Bullnose Forums

Rear disc brake conversion

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! Progress is good.

But, isn't being a pioneer fun? :nabble_smiley_cry:

If they pay me for helping re-engineer it it would be nice. As far as being a pioneer, I am pretty used to it.

Well, today unearthed or peeled whichever you prefer a new issue. The left side wheel bearings sat with a bit of water in them, so the cups and rollers, and probably the cones are pitted and need to be replaced.

John wants me to pull the cover off and inspect the differential for possible water damage since we are this far into it.

Other than Ford, NAPA looks like the best bet for decent quality parts, but for reference they have the Scotseals, but at nearly twice what Ford wants for them. Amazon has the Motorcraft seals at $24.79.

Well, today unearthed or peeled whichever you prefer a new issue. The left side wheel bearings sat with a bit of water in them, so the cups and rollers, and probably the cones are pitted and need to be replaced.

John wants me to pull the cover off and inspect the differential for possible water damage since we are this far into it.

Other than Ford, NAPA looks like the best bet for decent quality parts, but for reference they have the Scotseals, but at nearly twice what Ford wants for them. Amazon has the Motorcraft seals at $24.79.

Isn't that par for the course? If you take something apart you'll find other issues while in there.

Or, to put it another way, it is hard to concentrate on draining the swamp when the alligators are after you.

Once you have a cross referenceable number (Like National, Gates, Timken, or the manufacturer) you can almost always find it faster and cheaper than driving to the auto parts.

Isn't that par for the course? If you take something apart you'll find other issues while in there.

Or, to put it another way, it is hard to concentrate on draining the swamp when the alligators are after you.

Well, the onion peeling went well, but, when I pulled the cover off, and rotated the gears, I found this:

IMG_2229.thumb.jpg.8f1246d739641258ebe545701ba1e0ab.jpg

Well, the onion peeling went well, but, when I pulled the cover off, and rotated the gears, I found this:

So now the question comes, who is a good source for gears, it is a 1995 F350 10.25" Ford/Sterling rear, currently with 4.10 gears. This is a 4.10 limited slip unit which is why it is being set up with the disc brakes.

Oh no! I'm sure it'll buff out. NOT! :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, what's the plan, Stan?

So now the question comes, who is a good source for gears, it is a 1995 F350 10.25" Ford/Sterling rear, currently with 4.10 gears. This is a 4.10 limited slip unit which is why it is being set up with the disc brakes.

Good thing he insisted you check. 😕

4,10 Sterling's used to be a dime a dozen.

I could get them for close to scrap price from Brookfield.