Bullnose Forums

My timing chain adventure begins..

reamer

Well, it's amazing the concrete companies didn't test their aggregate, or let it go on so long.

I read recently that the insurance program had hit its $120M hard limit.

Where is there more money for remediation?

Is Lamont going to try to suck more bucks out of Fairfield County to cover Tolland county's problems?

Anyway, it's good news that they are expanding the program to cover multi-family and detached structures.

This is going to end up a Fed-funded issue, This is getting way-to big. Many of the town's tax bases are quickly eroding, a 400,000 dollar house is now being assessed at 80-100grand, times thousands of houses = catastrophe.

Back to the original thread topic, there are 3 "lumps" in the exhaust system, last one is muffler, middle one is the cat, what is the first one by the collector?

This is going to end up a Fed-funded issue, This is getting way-to big. Many of the town's tax bases are quickly eroding, a 400,000 dollar house is now being assessed at 80-100grand, times thousands of houses = catastrophe.

Back to the original thread topic, there are 3 "lumps" in the exhaust system, last one is muffler, middle one is the cat, what is the first one by the collector?

Some of these trucks had two cats.

Early cats did 1 thing: reduce HC emissions (oxidation). Later, cats that reduced NOx, CO, & other contaminants (3-way cats) were invented, so some vehicles were built with both. Later, they were combined into 1 housing, as this shows:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/548328/thumbnail/catdual.jpg

Later, they gained the ability to store Oxygen, so the smog pump (secondary air) was eliminated.

Pre-Cat.

This was small enough to get hot quickly, and to burn off excess fuel (mostly CO)

It acted like tinder for the larger (actual) converter, and got it up to operating temperature more quickly.

The actual catalyst has evolved over the years to contain elements other than platinum, such as rhodium and palladium.

Because it is a multi-step process where oxygen is stripped from NOx and combusted with CO to form CO2, O3 is reduced and combined with raw hydrocarbons to form water vapor, etc.

Pre-Cat.

This was small enough to get hot quickly, and to burn off excess fuel (mostly CO)

It acted like tinder for the larger (actual) converter, and got it up to operating temperature more quickly.

The actual catalyst has evolved over the years to contain elements other than platinum, such as rhodium and palladium.

Because it is a multi-step process where oxygen is stripped from NOx and combusted with CO to form CO2, O3 is reduced and combined with raw hydrocarbons to form water vapor, etc.

From what I remember on the first cat systems, the front was the reducing catalyst, worked in the absence of O2, and the second one was the oxidizing catalyst, worked with excess O2. Yes, they were combined but initially they still had the air pump injecting O2 into the space between the two beds. That is what the 460s had from day one in the 1988 models. The only change on them was the air injection into the manifolds from 1993-97.

From what I remember on the first cat systems, the front was the reducing catalyst, worked in the absence of O2, and the second one was the oxidizing catalyst, worked with excess O2. Yes, they were combined but initially they still had the air pump injecting O2 into the space between the two beds. That is what the 460s had from day one in the 1988 models. The only change on them was the air injection into the manifolds from 1993-97.

Going up!

Here's a couple of shots of the foundation replacement in process, Amazing the breezeway and garage are right with the house, (notice the AC still in the window, and the flag still up)

They get under and break up the foundation, floor, footings. Pour new and lower down.

They bought the house for 250K, replacement cost for foundation is over 150K

Deetz.thumb.jpg.79a85a9bff02aa7e1cfae81106cb1316.jpg

detz.jpg.202716ae72f65cfbc772a068450f80d5.jpg

Going up!

Here's a couple of shots of the foundation replacement in process, Amazing the breezeway and garage are right with the house, (notice the AC still in the window, and the flag still up)

They get under and break up the foundation, floor, footings. Pour new and lower down.

Is that your house????

Going up!

There's some bux to be made there!

I wish I was better capitalized.

There's some bux to be made there!

I wish I was better capitalized.

Thankfully not my house, A friends, I only have to deal with a detached garage... Paperwork is on-going...Meanwhile back at the ranch, preparing to pull the 351 to do the freeze plugs and oil pan gasket.

Remember the pin-hole in the plug in the photo? there's something really going on at the rear of the block, Fire up the truck and it lets loose like a garden hose!

Way too much volume for a lowly pin hole on the side... can't wait to see this one. Must be the pressure from the new water pump was too much for 34 year old plugs to handle...

While at it, I'm pulling the T-case, that leaks more than the engine, Ironically the ZF is dry but chatters like crazy at highway speeds when there is no load on the drivetrain...leaving the ZF alone for now...

Thankfully not my house, A friends, I only have to deal with a detached garage... Paperwork is on-going...Meanwhile back at the ranch, preparing to pull the 351 to do the freeze plugs and oil pan gasket.

Remember the pin-hole in the plug in the photo? there's something really going on at the rear of the block, Fire up the truck and it lets loose like a garden hose!

Way too much volume for a lowly pin hole on the side... can't wait to see this one. Must be the pressure from the new water pump was too much for 34 year old plugs to handle...

While at it, I'm pulling the T-case, that leaks more than the engine, Ironically the ZF is dry but chatters like crazy at highway speeds when there is no load on the drivetrain...leaving the ZF alone for now...

The water pump can't create any pressure (except against a closed thermostat)

It's a circulator, and nothing more.

System pressure is created by coolant expansion as it heats up.

I hope you don't have a head gasket failing..

Put a gauge on it, or use a tester to put pressure on it for a half hour or so, before you pull the engine.