Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

Three hours work to get that cover off?

I've got to give you the persistence award this week! 💪

Edit: I definitely would have cleaned that engine before touching a wrench.

Not only are you getting dirty, you're risking dropping some of that oily grit into your engine.

Are you able to get the broken bolts out of the block?

I'm glad 460's have a water pump backing plate!

My new FRPP one seems to be stainless (at least it shows no corrosion)

None of the bolts were frozen in the block, just super locked-up in the aluminum timing housing.

As I mentioned, First time on this, should have cleaned area first.

To get the broken bolts out, use my oxy torch and brought the aluminum to the melting point, and the bolt shafts to red hot, then some bees wax, (broke two ears off so cover earlier, so trash anyway).

The smaller oil pan bolts were finger loose too.

As Gary said, I now have a Speedisleeve I don't need 'caus the balancer rubber is missing chunks, and was scored up some, New balancer coming too.

None of the bolts were frozen in the block, just super locked-up in the aluminum timing housing.

To get the broken bolts out, use my oxy torch and brought the aluminum to the melting point, and the bolt shafts to red hot, then some bees wax, (broke two ears off so cover earlier, so trash anyway).

As Gary said, I now have a Speedisleeve I don't need 'caus the balancer rubber is missing chunks, and was scored up some, New balancer coming too.

This is why I said 'if the covers ears are already broke off, drill a small hole into the bolt holes and use a syringe to inject some acid'

Well, if the balancer wasn't missing chunks you'd be using that sleeve.

Your case has the mechanical fuel pump, right?

Well 7 hours in, Finally got the cover off:nabble_anim_jump:

Found it jumped a tooth and has a full inch of deflection!

It was the original timing cover and plastic gear set up.

The aluminum wall (between Water pump and chain compartment) started the corrode through too.

CompCam roller chain and gears coming soon!

Ron - That chain is the most worn one I've seen. Or, more specifically, the loosest I've seen as it may be just that the plastic is missing.

I really do NOT like the plastic on the timing sets. Had a buddy with a '70 GTO that the plastic came off the gears, plugged the oil pump pickup, and locked the engine up. And that was while it was under warranty, which was pretty short back then.

Anyway, you are going to be so pleased with how this thing runs with the new timing chain!

As for the balancer, when the rubber starts coming out the outer ring will soon slip and the balance is off and the timing marks are wrong. Glad you are replacing it as well.

Ron - That chain is the most worn one I've seen. Or, more specifically, the loosest I've seen as it may be just that the plastic is missing.

I really do NOT like the plastic on the timing sets. Had a buddy with a '70 GTO that the plastic came off the gears, plugged the oil pump pickup, and locked the engine up. And that was while it was under warranty, which was pretty short back then.

Anyway, you are going to be so pleased with how this thing runs with the new timing chain!

As for the balancer, when the rubber starts coming out the outer ring will soon slip and the balance is off and the timing marks are wrong. Glad you are replacing it as well.

Slipping balancer could explain why it reads 10°, but really isn't.

Hell of a coincidence though!

Slipping balancer could explain why it reads 10°, but really isn't.

Hell of a coincidence though!

That would be just a bit too much coincidence for me. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I'm still guessing the timing was reset after the chain jumped due to the poor way it ran. But, with that much slack I can't imagine it not jumping again, and again, and again. Unless it wouldn't run fast enough to jump?

This is the worst I've seen (not IRL), which is about like reamer's:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/542973/thumbnail/timingchainslack.jpg

But I can't see the phenolic teeth on that one - it looks like an all-metal cam gear to me. So I assume all its wear is at the pins & their holes in the chain.

Ron,

I too had to replace the timing cover on my 302, but for a different reason. In my case, the PO had crossthreaded the fuel pump bolt holes and one of them was deformed. Between that and the overall corrosion and filth of the cover, I decided to replace it.

Something to watch for with a replacement cover is how well it fits on the dowel pins. My original Ford cover fit tight on the pins, but my replacement did not. It had to be centered on the balancer during installation, which is no big deal, but it is something to check for. If it does need to be centered on the balancer, this will make lowering the oil pan almost a necessity.

Glad you found the problem in there. This thing is going to run very nice when it's all tightened back up!!

Ron,

I too had to replace the timing cover on my 302, but for a different reason. In my case, the PO had crossthreaded the fuel pump bolt holes and one of them was deformed. Between that and the overall corrosion and filth of the cover, I decided to replace it.

Something to watch for with a replacement cover is how well it fits on the dowel pins. My original Ford cover fit tight on the pins, but my replacement did not. It had to be centered on the balancer during installation, which is no big deal, but it is something to check for. If it does need to be centered on the balancer, this will make lowering the oil pan almost a necessity.

Glad you found the problem in there. This thing is going to run very nice when it's all tightened back up!!

It will act like a new truck.

Or at least, a truck you've never known.

It will act like a new truck.

Or at least, a truck you've never known.

Well I got a new balancer today, But the original weighs 5.5 lbs. This one weighs 6.5 lbs. is 1 pound heavier going to be an issue?:nabble_smiley_scared: