Bullnose Forums

Post-Paint Undercoating Ideas

After the paint is done and while the cab is still stripped I was wondering what you guys thought about these items in regards to undercoating.

Goal being rust prevention.

1. Inside the door bottoms. Stick something like putty knives or wood shims up the drain holes, spray the undercoating along the door bottom on the inside and then pull out the spacers while still wet.

2. Cab corners. Do these rust out from inside or outside the cab? If inside, spray undercoating in the corners.

3. Door sill trough/channel. Tape off and spray inside the trough.

4. Inside the fenders anywhere?

Any other places that would be good to hit with undercoating?

Cowl was already done in body color undercoating.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not a big fan of undercoating.

Inside the doors I'd rather spray something like that rustoleum leak stopper stuff.

This will make a complete bladder and bond better than anything short of professional bedliner.

In the cab you could do front to back from the downslope of the floor pan.

Having the pinch weld used for the door gasket means any slush or whatever just sits there.

A good idea is to get rid of any of that absorbent jute padding.

That stuff holds water like a sponge and starts to fester.

Some kind of closed cell foam like ensolite or even an old yoga mat is much better.

Fenders rot in the front back corners and above the rear wheels.

Spray up behind the plastic wheel liners, and consider drilling some big holes in the rear metal fender arch support.

Then water and muck have a way out, and you can flush it with a hose.

That's all I've got.

Make sure your cowl drains are open and free of muck.

I'm going to delete the rubber spouts entirely.

There shouldn't be any debris stuck in there without them

Thanks.

I have always been hesitant on the undercoating also due to the inability to see behind it so I'll check out the rustoleum product. Edit: just did and is it the same as flex seal aerosol? I used that in my 80's cowl as a quick fix and liked how it flowed out.

I wondered about the real benefit of those duck bills. If they are just for mice (?) then I'd rather take my chance with the mice.

I was going to go with the mass backing on the carpet. My thought process was that:

1. Would provide some of the benefits for heat/sound

2. Wouldn't be adhered to the floor so I could check under it/easily remove if necessary

3. Would provide a barrier between the jute and the floor pan so moisture would have to evaporate up and not soak down

"Fenders rot in the front back corners and above the rear wheels.

Spray up behind the plastic wheel liners, and consider drilling some big holes in the rear metal fender arch support. "

My fenders are at the paint shop right now - you don't happen to have anything showing what you mean for these, do you?

1. Front back corners

2. Behind plastic wheel liners

3. Drilling hold in rear metal fender arch support

Are all three of those regarding the front fenders?

Thanks.

I have always been hesitant on the undercoating also due to the inability to see behind it so I'll check out the rustoleum product. Edit: just did and is it the same as flex seal aerosol? I used that in my 80's cowl as a quick fix and liked how it flowed out.

I wondered about the real benefit of those duck bills. If they are just for mice (?) then I'd rather take my chance with the mice.

I was going to go with the mass backing on the carpet. My thought process was that:

2. Wouldn't be adhered to the floor so I could check under it/easily remove if necessary

3. Would provide a barrier between the jute and the floor pan so moisture would have to evaporate up and not soak down

Spray up behind the plastic wheel liners, and consider drilling some big holes in the rear metal fender arch support. "

My fenders are at the paint shop right now - you don't happen to have anything showing what you mean for these, do you?

1. Front back corners

Yeah, it's the same as Flexseal.

Comes in black, white, clear, and the elusive silver...

If a rodent wants to get in, it WILL get in.

Anyone who has been through a New England winter will tell you that.

The best defense is to not let your truck sit too long.

No one likes the smell of mouse urine wafting out of their vents, but at least you know it's time to smoke them out.

I have a lot of foil insulation and super sticky mass damping stuff from a studio I built for a drummer in my cab.

More on the passenger side because my ex would complain of the heat under her feet (and 460's create a lot of heat)

Then some white -batting-like mat. At least it's polyester and can't rot or support mold, fungus, etc...

I really meant, 'spray' as in rinse with the hose.

Due to my current lack of more 'normal' accommodations, my truck gets a bath -at best- 2 or 3 times a year.

When I do have a chance I will always wash underneath first.

One and two are in the front.

Three is in the rear, up on top, exactly where you see bed sides rot out all the time.

Ill see if I can get some pics when it gets light out.

Remember, I'm only one person on the internet.

My methods are mine. And I have to live with the results of my choices.

I can tell you what works for me, but what you do is yours to own.

Oh no worries :)

I just like getting as many opinions as possible and then weigh them all out. Mainly to make sure what sounds like a good idea in my head doesn't have some flaw that I have overlooked.

I won't be hunting you down if I do something you recommend and my life all of the sudden plays out like an old country song.

And what's the fun in owning one of these if you don't have to fix/redo/rinse/repeat something on it all the time?

Yeah, it's the same as Flexseal.

Comes in black, white, clear, and the elusive silver...

If a rodent wants to get in, it WILL get in.

Anyone who has been through a New England winter will tell you that.

The best defense is to not let your truck sit too long.

No one likes the smell of mouse urine wafting out of their vents, but at least you know it's time to smoke them out.

I have a lot of foil insulation and super sticky mass damping stuff from a studio I built for a drummer in my cab.

More on the passenger side because my ex would complain of the heat under her feet (and 460's create a lot of heat)

Then some white -batting-like mat. At least it's polyester and can't rot or support mold, fungus, etc...

I really meant, 'spray' as in rinse with the hose.

Due to my current lack of more 'normal' accommodations, my truck gets a bath -at best- 2 or 3 times a year.

When I do have a chance I will always wash underneath first.

One and two are in the front.

Three is in the rear, up on top, exactly where you see bed sides rot out all the time.

Ill see if I can get some pics when it gets light out.

I tell Gary that an oil leak is free waterproofing. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That people up here in the salt belt will spray the underside with bar & chain oil.

He says how nasty an oily undercarriage is.

Better than no undercarriage, I suppose.

Thing is, thick clingy oil (tackiified) will creep into cracks and crevices, and once there prevent water from collecting, or oxygen from reaching the surface.

This (electrolytic) process it what causes iron and the most noble -carbon- from reverting to their natural states: iron oxide and carbon dioxide.

Darren, that guy Mustie1 on YouTube melts toilet rings (beeswax) into bar oil and sprays it into pockets and crevices.

Not really the entire undercarriage.

It's an interesting concept, and it seems to work...

Oh no worries :)

I just like getting as many opinions as possible and then weigh them all out. Mainly to make sure what sounds like a good idea in my head doesn't have some flaw that I have overlooked.

I won't be hunting you down if I do something you recommend and my life all of the sudden plays out like an old country song.

And what's the fun in owning one of these if you don't have to fix/redo/rinse/repeat something on it all the time?

Major rot repair is never any fun. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Thanks.

1. Front back corners

This is just one spot where I cut away the rear inner fender when I put new arches on.

Another one forward, and on the other side I used a big step drill.

(cheap, from horrid fate)

IMG_20190731_062549.jpg.6142ce3175c987d3aca6d7ea9329db2a.jpg