Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost brake conversion

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks 😁

Great news, I managed to score a hydroboost from a '98 mustang from a friend.

It will need a new mounting plate fabricating to match the vac booster mounting holes. It will also need the actuating rod shortening to match my master cylinder. Will need to get new hoses and modify the brake pedal pin etc. But good score I think👍

20190807_184003.jpg.5c6be579842c75a6b528e4d57d92f86d.jpg

Great news, I managed to score a hydroboost from a '98 mustang from a friend.

It will need a new mounting plate fabricating to match the vac booster mounting holes. It will also need the actuating rod shortening to match my master cylinder. Will need to get new hoses and modify the brake pedal pin etc. But good score I think👍

Yes, good score! Didn't know the Mustangs had hydroboost.

Do you need to know any dimensions?

Yes, good score! Didn't know the Mustangs had hydroboost.

Do you need to know any dimensions?

Not at the moment Gary, thanks though.

I had a spare mc and checked its fitment, it fitted straight on! I need to flip the mounting plate 90 degrees and almost certain I'll need to redrill it or drill holes to suit in the firewall.

Not at the moment Gary, thanks though.

I had a spare mc and checked its fitment, it fitted straight on! I need to flip the mounting plate 90 degrees and almost certain I'll need to redrill it or drill holes to suit in the firewall.

Let me know if you need measurements. I have the hydroboost unit to hand.

Let me know if you need measurements. I have the hydroboost unit to hand.

Could you measure the mounting plate bolt pattern? I think on my bullnose the bolt pattern is equal but on this mustang one, there is one bolt offset.

I will measure the mounting plate I have and post them here for reference. Hopefully I can just redrill this plate and reuse it rather than have to fabricate a whole new plate.

Also, when removing the mounting nut, I managed to break it😕 so if anyone knows this thread size so I can get a new nut I would very much appreciate it. I had a quick look and it appears to be M41 x 1.6 pitch which is a weird size to me🤔

Many thanks,

Alan

Could you measure the mounting plate bolt pattern? I think on my bullnose the bolt pattern is equal but on this mustang one, there is one bolt offset.

I will measure the mounting plate I have and post them here for reference. Hopefully I can just redrill this plate and reuse it rather than have to fabricate a whole new plate.

Also, when removing the mounting nut, I managed to break it😕 so if anyone knows this thread size so I can get a new nut I would very much appreciate it. I had a quick look and it appears to be M41 x 1.6 pitch which is a weird size to me🤔

Many thanks,

Alan

Ok, the list of pre-work things is growing - after finishing this cuppa and having another.

I think it is:

1. Check out the '84 dealer book for grille options

2. Measure the bolt pattern on the hydroboost

3. Take a nut off Big Blue's master and booster and check sizing. But, was it master/booster or booster/firewall?

Ok, the list of pre-work things is growing - after finishing this cuppa and having another.

I think it is:

1. Check out the '84 dealer book for grille options

2. Measure the bolt pattern on the hydroboost

3. Take a nut off Big Blue's master and booster and check sizing. But, was it master/booster or booster/firewall?

Let's see if this answers the question. Both the studs for the master cylinder/hydroboost interface and the firewall/hydroboost interface are 3/8-16.

The measurements are "raw", meaning that they may 2.400" and 3.200", but they are what I got by measuring outside/outside of the studs with my dial calipers and subtracting the measured diameter of a stud.

Hydroboost_to_Firewall_Bolt_Pattern.thumb.jpg.42304bac7d7fdb8b6ff31ce1e4579749.jpg

Let's see if this answers the question. Both the studs for the master cylinder/hydroboost interface and the firewall/hydroboost interface are 3/8-16.

The measurements are "raw", meaning that they may 2.400" and 3.200", but they are what I got by measuring outside/outside of the studs with my dial calipers and subtracting the measured diameter of a stud.

This is the thread size I need to source a new nut. I measure it to M41 x 1.6 pitch but I'm assuming its metric.

20190808_180314.jpg.5c290fe80775a2113b6c072d57d3314d.jpg