Bullnose Forums

Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

Yeah, that's the name of the place. But I've been thinking about changing that. Seems ostentatious. Not my style. I like the Bullnose Bible better. But the URL I've got reserved is Gary's Garagemahal.

Maybe we should change the name?

IMNSHO, you shouldn't change a thing.

This is your garagemahal, and I'm fine with that.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jim.

The last page of this thread has been slightly off topic. So let me get it back on track with some plans, and then I'll come back and tell y'all what I've done in a few days - when I get to do it.

I've already used the wire wheel to take the edges off off the Sky brackets and shackles, so when I get the shop clean and organized again I'm going to blast and powder coat those parts black. (Plus, while I'm doing that I'll also blast the hideous red off of the perches and engine mount plates and then PC them black as well.) And I'll also press the bushings into the shackles. Then I'll mount the brackets and shackles, and be ready when the new front bracket comes in.

Thanks, Jim.

The last page of this thread has been slightly off topic. So let me get it back on track with some plans, and then I'll come back and tell y'all what I've done in a few days - when I get to do it.

I've already used the wire wheel to take the edges off off the Sky brackets and shackles, so when I get the shop clean and organized again I'm going to blast and powder coat those parts black. (Plus, while I'm doing that I'll also blast the hideous red off of the perches and engine mount plates and then PC them black as well.) And I'll also press the bushings into the shackles. Then I'll mount the brackets and shackles, and be ready when the new front bracket comes in.

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes it is, Jim. And, while the shop BADLY needs to be cleaned, while I was doing the cleaning I realized that there was a bolt hole open. After a bit of thinking about it I realized that it is the back bolt for the little factory crossmember that is right behind the front spring's front shackle.

The front bolt hole just holds the crossmember against the frame, and since there's no need for that crossmember with Sky's much bigger one just in front of it, that bolt hole doesn't need to be filled. But the rear bolt hole holds the frame liner to the frame as well as the crossmember on, so it is needed.

Having said that, it is just a 7/16" bolt, and the ones that came with Big Blue were G5's, which have a max torque value of 37 ft-lbs. I did a double-take on that one, but that's right. So I pulled out a 31/64" (.4843") reamer and took the holes out for a 1/2" bolt. The G8's tapped themselves in nicely and torqued down to spec, 106 ft-lbs, very nicely. I think that's an upgrade. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, I'm thinking about tack-welding them. Thoughts?

Front_Crossmember_Bolt_-_Upsized.thumb.jpg.675ae07c01406c34da274e27b62187c1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Bottom Line: factory is 2 1/2" & Sky is 1" . So the delta is 1 1/2" and I should be able to replace the factory DS bracket with the Sky bracket and then measure 55 1/2" minus 1 1/2" equals 54" to position the front bracket when it comes in.

The new front bracket came in today. :nabble_smiley_happy: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_anim_claps:

New_Sky_Bracket_in_Place_For_Testing.thumb.jpg.22bca87473aaa7360846f856b926df09.jpg

Bottom Line: factory is 2 1/2" & Sky is 1" . So the delta is 1 1/2" and I should be able to replace the factory DS bracket with the Sky bracket and then measure 55 1/2" minus 1 1/2" equals 54" to position the front bracket when it comes in.

The new front bracket came in today. :nabble_smiley_happy: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_anim_claps:

I was wondering what the status was on this. Glad the new one fits just right. Any word from Eric on whether these will be the new ones sent out?

I was wondering what the status was on this. Glad the new one fits just right. Any word from Eric on whether these will be the new ones sent out?

Not "will be", but "have been". Vincent Wayne Thomason from FB has been talking with me about this in the background and had ordered the kit on a Friday when I found the problem. Luckily Sky is closed on Friday's, so it didn't go out. His is due to arrive tomorrow.

Not "will be", but "have been". Vincent Wayne Thomason from FB has been talking with me about this in the background and had ordered the kit on a Friday when I found the problem. Luckily Sky is closed on Friday's, so it didn't go out. His is due to arrive tomorrow.

Good to hear.