Bullnose Forums

New fuel tank and sending unit weirdness (Questions)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does the rear tank hold? Or, how much is it supposed to hold?
Consider these charts:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/739630/thumbnail/fuelcapacity925.jpg

Steve - You have lots of good info, but I don't understand the layout of your stuff. And while I may be the only one that understands the layout here, it does seem logical to me.

In this case the information from Ford's Master Parts Catalog is at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part #'s/Fuel Tanks. And it should be easy for anyone to answer the question about fuel tank capacities.

3720312.thumb.jpg.246a4d16ac42e7821caa7981f3edc83d.jpg

8005830.thumb.jpg.bb275e720fd95a1b552c01d8130b9aa2.jpg

4447078.thumb.jpg.f44b44584deb29f00ec7995b727a6180.jpg

Is it possible that fuel is being transferred from one tank to the other? :nabble_anim_confused:

Interesting question, David. Ray and I saw that happening on his '86, but it had the electric fuel pumps and a return system and the valve was returning to the wrong tank. However, Jim has a mechanical pump.....

Jim - Do you have a return? As in the hot-fuel handling setup? I didn't think the hot fuel handling system was used with a mechanical pump, but maybe you added the mechanical pump and left the hot-fuel system?

Is it possible that fuel is being transferred from one tank to the other? :nabble_anim_confused:

Interesting question, David. Ray and I saw that happening on his '86, but it had the electric fuel pumps and a return system and the valve was returning to the wrong tank. However, Jim has a mechanical pump.....

Jim - Do you have a return? As in the hot-fuel handling setup? I didn't think the hot fuel handling system was used with a mechanical pump, but maybe you added the mechanical pump and left the hot-fuel system?

Nope Gary.

Pump on the timing case from day one.

My switch valve is good and no transfer or the front tank would overflow.

I just filled up, 17.12 gallons from dry in the rear.

I used to squeeze in almost 20 when full to the neck.

Something's definitely weird.

Nope Gary.

Pump on the timing case from day one.

My switch valve is good and no transfer or the front tank would overflow.

I just filled up, 17.12 gallons from dry in the rear.

I used to squeeze in almost 20 when full to the neck.

Something's definitely weird.

Jim, is the rear tank dented from striking something?