Bullnose Forums

Rear disc brake conversion

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

That makes sense! Duh!

Ok, update on this, left side is now done, had some issues getting the runout the rotor in tolerance. But both sides are done, and for my next trick, ring and pinion along with tone ring and bearings.

DSCN3643.thumb.jpg.4a670818fa32e5f2fb872f71f678d9a0.jpg

Drain plug in bottom where the low area of the casting is, 3/8" NPT and a nice hex socket plug.

DSCN3636.thumb.jpg.cc89e17e7cb3e54d437f04598fad554b.jpg

And the fun begins, differential is out, if the bolts I bought will do it I will be able to persuade the companion flange to let go of the pinion splines.

DSCN3644.thumb.jpg.572524fc8d84b485e8ab3bf71549c544.jpg

My next major project was to be a rear disc conversion on 'The Beast'. The reasoning was that I knew that one rear brake was screwed up, and to do any work on the rear brakes requires pulling the axle. My thinking was that the conversion (which from sales literature sounds really easy) would save me from ever having to pull an axle after that if I only had to install new brake pads.

I was looking at the ruffstuff kit for my Dana 70U rear.

After reading your right up, I'm rethinking this project. Maybe I'm better off just keeping (and fixing) the factory brake setup.

One question - I didn't understand where the water in the differential came from. Was the axle left out in the rain with the axles pulled?

My next major project was to be a rear disc conversion on 'The Beast'. The reasoning was that I knew that one rear brake was screwed up, and to do any work on the rear brakes requires pulling the axle. My thinking was that the conversion (which from sales literature sounds really easy) would save me from ever having to pull an axle after that if I only had to install new brake pads.

I was looking at the ruffstuff kit for my Dana 70U rear.

After reading your right up, I'm rethinking this project. Maybe I'm better off just keeping (and fixing) the factory brake setup.

One question - I didn't understand where the water in the differential came from. Was the axle left out in the rain with the axles pulled?

Brandon/Bruno2 has been telling me that the E-Series vans had a disc brake setup and that it may be a bolt-on for our trucks. He's supposed to be researching it and will report back.

As for water, is the vent hose still on the axle? There's a hose from the brake junction block that is supposed to go up and clip to the frame. But sometimes it gets old and breaks off, allowing water in. You can see it in the illustrations on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Rear Axle Vents.

Brandon/Bruno2 has been telling me that the E-Series vans had a disc brake setup and that it may be a bolt-on for our trucks. He's supposed to be researching it and will report back.

As for water, is the vent hose still on the axle? There's a hose from the brake junction block that is supposed to go up and clip to the frame. But sometimes it gets old and breaks off, allowing water in. You can see it in the illustrations on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Rear Axle Vents.

The E-series still used the Dana rear axles, the one you have to pull the axle to get the hub off. Baddog8it, your truck may have the Sterling, 1985 was the change year.

The water could have come from the truck it was pulled from, or sitting around first in John's yard then on my trailer. The vent hose was broken, but the nipple was plugged with crud.

So far, one of the differential side bearings is pitted (new ones in installation kit) and the pinion bearings feel rough when turning it.

Today, I will see if I can coax the companion flange (Ford's term) off the pinion.

The E-series still used the Dana rear axles, the one you have to pull the axle to get the hub off. Baddog8it, your truck may have the Sterling, 1985 was the change year.

The water could have come from the truck it was pulled from, or sitting around first in John's yard then on my trailer. The vent hose was broken, but the nipple was plugged with crud.

So far, one of the differential side bearings is pitted (new ones in installation kit) and the pinion bearings feel rough when turning it.

Today, I will see if I can coax the companion flange (Ford's term) off the pinion.

"coax" is a kind word for a B*H and a chunk of brass bar stock? :nabble_anim_confused:

I know nothing about getting caliper hangers on a Dana axle.

But I DO know that van frames are much narrower than pickups, so you have to reweld the spring perches and shock mounts.

"coax" is a kind word for a B*H and a chunk of brass bar stock? :nabble_anim_confused:

I know nothing about getting caliper hangers on a Dana axle.

But I DO know that van frames are much narrower than pickups, so you have to reweld the spring perches and shock mounts.

Jim, I am using my balancer puller with a couple of Gr 8 5/16-24 bolts.