morning's dew covered grass? :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I just trim those corners to size and glue them on.

Drive it like you stole it, Ron! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Vid's or it never happened...

Now I see why Steve at my local Ford dealership, (which advertises and does repair on any year Ford) said "do you really want me to charge you about 1500 for a timing chain?, It all gonna be labor..."

I've known him for years and he has a good "read-out" of what I can do...and What he would have to do on the family vehicles.

So with that in mind I made a "Ronco" invoice of this adventure, granted Steve at Bowens Ford could probably do this a bit faster, but here's my "invoice to me"

Invoice.jpg.690139139e39760d173594e51fc36c04.jpg

Now I see why Steve at my local Ford dealership, (which advertises and does repair on any year Ford) said "do you really want me to charge you about 1500 for a timing chain?, It all gonna be labor..."

I've known him for years and he has a good "read-out" of what I can do...and What he would have to do on the family vehicles.

So with that in mind I made a "Ronco" invoice of this adventure, granted Steve at Bowens Ford could probably do this a bit faster, but here's my "invoice to me"

Yup. Lots and lots of TIME! By your numbers, over 2/3's of the cost is labor. In fact, at 71% it is almost 3/4's. And that's at your cheap rate of $90/hour. :nabble_smiley_wink: