Bullnose Forums

Rear disc brake conversion

Recommendations for a source for R&P and shim kit. At least I have a press now and do have the tool kit.

In spite of what others have said, I've heard and read good things about East Coast Gears. I'll have to check to see what was put in the front of the D60, but at one point he was going to use Nitro gears. However, my nephew said to stay away from them as one set he get were not finished well.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In spite of what others have said, I've heard and read good things about East Coast Gears. I'll have to check to see what was put in the front of the D60, but at one point he was going to use Nitro gears. However, my nephew said to stay away from them as one set he get were not finished well.

What's the problem with factory gears?

Are they too expensive?

I've had a Yukon R&P since I split my carrier in half back in the mid oughts.

They seem to hold up to all the punishment I dish out.

Ol' Paul Nelson set them up for me.

All i did was let them cool in the first few hundred miles, and change the fluid at about 600.

What's the problem with factory gears?

Are they too expensive?

I've had a Yukon R&P since I split my carrier in half back in the mid oughts.

They seem to hold up to all the punishment I dish out.

Ol' Paul Nelson set them up for me.

All i did was let them cool in the first few hundred miles, and change the fluid at about 600.

I was just asking for opinions on sources. I will be doing the setup, just like I did mine. I may call Kool Ford and see what the parts run there. I did suggest he might want to consider a different ratio since we have go into it, current is a 4.10, I suggested maybe 3.73 since it's a Powerstroke and he doesn't do any real heavy towing with it. Darth does quite well with a 3.55.

Factory gears NLA from Ford, any ratio.

I was just asking for opinions on sources. I will be doing the setup, just like I did mine. I may call Kool Ford and see what the parts run there. I did suggest he might want to consider a different ratio since we have go into it, current is a 4.10, I suggested maybe 3.73 since it's a Powerstroke and he doesn't do any real heavy towing with it. Darth does quite well with a 3.55.

Most of the trucks I had were 4.10’s.

I really like the 3.55 in my truck.

When I bought the D60 with 4.10's I thought about going to them all the way around. But the math just didn't work. Even with the ZF's overdrive it was still going to be turning too many R's on the highway. And, the 3.55's work nicely for towing in 4th. I like them.

It's even nicer with an OD gear, Darth is turning 1500 rpm at 55, that is between the E4OD overdrive ratio and the lockup converter.

Ok, update on the rear disc conversion. All parts ordered, new wheel bearings for the left side, new 3.73 gears and installation kit, and due to (a) the rust on it and (b) the fact that it has to come off to do the ring gear, a new tone ring for the ABS/speedometer. He was going to order some drain plug kit for the cover, I told him a nice hex socket pipe plug in the bottom of the center casting would be better as it will drain it fully.

Ok, update on the rear disc conversion. All parts ordered, new wheel bearings for the left side, new 3.73 gears and installation kit, and due to (a) the rust on it and (b) the fact that it has to come off to do the ring gear, a new tone ring for the ABS/speedometer. He was going to order some drain plug kit for the cover, I told him a nice hex socket pipe plug in the bottom of the center casting would be better as it will drain it fully.

Going with 3.73's should help him a bit on MPG. Does this thing have the speedo gear or, more likely, the electric sensor?