Bullnose Forums

Observed Problems

Are you trying to access the forum directly on Nabble or on Garysgaragemahal?

I can access Garysgaragemahal all day without problem. I can view all of the website content. It's only when I click on the bulletin board link that I get blocked.

Karl

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trying to access the forum directly on Nabble or on Garysgaragemahal?
I can access Garysgaragemahal all day without problem. I can view all of the website content. It's only when I click on the bulletin board link that I get blocked. Karl
Bummer!  

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM, kr98664 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Done.

:)

Another thing I'm looking for, Gary....

I am not sure which "View" I am using at any given time, I'm not sure this Nabble thing remembers those settings all the time.

Regardless, what I'm looking for is something to click on that will let me "view first unread post in thread."

Lots of other forums have that and we might have it here and I just don't know how to access it. But I post in these (long) threads and I can later see that others have also posted there (links become clickable again, email messages, whatever), I can see how to get to the start of said thread and I can get directly to the most recent post in it, but I can't find where it will take me to where I left off in that thread and need to resume reading.

If that makes sense. ;)

Done.

:)

Another thing I'm looking for, Gary....

I am not sure which "View" I am using at any given time, I'm not sure this Nabble thing remembers those settings all the time.

Regardless, what I'm looking for is something to click on that will let me "view first unread post in thread."

Lots of other forums have that and we might have it here and I just don't know how to access it. But I post in these (long) threads and I can later see that others have also posted there (links become clickable again, email messages, whatever), I can see how to get to the start of said thread and I can get directly to the most recent post in it, but I can't find where it will take me to where I left off in that thread and need to resume reading.

If that makes sense. ;)

Use the Topics View at the top level and that will show you the most recent posts for each thread, chronologically. Click on the time link for a post and it takes you right to the post. That's the best way to monitor what is going on in the forum - unless you do as I do and subscribe to everything. If you do that, clicking on the emailed link takes you to the latest post.

But otherwise there doesn't seem to be a way to get directly to the last post. And that is a shortcoming.

Use the Topics View at the top level and that will show you the most recent posts for each thread, chronologically. Click on the time link for a post and it takes you right to the post. That's the best way to monitor what is going on in the forum - unless you do as I do and subscribe to everything. If you do that, clicking on the emailed link takes you to the latest post.

But otherwise there doesn't seem to be a way to get directly to the last post. And that is a shortcoming.

OK, thank you.

What we have will work until the traffic gets to be too overwhelming and the site gets busier. But I guess we'll just see how it goes and what people complain about...

Nabble is blocked on my computer network at work.

Yes, your employer has that right, these kinds of sites tend to house virii & malware and keeping people away from this kind of stuff better protects the internal corporate network, you guys should see what happens when the Windows-based internal networks become infected, it can take days to recover from that all while keeping the execs happy and able to do their jobs.

Nobody WANTS to block users, but sometimes it makes sense to do just that.

Especially when said users are robots from foreign countries poking around looking for known security vulnerabilities and ways to infect a site.

OK, thank you.

What we have will work until the traffic gets to be too overwhelming and the site gets busier. But I guess we'll just see how it goes and what people complain about...

I'm not too worried about the traffic getting overwhelming. But it is growing, and it is somewhat synergistic. Google is finding the documentation when people search, and through Google Analytics I'm tweaking things so people understand from the search results what is on the page, so they click it. And that causes Google to move it up in the search results, so more people see it, so.....

And many more sites are linking to it, with FTE topping the list, but FullSize Bronco, Broncozone, and Fordification have many links that are being followed as well.

Plus, with the advent of the Bullnose Forum there are the registered users as well as those lurking visiting the site.

Here are the latest stat's on the whole of the web site, not just the forum. I drew the red arrow to show the growth, but it is significant growth. Not necessarily significant traffic, but significant growth.

Usage_as_of_8-29-17.jpg.a5c8cca05787b67a1e521ac3580110c0.jpg

Update: Duh! :nabble_smiley_blush: There is an easy way to go to the last post in a thread. In the screenshot below you can see that the thread Swap Meet Items has 8 posts, and the last one was by me at 2:39pm. If you click on the 2:39pm link it will take you to the last post.

IMG_0432.png.707fb56d73d0c49d5ebd50fa6b7eb39c.png

Update: Duh! :nabble_smiley_blush: There is an easy way to go to the last post in a thread. In the screenshot below you can see that the thread Swap Meet Items has 8 posts, and the last one was by me at 2:39pm. If you click on the 2:39pm link it will take you to the last post.

Gary, several times I have been logged in, gone to make a post, and when I click "Post Message" it takes me back to the login screen. Once I re login it brings me right back to my post so I can post it.