Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

Got the leak down tester today..

Looks like she's good for another 100,000 miles....

Set the gauge to 75 psi, and results are:

#1 75 in, 60 sustained = 20% loss

#2 75 in, 67 sustained = 11% loss

#3 75 in, 62 sustained = 18% loss

#4 75 in, 68 sustained = 10% loss

#5 75 in, 63 sustained = 16% loss

#6 75 in, 60 sustained = 20% loss

#7 75 in, 66 sustained = 12% loss

#8 75 in, 69 sustained = 10% loss

A little high on the loss side, but not an oil burner, and leaving 60' of rubber with the Cat cut out, I think its good for a few more years...

Thoughts?

Spread of 14% seems more concerning that a number like that on an engine with 100k

A HUGE part of that one wheel peel is having a straight up timing set.

I can assure you of that.

Spread of 14% seems more concerning that a number like that on an engine with 100k

A HUGE part of that one wheel peel is having a straight up timing set.

I can assure you of that.

Pretty much relative Gary

75 psi in 60 sustained = 20%

90 psi in 72 sustained =20%

98 psi in 77 sustained = 22%

Bringing it up to 98 I did get some hissing around the harmonic balancer to timing chain area.

All the air was releasing through oil breather None from exhaust or intake = rings/walls....

Pretty much relative Gary

75 psi in 60 sustained = 20%

90 psi in 72 sustained =20%

98 psi in 77 sustained = 22%

Bringing it up to 98 I did get some hissing around the harmonic balancer to timing chain area.

All the air was releasing through oil breather None from exhaust or intake = rings/walls....

Thanks, Ron. That helps. And it is pretty much as I expected - higher pressure may give more loss, but not dramatically more. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Ron. That helps. And it is pretty much as I expected - higher pressure may give more loss, but not dramatically more. :nabble_smiley_good:

Almost ready to go back to work...

With valve cover off, rockers can wiggle on the lifting rods, (must be in the position of completely closed?)

Normal?

With it passing the water-jacket pressurizing test, Compression test and leak down test....

No more excuses!

With motor out, I can drill the mounting holes in the center of the roof for the Visor, (got to paint the visor before installing)…

Oil_pan_on.thumb.jpg.7451b625bd352d30a801f61bd66ad1d2.jpg

Oil_pan1_on.thumb.jpg.93089b59566524ab608a275a6931473e.jpg

With valve cover off, rockers can wiggle on the lifting rods, (must be in the position of completely closed?)

Normal?

With it passing the water-jacket pressurizing test, Compression test and leak down test....

No more excuses!

With motor out, I can drill the mounting holes in the center of the roof for the Visor, (got to paint the visor before installing)…

Wiggle is normal.

Oil pressure to the lifters when running is what takes out the slack

Normal?

No more excuses!

Did you forget to drain the oil Ron? :nabble_anim_confused:

That's a mighty load of kitty litter you've got there. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Normal?

No more excuses!

Well that's interesting. Dipstick goes into the side of the oil pan? It goes into the block on my 302...I just assumed the 351 would be the same.

Looks great Ron. Love seeing the fresh paint. My engine was originally Ford grey as well but I was a sucker for that dark blue and had to do it.

Dipstick goes into the side of the oil pan? It goes into the block on my 302...I just assumed the 351 would be the same.
Older engines have the dipstick in the pan; newer is in the block, including 351W/5.8L.

Oh, really, older 460s (up through 1979) have the dipstick in the timing cover unless they were 4WD. 1983 up 460s have the dipstick in the pan. screw in fitting through 1987, press in 1988-1993? Then in a tube in the side of the pan with an O-ring and hairpin clip.