Bullnose Forums

rear axle vent/brake line mount 8.8 axle

Gsmblue

so I am trying to get the back brake lines rebuilt. I have the new slaves and stainless steel lines in ok.

Now the fun part.

The old rear hose was not mounted on the axle vent, it was dangling above it.

The new hose I have has the hole to go over the axle vent.

The axle vent is of the type that does not have the the extra length between the threading and the nut part to allow it to secure the break hose into place.

I am really trying to understand how this is all supposed to go together. I am clearly missing something..

Any guidance would be appreciated..

Can I just replace the existing vent for this:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-74933-924-263.aspx

Anyone see any problems doing this?

Well sure you can use that. You just run the hose up and out of the way. A typical Ford rear have a vent like that and the threaded portion holds the brake hose junction. But the vent is separate, t just holds down the junction block.

This shows how it is supposed to go: Driveline/Rear Axles/Rear Axle Vents.

That is what I expected to see but my vent is not like that :( This is what I see with the vent hose off

IMG_9834.jpg.f6f6bd6d1d58bdffe8d70323e8dc6d52.jpg

This is how it looked with the vent hose on.

IMG_9832.jpg.991f55001c8d99e92118f6660c691278.jpg

Something is odd here. Maybe the previous owner just did not have the right vent to hand at some point in time, or was the brake line supposed to be secured somewhere else?

Well sure you can use that. You just run the hose up and out of the way. A typical Ford rear have a vent like that and the threaded portion holds the brake hose junction. But the vent is separate, t just holds down the junction block.

Thanks Pete - I will order up the alternative vent and see how it goes...

A quick brake job is not as quick as I hoped!

Thanks for all the help.

Well, I have ordered the part... to be continues on Thursday 😀

Everyday is a learning experience with this truck 😂

Got the slaves, the rear brake lines, rear brake hose (too bloody long as it is for a 3 inch lift) all in at last...

D9DF7167-7D41-47A2-969C-1BBB5BE94F10.jpeg.eb7ca3fb3026b7909aa8f2e5e1d3458c.jpeg

2C77DE49-5D2D-4E4E-B604-9FA17F1C6D02.jpeg.ebe47bd269041b23d974c246a3b29442.jpeg

Went to do the front hoses, and surprise... they are also too long! So I have ordered the right ones from LMC..

If anyone wants some hardly used stainless hoses you are welcome to all of them for the cost of postage, let me know...

Got the slaves, the rear brake lines, rear brake hose (too bloody long as it is for a 3 inch lift) all in at last...

Went to do the front hoses, and surprise... they are also too long! So I have ordered the right ones from LMC..

If anyone wants some hardly used stainless hoses you are welcome to all of them for the cost of postage, let me know...

Well, I'm actually looking at doing an RSK on Lil' Red.

That would be a 2" lift.

How long are your brake hoses?