Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

Oh, really, older 460s (up through 1979) have the dipstick in the timing cover unless they were 4WD. 1983 up 460s have the dipstick in the pan. screw in fitting through 1987, press in 1988-1993? Then in a tube in the side of the pan with an O-ring and hairpin clip.

Older 460's found in cars and pre-bullnose trucks had a front sump.

And the oil pump didn't have that crazy long extension.

In 1980 the new truck frame put the cross member under the front and the bell tolled for Lima's in cars.

Older 460's found in cars and pre-bullnose trucks had a front sump.

And the oil pump didn't have that crazy long extension.

In 1980 the new truck frame put the cross member under the front and the bell tolled for Lima's in cars.

Actually, Jim, I believe that last Lima in a car was the 1978 Lincoln Continental (big 4dr luxo barge) my department manager at NNS had a 1979, same big tank, with a 400 in it, it did everything bat either bark or oink when you stood on it. It also got abysmal gas mileage. That and previous experience with a 351M soured me on those engines for good. When I could take a 1977 F150, 390 and 3.25 rear and pull 16-17 mpg highway, 12-14 in town, and that Lincoln struggled to get 12 highway and more like 8 in town.

I put a remanufactured engine in it for him, which had a mystery misfire, finally found it was a bent cam.

Actually, Jim, I believe that last Lima in a car was the 1978 Lincoln Continental (big 4dr luxo barge) my department manager at NNS had a 1979, same big tank, with a 400 in it, it did everything bat either bark or oink when you stood on it. It also got abysmal gas mileage. That and previous experience with a 351M soured me on those engines for good. When I could take a 1977 F150, 390 and 3.25 rear and pull 16-17 mpg highway, 12-14 in town, and that Lincoln struggled to get 12 highway and more like 8 in town.

I put a remanufactured engine in it for him, which had a mystery misfire, finally found it was a bent cam.

I guess I should have said 'as the bells tolled', ie; the 429/460 were dead in cars..

A bent cam?

How do you even do that? :nabble_anim_confused:

I guess I should have said 'as the bells tolled', ie; the 429/460 were dead in cars..

A bent cam?

How do you even do that? :nabble_anim_confused:

Good question, either bent or a poorly ground section on the base circle of one or more lobes.

As for the Lima in cars, it looks as though Ford made the decision to no longer use that family in cars starting when the block was redesigned for 1979 up usage, at that time the blocks were being built for truck use the include the HD engines (370 & 429). Those engines are as different from the lighter duty versions as the FT family is from the FEs.

Good question, either bent or a poorly ground section on the base circle of one or more lobes.

As for the Lima in cars, it looks as though Ford made the decision to no longer use that family in cars starting when the block was redesigned for 1979 up usage, at that time the blocks were being built for truck use the include the HD engines (370 & 429). Those engines are as different from the lighter duty versions as the FT family is from the FEs.

Yeah, the 370 and 429 HD engines are different with that big snout on the crank, massive thermostat housing and commonly a limited.

The first time I saw a longblock sitting around with no frame of reference I was really puzzled.

Yeah, the 370 and 429 HD engines are different with that big snout on the crank, massive thermostat housing and commonly a limited.

The first time I saw a longblock sitting around with no frame of reference I was really puzzled.

I'ts Alive! and not leaking any fluids.....yet, Fired right up, but for some reason the hyd clutch is hard as a rock.

With the T-case still out being re-sealed, I did notice the ZF output shaft is spinning even in neutral.

With engine running (idle) I can shift into any gear without the clutch, Strange?

Wondering what I did wrong, is the output shaft just spinning because there is no driveline attached?

Hmm, should I slide the tranny away from the engine and re-set?

Bolted flywheel to crank.

used clutch alignment tool to center clutch.

bolted pressure plate to flywheel.

removed alignment tool

done :nabble_anim_confused:

I'ts Alive! and not leaking any fluids.....yet, Fired right up, but for some reason the hyd clutch is hard as a rock.

With the T-case still out being re-sealed, I did notice the ZF output shaft is spinning even in neutral.

With engine running (idle) I can shift into any gear without the clutch, Strange?

Wondering what I did wrong, is the output shaft just spinning because there is no driveline attached?

removed alignment tool

It's just drag.

4th is 1:1 and the gears are always in mesh, so it turns if there's nothing there.

removed alignment tool

What do you mean "hard as a rock"?

Did you buy a performance pressure plate?

How did you bleed the slave?

Is the throwout arm properly lubricated, and clipped to the mushroom?

What do you mean "hard as a rock"?

Did you buy a performance pressure plate?

How did you bleed the slave?

Is the throwout arm properly lubricated, and clipped to the mushroom?

It had much less effort to push to the floor, This is the slave valve that goes around the input shaft. Nothing on the slave/line was touched when removing the engine. a sealed system.

May I don't have thing as aligned as I thought, I can see the slave through the cut-out in the bell housing, when the wife pushes in the clutch, the Salve is only moving about 1/4".