Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost brake conversion

The AC Delco unit in his link has a $20 core charge which could presumable be paid out to obtain one...

Wow, that's cheap core!

I might have to look into it for Lil' Red.

I passed the 450 parts on to Gary because he seemed on a mission to do hydroboost, and I have no time to keep her down.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's cheap core!

I might have to look into it for Lil' Red.

I passed the 450 parts on to Gary because he seemed on a mission to do hydroboost, and I have no time to keep her down.

I only see ONE hydroboost unit on the linked page, and it's $231.95 for sending your existing unit in and waiting for it to return. ????? :nabble_anim_confused:

The AC Delco unit in his link has a $20 core charge which could presumable be paid out to obtain one...

At least the picture shows it to be complete.

14PB4343_Primary__ra_p.jpg.4d18bafb5a31941ae63dbaede8190ce1.jpg

The master parts catalog says that a 1987 and later F350 w/a diesel takes booster E8TZ 2005-A, which should be the hydroboost. And I found that part number new at Ford Parts Giant for $171.76. But I'm not 100% sure that's the

Also, the MPC says that vehicle takes master cylinder E7TZ 2140-F or E7TZ 2004-B, and I don't see those used on anything prior to 1987, and then only on F250's w/a GVWR of 7000 lbs, or F350's and above.

So, while "HD" might be above 8500 lbs, for brakes Ford had a different limit as of 1987.

At least the picture shows it to be complete.

The master parts catalog says that a 1987 and later F350 w/a diesel takes booster E8TZ 2005-A, which should be the hydroboost. And I found that part number new at Ford Parts Giant for $171.76. But I'm not 100% sure that's the

Also, the MPC says that vehicle takes master cylinder E7TZ 2140-F or E7TZ 2004-B, and I don't see those used on anything prior to 1987, and then only on F250's w/a GVWR of 7000 lbs, or F350's and above.

So, while "HD" might be above 8500 lbs, for brakes Ford had a different limit as of 1987.

I guess the link to RA opened to vacuum boosters for me?

The MPC says that vehicle takes master cylinder E7TZ 2140-F or E7TZ 2004-B, and I don't see those used on anything prior to 1987, and then only on F250's w/a GVWR of 7000 lbs, or F350's and above.

Ford does not determine what is a 'heavy duty vehicle', the EPA does.

If you read the underhood calibration sticker, where it says "this heavy duty vehicle is allowed to be non-compliant under federal statute xyz...."

Or something like that.

You would understand what is being questioned here.

And it has NOTHING to do with brakes.

I guess the link to RA opened to vacuum boosters for me?

The MPC says that vehicle takes master cylinder E7TZ 2140-F or E7TZ 2004-B, and I don't see those used on anything prior to 1987, and then only on F250's w/a GVWR of 7000 lbs, or F350's and above.

Ford does not determine what is a 'heavy duty vehicle', the EPA does.

If you read the underhood calibration sticker, where it says "this heavy duty vehicle is allowed to be non-compliant under federal statute xyz...."

Or something like that.

You would understand what is being questioned here.

And it has NOTHING to do with brakes.

I think there are several uses of the term "heavy duty". One is the DOT use of the term which determines what requirements a vehicle has to adhere to. But there's the colloquial use, and in this case I'm referring to the larger or smaller brakes and/or boosters. Perhaps I should say "big brakes" and "small brakes"?

And up until 1986 Ford appears to have made the delineation between vehicles with "small brakes" and those with "large brakes" at 8500 #'s. But as of 1987 the break (for brakes :nabble_smiley_wink:) was 7000 #'s.

master-cylinder-application-2.thumb.jpg.029d3e9b3e5a6f9c66d2f947c0b299f0.jpg

I think there are several uses of the term "heavy duty". One is the DOT use of the term which determines what requirements a vehicle has to adhere to. But there's the colloquial use, and in this case I'm referring to the larger or smaller brakes and/or boosters. Perhaps I should say "big brakes" and "small brakes"?

And up until 1986 Ford appears to have made the delineation between vehicles with "small brakes" and those with "large brakes" at 8500 #'s. But as of 1987 the break (for brakes :nabble_smiley_wink:) was 7000 #'s.

Where on that Ford page does it say "heavy duty brakes"?

With the advent of the Bricknose era, Ford decided that four piston calipers belonged on anything over 7k gvw.

It seems (to me) more of a CYA move than anything else.

Where on that Ford page does it say "heavy duty brakes"?

With the advent of the Bricknose era, Ford decided that four piston calipers belonged on anything over 7k gvw.

It seems (to me) more of a CYA move than anything else.

It doesn't say "heavy duty". That's just the term I've been using. It seems easier than "big brakes" and "small brakes". Or "under 8500# brakes". :nabble_smiley_wink:

It doesn't say "heavy duty". That's just the term I've been using. It seems easier than "big brakes" and "small brakes". Or "under 8500# brakes". :nabble_smiley_wink:

Just my pedantry getting the better of me.

When you say "Heavy Duty" wrt pickup trucks, it means a very specific thing to me (and many others)

I'm not asking you to -not- use the term, but please qualify your context.

Because 7k gvw is not "Heavy Duty" by anyone else's standard.

Gary, I see that Ford did change the F350 vacuum booster after 1986. I will have to measure the studs, but I’m betting the cast iron master on Jan’s truck did match up to the hydroboost unit. Maybe you could measure the one on Big Blue since it is likely the same booster?

I could be all wet... but I thought “HD” was Ford’s distinction for the heavy 3/4 ton with the full float rear axle and dual piston front brakes (vs. the semi float axle trucks that were usually 6800 GVWR). I think it was even part of the badging on 9th generation F250’s at some point...

78F4A33B-5FAB-47EF-B163-FDDD4C7E3115.thumb.jpeg.385229a972ce95da194c8e554ba92060.jpeg

I know RockAuto isn’t the ultimate information source, but I was surprised to see the hydroboost in Blacktop’s link under 1990 F350. I have always pulled it up under 1988-1997 “F-Superduty” (F450).