Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost brake conversion

Gary, I see that Ford did change the F350 vacuum booster after 1986. I will have to measure the studs, but I’m betting the cast iron master on Jan’s truck did match up to the hydroboost unit. Maybe you could measure the one on Big Blue since it is likely the same booster?

I could be all wet... but I thought “HD” was Ford’s distinction for the heavy 3/4 ton with the full float rear axle and dual piston front brakes (vs. the semi float axle trucks that were usually 6800 GVWR). I think it was even part of the badging on 9th generation F250’s at some point...

I know RockAuto isn’t the ultimate information source, but I was surprised to see the hydroboost in Blacktop’s link under 1990 F350. I have always pulled it up under 1988-1997 “F-Superduty” (F450).

I'm not surprised them see it listed for F-350.

Certainly any F-350 diesel C&C, incomplete utility or ambulance chassis would have hydroboost.

Wrt HD, yes Ford's generally accepted nomenclature is defined by having a full floating rear.

The D60, and the Sterling 10.25" we're not available under 8,500# configuration during the '80-'86 (bullnose) era.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I see that Ford did change the F350 vacuum booster after 1986. I will have to measure the studs, but I’m betting the cast iron master on Jan’s truck did match up to the hydroboost unit. Maybe you could measure the one on Big Blue since it is likely the same booster?

I could be all wet... but I thought “HD” was Ford’s distinction for the heavy 3/4 ton with the full float rear axle and dual piston front brakes (vs. the semi float axle trucks that were usually 6800 GVWR). I think it was even part of the badging on 9th generation F250’s at some point...

I know RockAuto isn’t the ultimate information source, but I was surprised to see the hydroboost in Blacktop’s link under 1990 F350. I have always pulled it up under 1988-1997 “F-Superduty” (F450).

Well, the plot thickens.

The F450 master fits on Big Blue's vacuum booster while the master from Huck, the 1990 F250 w/an 8600# GVWR, doesn't. In fact, the master cylinder from Huck bolts up to the vacuum booster off Dad's truck. :nabble_smiley_uh:

So, it looks to me that up through 1986, inclusive, the master cylinders for trucks up to 8500#'s had the narrow bolt spacing and trucks above that had the wide spacing. But some time, probably in '87, the break point changed such that even up to and including F350's had the narrow spacing. I say the latter because a 1987 through at least '89 F250 over 7000 GVW takes the same booster as all '87 through '89 F350's: E8TZ 2005-A or E8TZ 2005-D. You can see that here: Driveline/Brakes.

F450_Master_On_Big_Blue.thumb.jpg.c97c8531461b09fdf5b2ba80e14d33b7.jpg

Certainly any F-350 diesel C&C, incomplete utility or ambulance chassis would have hydroboost.

I recently changed the one in our 95 C&C diesel (turbo) and it wasn't hydroboost but I just looked on the O'Reilly website and it does show the hydroboost unit as being applicable also. I will have to check the 94 C&C with the powerstroke to see what it has.

I recently changed the one in our 95 C&C diesel (turbo) and it wasn't hydroboost but I just looked on the O'Reilly website and it does show the hydroboost unit as being applicable also. I will have to check the 94 C&C with the powerstroke to see what it has.

I'm startled that they were still using a vacuum pump in '95.

I guess old ways die hard

Furthermore, RockAuto lists both vacuum and hydroboost components for F-Superduty, so did some of the F450 have vacuum brakes? 🤷‍♂️ All that I have come across were hydroboost.

At least the picture shows it to be complete.

The master parts catalog says that a 1987 and later F350 w/a diesel takes booster E8TZ 2005-A, which should be the hydroboost. And I found that part number new at Ford Parts Giant for $171.76. But I'm not 100% sure that's the

Also, the MPC says that vehicle takes master cylinder E7TZ 2140-F or E7TZ 2004-B, and I don't see those used on anything prior to 1987, and then only on F250's w/a GVWR of 7000 lbs, or F350's and above.

So, while "HD" might be above 8500 lbs, for brakes Ford had a different limit as of 1987.

No Gary, the booster doesnt come with the mc actuating rod.

Screenshot_20190730-091758.jpg.108aaaa2f9f91209dfd0ad9341788498.jpg

No Gary, the booster doesnt come with the mc actuating rod.

I would call and ask. I don’t see anything in the description that says the rod is not included, yet it does mention that the mounting hardware does not come with it. Seems odd that they would not make mention of the actuating rod. Also, the photos from the PRIOR brand (out of stock) and Cardone (rebuilds your unit) appear to be the same images. These may be RockAuto stock photos, not representative of the supplier brand unit.

I would call and ask. I don’t see anything in the description that says the rod is not included, yet it does mention that the mounting hardware does not come with it. Seems odd that they would not make mention of the actuating rod. Also, the photos from the PRIOR brand (out of stock) and Cardone (rebuilds your unit) appear to be the same images. These may be RockAuto stock photos, not representative of the supplier brand unit.

I might just have to buy one and take the chance that the rod will come with it. If it doesnt, hopefully someone on here would be kind enough to measure one for me so I could make my own?

Alan

I might just have to buy one and take the chance that the rod will come with it. If it doesnt, hopefully someone on here would be kind enough to measure one for me so I could make my own?

Alan

Alan - Assuming you do it in the next several months, meaning before I get mine installed, I'll be happy to measure the rod for you. But I might have to draw it up in CAD for posterity. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Alan - Assuming you do it in the next several months, meaning before I get mine installed, I'll be happy to measure the rod for you. But I might have to draw it up in CAD for posterity. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Make it an STL file and share with the world on thingiverse....