Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost brake conversion

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan has!

I'm pretty sure Steve83 will weigh in too

And I provided Gary with all the parts from a F-450 so he can do Big Blue.

***Superduty parts are direct bolt in

I've never used a kit, just factory parts.

You need the hydraulic booster, pressure lines and a steering pump capable of the volume and having a second return line.

The steering box is no different.

You can get these items from a big Lincoln/Mercury of similar vintage to these trucks.

Others have adapted the system found in the late model Mustangs.

These guys miss the point entirely that it is the increased lever arm from contact patch to friction surface that causes poor braking with huge tires.

If they can't get the physics right in the first paragraph, I'm not going to bother reading further.

Jonathan has!

I'm pretty sure Steve83 will weigh in too

And I provided Gary with all the parts from a F-450 so he can do Big Blue.

***Superduty parts are direct bolt in

I've never used a kit, just factory parts.

You need the hydraulic booster, pressure lines and a steering pump capable of the volume and having a second return line.

The steering box is no different.

You can get these items from a big Lincoln/Mercury of similar vintage to these trucks.

Others have adapted the system found in the late model Mustangs.

Has anyone drawn up a definative list of the required parts with details of exact model year donor vehicles?

Would be great to source the exact parts required from rock auto.

Thanks for the replies👍

Has anyone drawn up a definative list of the required parts with details of exact model year donor vehicles?

Would be great to source the exact parts required from rock auto.

Thanks for the replies👍

I don't think there could be a *definitive* list.

Too many sources for parts that *will* work.

I bet there's a bunch of write-ups at FSB though.

ETA: Sho'nuff. https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/174856-brake-hydroboost-upgrade-walk-throught.html#/topics/174856

I don't think there could be a *definitive* list.

Too many sources for parts that *will* work.

I bet there's a bunch of write-ups at FSB though.

ETA: Sho'nuff. https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/174856-brake-hydroboost-upgrade-walk-throught.html#/topics/174856

Thanks for the link👍

I've got lots of info to read up on there! Should keep me busy for a while😁

Thanks again.

Don't forget the brake pedal. The peg on the pedal where the linkage goes is in a different place for the hydroboost pedal than for the vacuum one. If I remember correctly the hydroboost link has a different dogleg than that of the vacuum unit. And it changes the pedal pressure.

Don't forget the brake pedal. The peg on the pedal where the linkage goes is in a different place for the hydroboost pedal than for the vacuum one. If I remember correctly the hydroboost link has a different dogleg than that of the vacuum unit. And it changes the pedal pressure.

Gary,

If you read most write-ups you don't NEED the pedal, but it will be very sensitive, and the plunger needs to be shortened.

Others drill another pivot in a regular pedal.

I DO remember telling you that you 'needed' it, but that's because it's the right way, and I had it right there.

The ('96 450's) pedal support wouldn't have fit in your bullnose truck.

Gary,

If you read most write-ups you don't NEED the pedal, but it will be very sensitive, and the plunger needs to be shortened.

Others drill another pivot in a regular pedal.

I DO remember telling you that you 'needed' it, but that's because it's the right way, and I had it right there.

The ('96 450's) pedal support wouldn't have fit in your bullnose truck.

Oh. Ok. I didn't read the writeups. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But if you are at a salvage getting the parts, then get the pedal as well so it'll be a bolt-in. (Or, if you have a good friend pulling the parts, have him get it. :nabble_smiley_wink:) And the later pedal will work in a Bullnose bracket. I've tried.