Bullnose Forums

Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

Gary, the 05+ kit is up on their website. Right now it's only listed for the 92-97 trucks, but we all know there's somebody who is going to adapt it, if not Eric himself.

As for the U-bolts, Sky is actually in a fair spot, I think I usually pay $50 for a set of U bolts from RuffStuff.

I swore off of Moog a long time ago, their boots are garbage and always tear on me.

Yes, I see the coil kit. I don't think there's enough difference between 85 and 92 frames to make the adaptation difficult.

But there are things that I don't understand, such as "Bracket will not yield as much uptravel without a stock diff cover." Would I not be able to run an Ox locker w/o limiting travel? (That's a moot point as I'm not going that way."

On the u-bolts, I've seen them closer to $40, but I know the SORD quality will be good and will fit. Plus they come with washers, which most don't.

So, if not Moog for tie rods then what? Whom? Which? I'll be ordering soon. (The WHOLE steering/suspension and front driveline will be NEW!)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I see the coil kit. I don't think there's enough difference between 85 and 92 frames to make the adaptation difficult.

But there are things that I don't understand, such as "Bracket will not yield as much uptravel without a stock diff cover." Would I not be able to run an Ox locker w/o limiting travel? (That's a moot point as I'm not going that way."

On the u-bolts, I've seen them closer to $40, but I know the SORD quality will be good and will fit. Plus they come with washers, which most don't.

So, if not Moog for tie rods then what? Whom? Which? I'll be ordering soon. (The WHOLE steering/suspension and front driveline will be NEW!)

Currie and TRW have always been good for me.

But then, I thought Moog was good product too. :nabble_anim_confused:

I guess when R&D and QC go overseas the quality does too.

Currie and TRW have always been good for me.

But then, I thought Moog was good product too. :nabble_anim_confused:

I guess when R&D and QC go overseas the quality does too.

The reason the shock plate hits the diff is fairly obvious here. The difference in total thickness of the spring packs is 1.782 - 1.213 = .569". That will do it. So I'll trim the shock plate and that'll fix it.....

1995_F350_Springs.thumb.jpg.f3380e55c8cfc51d53cdbf0c764a1c47.jpgSuper_Duty_Spring_Thickness.thumb.jpg.f3e15f93f22b00a50e71864b743c5e9e.jpg

The reason the shock plate hits the diff is fairly obvious here. The difference in total thickness of the spring packs is 1.782 - 1.213 = .569". That will do it. So I'll trim the shock plate and that'll fix it.....

That riser plate is your answer, I was going to suggest that but I wasn't sure if the OBS F350's had them.

That riser plate is your answer, I was going to suggest that but I wasn't sure if the OBS F350's had them.
Yep, that was the issue. I took 1/2" off the shock plate, and that gave me .2" clearance, as shown below. So I could have taken 3/8" off. Or even .25" and then beveled the bottom edge. But it looks like if the axle moves straight up into the bump stop there will now be only 2" of contact instead of 2 1/2". And if the DS wheel comes up and the PS doesn't then it'll hit fully.

DS_Shock_Plate_Shortened.thumb.jpg.33f99e7d1556ae11c83f4c34fc93d24d.jpg

And now I'm tightening all of the fasteners using the torque specs in this extract from the '95 FSM:

Yep, that was the issue. I took 1/2" off the shock plate, and that gave me .2" clearance, as shown below. So I could have taken 3/8" off. Or even .25" and then beveled the bottom edge. But it looks like if the axle moves straight up into the bump stop there will now be only 2" of contact instead of 2 1/2". And if the DS wheel comes up and the PS doesn't then it'll hit fully.

And now I'm tightening all of the fasteners using the torque specs in this extract from the '95 FSM:

I thought I posted this, but apparently not. Anyway, I bolted the '95 shock tower up using two of the four bolts, as shown, and then held a framing square up against the eye on the lower plate. It lines up perfectly with the top of the tower, so there's no need to drill four holes, just use the existing ones and drill two more.1995_Shock_Tower_Lines_Up.thumb.jpg.95a0b3f58bf83c245f69f7b6b4822ddb.jpgThen I trial-fitted one of the shocks - perfect! So tomorrow I'll drill two more holes on each side and bolt the shock towers in and then mount the shocks.Shock_Test_Mounted.thumb.jpg.fa453177f09ec9be3640b941eef6094a.jpgBut wait, there's more! I mounted the panhard rod bracket on the engine crossmember. And with that, I'm done for the day. :nabble_smiley_wink:Panhard_Bracket_On.thumb.jpg.2ab727146a52bae5c7a713b27c15a99a.jpg

I thought I posted this, but apparently not. Anyway, I bolted the '95 shock tower up using two of the four bolts, as shown, and then held a framing square up against the eye on the lower plate. It lines up perfectly with the top of the tower, so there's no need to drill four holes, just use the existing ones and drill two more.

Then I trial-fitted one of the shocks - perfect! So tomorrow I'll drill two more holes on each side and bolt the shock towers in and then mount the shocks.

But wait, there's more! I mounted the panhard rod bracket on the engine crossmember. And with that, I'm done for the day. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well I feel better knowing that the angle of the shock must not matter that much. I can understand minor variations but to move it that far and have it be okay is wild. It must have to do with the stud style shock. I would love to see where the front shock is mounted on a bricknose F250 because there's no way you could get away with that big of a difference on an eyelet style upper. Jim?

Well I feel better knowing that the angle of the shock must not matter that much. I can understand minor variations but to move it that far and have it be okay is wild. It must have to do with the stud style shock. I would love to see where the front shock is mounted on a bricknose F250 because there's no way you could get away with that big of a difference on an eyelet style upper. Jim?

:nabble_waving_orig: I'm here...!

It's been raining quite a bit, but if the ground is firm I'll put my truck up and pull a wheel.

What measurements do you want?

And a pic from approximately the same angle???

I have plenty of framing squares but there's no way one would fit, axle to shock tower like that.

If I had more time this week, it might have been the motivation I needed to wrestle heavy pieces and get all my front suspension bushings and shackles changed.

But I don't like working on my back in the mud, and I have WAY too much to finish before I dig into something like that.

:nabble_waving_orig: I'm here...!

It's been raining quite a bit, but if the ground is firm I'll put my truck up and pull a wheel.

What measurements do you want?

And a pic from approximately the same angle???

I have plenty of framing squares but there's no way one would fit, axle to shock tower like that.

If I had more time this week, it might have been the motivation I needed to wrestle heavy pieces and get all my front suspension bushings and shackles changed.

But I don't like working on my back in the mud, and I have WAY too much to finish before I dig into something like that.

No need for an 8 page micro analysis, just a picture looking straight at the shock would suffice. :nabble_smiley_good: