Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost brake conversion

Let's see if this answers the question. Both the studs for the master cylinder/hydroboost interface and the firewall/hydroboost interface are 3/8-16.

The measurements are "raw", meaning that they may 2.400" and 3.200", but they are what I got by measuring outside/outside of the studs with my dial calipers and subtracting the measured diameter of a stud.

Apologies for the really bad image, doing this on my phone as I'm not near my pc.

This is the '98 mustang mounting plate. It is not flat and angles the booster down toward the pedal which may help it to align with the pedal pin. I may remove the bolts and weld up the holes before redrilling to the pcd to match my removed vac booster.

20190808_190208.jpg.b37237591d2b19eb10ee799ebe169a85.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for the really bad image, doing this on my phone as I'm not near my pc.

This is the '98 mustang mounting plate. It is not flat and angles the booster down toward the pedal which may help it to align with the pedal pin. I may remove the bolts and weld up the holes before redrilling to the pcd to match my removed vac booster.

You can see from the side how it angles the booster down...

20190808_180347.jpg.a00a7f5699532e1d246c883e18d7754a.jpg

Sorry, the site keeps flipping some pics 90 degrees.

You can see from the side how it angles the booster down...

Sorry, the site keeps flipping some pics 90 degrees.

I see what you mean. The plate on my unit is flat, with no angle. Should be easy enough to make out of plate.

But, I don't see a good way of getting the nut off on mine. I took off the snap ring, but don't have a socket big enough for that nut. And my adjustable wrench can't get around the studs.

I'm assuming you tried a thread pitch gauge to discover the thread pitch. My metric one doesn't do anything but 1/2 mm steps, so wouldn't do 1.6 mm. However, everything on my unit that I've measured is SAE, so might that nut be? 1.6mm is really close to 16 turns/inch, which is a favourite for our nuts.

I see what you mean. The plate on my unit is flat, with no angle. Should be easy enough to make out of plate.

But, I don't see a good way of getting the nut off on mine. I took off the snap ring, but don't have a socket big enough for that nut. And my adjustable wrench can't get around the studs.

I'm assuming you tried a thread pitch gauge to discover the thread pitch. My metric one doesn't do anything but 1/2 mm steps, so wouldn't do 1.6 mm. However, everything on my unit that I've measured is SAE, so might that nut be? 1.6mm is really close to 16 turns/inch, which is a favourite for our nuts.

Possibly Dorman AutoGrade 1.625-16 Inch Thread Spindle Nut?

Part # 615-128 Line: DOR at O'Reillys.

Thinking I will remove the bolts from the mustang mounting plate, weld on a flat plate that has the bolt pattern of my existing booster and then bolt it straight on.

Seems the simplest solution.

Ok, I'm as thick as two planks, but humour me. You have the Mustang's plate off, right? Why wouldn't you just make a new plate?

Or, maybe I'm thinking how I'd do it given the machines I have. So, if you don't have the machinery to do that, perhaps that's why?