Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

The water pump can't create any pressure (except against a closed thermostat)

It's a circulator, and nothing more.

System pressure is created by coolant expansion as it heats up.

I hope you don't have a head gasket failing..

Put a gauge on it, or use a tester to put pressure on it for a half hour or so, before you pull the engine.

Duh!

I'm an idiot. :nabble_smiley_blush:

You already have a leak.

Nothing to see here, move along..

Duh!

I'm an idiot. :nabble_smiley_blush:

You already have a leak.

Nothing to see here, move along..

The rear of this thing is gonna be "interesting"...…

Where is all the coolant coming from? Cant see a leak from the top, the ZF hides most of the block and it looks dry...

The rear of this thing is gonna be "interesting"...…

Where is all the coolant coming from? Cant see a leak from the top, the ZF hides most of the block and it looks dry...

Run a leak-down test with the engine out. If there's a headgasket problem you'll lose air into the cooling passages or to another cylinder.

Got that leak-down tester coming this week:nabble_smiley_good:

Lots easier to do the test with the engine on the stand. Biggest problem is in laying out the balancer every 90 degrees, and that's easy. I have a small tape measure with a flat tape so it is easier to wrap around the balancer. Divide the measurement by 4 and mark it.

Put the #1 piston on TDC on the compression stroke, remove the breaker bar from the crank, and put the air to the tester. If your balancer's marks are spot-on the crank shouldn't turn. But if it is off a bit it might, so you want that breaker bar out.

Lots easier to do the test with the engine on the stand. Biggest problem is in laying out the balancer every 90 degrees, and that's easy. I have a small tape measure with a flat tape so it is easier to wrap around the balancer. Divide the measurement by 4 and mark it.

Put the #1 piston on TDC on the compression stroke, remove the breaker bar from the crank, and put the air to the tester. If your balancer's marks are spot-on the crank shouldn't turn. But if it is off a bit it might, so you want that breaker bar out.

I'm also getting one of the one-piece Felpro pan gaskets, really, no RTV? install dry?

I'm also getting one of the one-piece Felpro pan gaskets, really, no RTV? install dry?

Ford says to use sealer anyway:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/724829/thumbnail/tsb9568oilpan50l.jpg

FelPro's printed instructions say dry, but their online video says to add sealer. I use Blue Hylomar at the corners, and E6000 at the TC joint.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1053057/thumbnail/05gray14.jpg

But it's critical to shave the TC gasket before putting the pan on.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1142305/thumbnail/20181017_162529.jpg

I'm running the Fel-Pro Perma-Dry Plus 1pc pan gasket (and valve cover gaskets). I didn't personally install the pan gasket, so I don't know if they used at RTV or not, but it's still nice and dry under there. My truck is 100% drip free, and I love it...lol.