Bullnose Forums

Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

So, what is different about your frame?

It's just a flat rail, and none of the holes match those on a 4x4 frame. There's no spring hanger for the frame box to weld to, so I would end up with a gaping hole to fill, in order to fully box the inner frame box. That's what has had me on the fence about this kit the entire time.

I'm not bailing on Sky, I don't have time or the skills to build out my own RSK, but I might bail on this kit for the "universal" crossmember since it will save me time and it essentially does the same thing. The appeal for this kit was that it was 100% bolt on, but if I have to weld in a patch to the frame box to make it work for my application, then why not just weld up the F150/Bronco crossmember to the frame?

I may be able to adapt the 92-96 frame box kit to work in my application, so that I could bolt up the 92-96 RSK. But if that won't work, then my only option is the "universal" crossmember.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what is different about your frame?

It's just a flat rail, and none of the holes match those on a 4x4 frame. There's no spring hanger for the frame box to weld to, so I would end up with a gaping hole to fill, in order to fully box the inner frame box. That's what has had me on the fence about this kit the entire time.

I'm not bailing on Sky, I don't have time or the skills to build out my own RSK, but I might bail on this kit for the "universal" crossmember since it will save me time and it essentially does the same thing. The appeal for this kit was that it was 100% bolt on, but if I have to weld in a patch to the frame box to make it work for my application, then why not just weld up the F150/Bronco crossmember to the frame?

I may be able to adapt the 92-96 frame box kit to work in my application, so that I could bolt up the 92-96 RSK. But if that won't work, then my only option is the "universal" crossmember.

Shaun - I would think that the only thing Sky would have to do would be to give you a different frame box for frames w/o the front shackles. And, the dimensions for where to drill the holes, both for the front bolts as well as the rear hanger for the springs - assuming the rear holes don't already exist.

I'd think they'd want to develop that box to be able to sell a kit to those of you with 2wd frames. I know that Vincent Wayne Thomason is doing the same thing and is asking me for the dimensions.

Shaun - I would think that the only thing Sky would have to do would be to give you a different frame box for frames w/o the front shackles. And, the dimensions for where to drill the holes, both for the front bolts as well as the rear hanger for the springs - assuming the rear holes don't already exist.

I'd think they'd want to develop that box to be able to sell a kit to those of you with 2wd frames. I know that Vincent Wayne Thomason is doing the same thing and is asking me for the dimensions.

They already have 2wd frame boxes for the 92-96 trucks that *might* work for the older trucks too, but I would have to measure my truck to see. But the R&D it would take for them to make a kit for these trucks is gonna create a timeline that puts me way past when I want this thing on all four wheels. I'm not willing to wait months for a bolt-on kit when I could just weld on the Bronco/F150 crossmember.

They already have 2wd frame boxes for the 92-96 trucks that *might* work for the older trucks too, but I would have to measure my truck to see. But the R&D it would take for them to make a kit for these trucks is gonna create a timeline that puts me way past when I want this thing on all four wheels. I'm not willing to wait months for a bolt-on kit when I could just weld on the Bronco/F150 crossmember.

Pretty sure they are using the same frame box for all of the 4wd trucks from 85 to well into the 90's. So if they have a 2wd frame box for the 92-96 trucks it should work fine. But that is something that you'd have to ask Erik: 541-736-3743 and then press 3. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I think he'll ship me a new crossmember early next week to solve the problem with the 55 1/2".

By the way, does your frame have holes for the rear spring hanger? Did I ask and forget? :nabble_smiley_sad:

Pretty sure they are using the same frame box for all of the 4wd trucks from 85 to well into the 90's. So if they have a 2wd frame box for the 92-96 trucks it should work fine. But that is something that you'd have to ask Erik: 541-736-3743 and then press 3. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I think he'll ship me a new crossmember early next week to solve the problem with the 55 1/2".

By the way, does your frame have holes for the rear spring hanger? Did I ask and forget? :nabble_smiley_sad:

There are no holes for the rear spring hanger. The radius arm bracket holes don't even line up. Everything is different between the F250 and F350 4x2 and 4x4 frames up front.

There are no holes for the rear spring hanger. The radius arm bracket holes don't even line up. Everything is different between the F250 and F350 4x2 and 4x4 frames up front.

Interesting. I'll be anxious to see how you do this.

