Bullnose Forums

Hmmm, loss of power won't hold speed...

Is it possible that the mechanical timing advance is not working properly?

Seems to pass the Cat tests, appears to be breathing well, what is going in appears to be going out.... I don't know how old the engine is, or if any work done to timing chain/water pump.

Seems to pass the Cat tests, appears to be breathing well, what is going in appears to be going out.... I don't know how old the engine is, or if any work done to timing chain/water pump.

Might be interesting to throw a light on it and see where the marks are in relation to the#1 event.

When my plastic gear wore out it was spitting back through the carb anytime I accelerated.

Might be interesting to throw a light on it and see where the marks are in relation to the#1 event.

When my plastic gear wore out it was spitting back through the carb anytime I accelerated.

Explain? Timing light shows 10 BTDC, firing off #1 plug. is there something else I can do?

Explain? Timing light shows 10 BTDC, firing off #1 plug. is there something else I can do?

If the chain skipped the crank and cam (that drives the distributor) would not be synced.

Your timing would be way retarded.

David had a good idea.

Does the timing advance with rpm's?

Up to about 3k..

How about the vacuum?

What's the timing with it connected?

If the chain skipped the crank and cam (that drives the distributor) would not be synced.

Your timing would be way retarded.

David had a good idea.

Does the timing advance with rpm's?

Up to about 3k..

How about the vacuum?

What's the timing with it connected?

If you do not feel comfortable checking the advance curve vs. engine speed, try setting the initial timing @ 14 or 15 degrees BTDC. It might be harder to start, but once it does, go for a test drive and see if any different than before [10 degrees BTDC].

If you do not feel comfortable checking the advance curve vs. engine speed, try setting the initial timing @ 14 or 15 degrees BTDC. It might be harder to start, but once it does, go for a test drive and see if any different than before [10 degrees BTDC].

So if I pulled the water pump and timing cover right now, IF it is in correct position, (nothing skipped) the small indicator divots in the crank and cam should still be in 6 o clock on the top one and 12 o clock on the bottom one correct? If it skipped they would not line up with a straight rule?

Thanks

Ron

So if I pulled the water pump and timing cover right now, IF it is in correct position, (nothing skipped) the small indicator divots in the crank and cam should still be in 6 o clock on the top one and 12 o clock on the bottom one correct? If it skipped they would not line up with a straight rule?

Thanks

Ron

Why would you even go there? (Where I am right now)

If you want to know how much slop is in your timing chain just get a 15/16 socket and a breaker bar.

Pull off the distributor cap and rock the crank back and forth.

If you move the crank 5* or more before the rotor reverses direction it's SHOT.

Why would you even go there? (Where I am right now)

If you want to know how much slop is in your timing chain just get a 15/16 socket and a breaker bar.

Pull off the distributor cap and rock the crank back and forth.

If you move the crank 5* or more before the rotor reverses direction it's SHOT.

5 Degrees, correct?