Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

This is the worst I've seen (not IRL), which is about like reamer's:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/542973/thumbnail/timingchainslack.jpg

But I can't see the phenolic teeth on that one - it looks like an all-metal cam gear to me. So I assume all its wear is at the pins & their holes in the chain.

Steve, here is my roughly 16 year old steel cam gear set on my 460. This was a pre-1972 straight up set (which no one seems to carry any more).

IMGP0722.thumb.jpg.06a3ab7e8612fbb7f6a44620274e6ef6.jpg

Steve, here is my roughly 16 year old steel cam gear set on my 460. This was a pre-1972 straight up set (which no one seems to carry any more).

Bill,

Just buy the EFI timing set.

It's double roller and straight up.

I can see why parts stores and even manufacturers aren't stocking a part obsolete by 47 years, when there's a 30 year old application that is almost duplicate.

It's roller, and not hyvo, but otherwise functionally identical.

Just concerned if 1 extra pound from the stock one matters....

Right - The total weight of the balancer doesn't matter. It is the imbalance that matters as it has to negate the imbalance of the engine. So both the balancer and the flywheel are out of balance to compensate.

I'll bet that yours is correctly balanced/imbalanced, but just weighs more than the other one.

Bill,

Just buy the EFI timing set.

It's double roller and straight up.

I can see why parts stores and even manufacturers aren't stocking a part obsolete by 47 years, when there's a 30 year old application that is almost duplicate.

It's roller, and not hyvo, but otherwise functionally identical.

I did, but when I installed that one in 1995, I didn't know what the EFI 460s had, just knew that the pre-1972 set was straight up and could be bought with a steel cam gear.

Someone mentioned a "Tin Indian" earlier, Pontiac V8s had no provision for lubing the timing chain. I had a guy I worked with had a 1972 LeMans with a 350 Pontiac engine, about every 3 years I put a nice steel gear set in it, the last time, when I opened it up, the chain looked very dry, so I took a page from Oldsmobile's book, drilled a 1/16" hole in the lifter gallery plug on the right bank so it would spray oil at the slack side of the chain. Never put another one in it, 6 years later when the TH350 quit for the 4th time, engine still ran great.

BTW, loved their timing cover to oil pan joint, cut at a 45° angle so it was easy to seal.

For you guys who mentioned the 460 water pump plate, see what happens on a Pontiac if you leave the two plates and the inlet tubes out.