Today I'll be measuring where the holes are for a guy on FB, and posting the info here. He thinks he needs it in order to place the rear shackle for his kit he's already ordered from Sky. But, as his is also a 2wd it may get interesting. Sure wish he was on here to document what he finds and does.

Interesting. I'll be anxious to see how you do this.

Today I'll be measuring where the holes are for a guy on FB, and posting the info here. He thinks he needs it in order to place the rear shackle for his kit he's already ordered from Sky. But, as his is also a 2wd it may get interesting. Sure wish he was on here to document what he finds and does.

Ok, here are my measurements for the holes on the rear spring hanger, all referenced from the front cab mount rivets. But, note that these are NOT precise, regardless of how precise they look.

Having said that, I don't think the measurements are critical. I say that because if you are installing a Sky RSK then you can lay out the holes to drill using it as a template.

However, note that the measurements in yellow are for the factory 4wd rear spring eye bolt, and will be different on Sky's RSK. I'll try to remember to get those measurements and include them here just for completeness once I get the rear brackets installed.

Rear_Spring_Hanger_Dimensions_-_Cropped.thumb.jpg.8d7eacd2d57674aaba4dafa6907d9518.jpg

Ok, here are my measurements for the holes on the rear spring hanger, all referenced from the front cab mount rivets. But, note that these are NOT precise, regardless of how precise they look.

Having said that, I don't think the measurements are critical. I say that because if you are installing a Sky RSK then you can lay out the holes to drill using it as a template.

However, note that the measurements in yellow are for the factory 4wd rear spring eye bolt, and will be different on Sky's RSK. I'll try to remember to get those measurements and include them here just for completeness once I get the rear brackets installed.

After measuring my truck, it looks like the bottom of the frame will cause issues with the 92-96 frame box kit.

I think I'm just going to go with the Bronco/F150 crossmember since it will only require measuring and welding plus drilling 8 holes versus having to drill 16. Plus I know for 100% certainty it will work in my application.

Thank you for the rear hanger measurements, they will help locate the bracket once I order the kit.

After measuring my truck, it looks like the bottom of the frame will cause issues with the 92-96 frame box kit.

I think I'm just going to go with the Bronco/F150 crossmember since it will only require measuring and welding plus drilling 8 holes versus having to drill 16. Plus I know for 100% certainty it will work in my application.

Thank you for the rear hanger measurements, they will help locate the bracket once I order the kit.

Ok Shaun, makes sense.

As said, I've been discussing this with Vincent Wayne Thomason on the Bullnose Fords 80-86 FB page. He's the one that ordered the kit on Thursday. Here's his recent post:

I have a 1986 2wd F350. I'll box in whatever I have to I didn't expect it to be direct bolt in for my application. I have all the tools necessary to cut and weld it as I see fit to get it boxed appropriately. Also I finally looked at my truck and I'm pretty sure mine does not have all the holes needed for the rear hangers, but does have the holes directly underneath the body mount. 🤷‍♂️

I'll make an account on the forum so that I can do the write up for any 2wd folks wanting to tackle this as well. I also plan to video what I can and upload to YouTube.

I'll post pictures of what I've got on my frame in a few minutes

Ok Shaun, makes sense.

As said, I've been discussing this with Vincent Wayne Thomason on the Bullnose Fords 80-86 FB page. He's the one that ordered the kit on Thursday. Here's his recent post:

I have a 1986 2wd F350. I'll box in whatever I have to I didn't expect it to be direct bolt in for my application. I have all the tools necessary to cut and weld it as I see fit to get it boxed appropriately. Also I finally looked at my truck and I'm pretty sure mine does not have all the holes needed for the rear hangers, but does have the holes directly underneath the body mount. 🤷‍♂️

I'll make an account on the forum so that I can do the write up for any 2wd folks wanting to tackle this as well. I also plan to video what I can and upload to YouTube.

I'll post pictures of what I've got on my frame in a few minutes

Oh, I almost forgot. After taking the measurements posted above I was going to take the passenger's side rear spring mount off so at least I'd get something done. But, after looking it over I realized it's going to be a bear to get to them with a cutoff wheel.

So I thought I'd use Steve/FoxFord33's recommendation to use an air chisel. But then I realized I don't have a chisel to go in my air hammer and took a trip to Tractor Supply and got these. Hopefully they'll make what looks to be a tough job lots easier.