Bullnose Forums

Front Bumper Adjustment

My front bumper is off just enough to bug me. Most people don't notice, but I do, and I want to get it perfect. One side is pushed in (or pulled out) just a little more than the other side.

I can see that the front bumper is bolted to the frame horns with four threaded bolts. What is the best way to go about *slightly* adjusting the fore and aft position of the bumper? Is this something I can do by myself?

Washers?

Yes, that was going to be my suggestion as well. And I think you can easily do it yourself by:

• Loosening all the nuts on the side that needs to be shimmed, but not on the other side as that may cause your bumper to tilt.

• Removing one nut & bolt entirely

• Pulling the bumper forward enough to slip one or more washers between it and the frame. I think I'd do the bolt that is horizontal first as the amount of washers needed will be more obvious with it.

• Put that bolt through and put the nut on

• Repeat for the other bolt(s)

Washers?

Yes, that was going to be my suggestion as well. And I think you can easily do it yourself by:

• Loosening all the nuts on the side that needs to be shimmed, but not on the other side as that may cause your bumper to tilt.

• Removing one nut & bolt entirely

• Pulling the bumper forward enough to slip one or more washers between it and the frame. I think I'd do the bolt that is horizontal first as the amount of washers needed will be more obvious with it.

• Put that bolt through and put the nut on

• Repeat for the other bolt(s)

I will try that.

Thanks!

What is the best way to go about *slightly* adjusting the fore and aft position of the bumper?
A landscape timber, or other long beam... This shows how I straightened the bumpers on my dually:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/886389/thumbnail/rear1.jpg

You might be able to simply use it as a long prybar (between the bumper & tire) to bend the bumper forward.

Is this something I can do by myself?
IDK - is that something you can do by yourself? :nabble_anim_confused:

What is the best way to go about *slightly* adjusting the fore and aft position of the bumper?
A landscape timber, or other long beam... This shows how I straightened the bumpers on my dually:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/886389/thumbnail/rear1.jpg

You might be able to simply use it as a long prybar (between the bumper & tire) to bend the bumper forward.

Is this something I can do by myself?
IDK - is that something you can do by yourself? :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks, Steve. But the bumper itself is not bent.

When I asked if it is something I can do "myself," I meant can ONE MAN with ONE SET OF HANDS do this. The bumper is pretty heavy and awkward.

When I asked if it is something I can do "myself," I meant can ONE MAN with ONE SET OF HANDS do this. The bumper is pretty heavy and awkward.

I know. But only you can answer what YOU can do. I do virtually all my own work, including cutting vehicles apart & loading them by hand onto trailers. So yes; it CAN be done by one person. So can playing a piano, but I can't do that.

The stock front bumper is probably >40 lbs, and only 74" wide. Is that something you can handle? If not: do you have a ratchet strap, floor jack, engine hoist, or some cardboard boxes to put under it?

It can be done by yourself as I have put it on and off many times when customizing both the front & rear.

20190512_133705.jpg.44505f089d3a5eee7154540789c4a722.jpg

Now if you loosen 1 side, I think you will need to loosen both sides, and pull it out to stick the washer(s) between bumper & frame the other side will move in and could hit the body and scratch & dent it so be careful.

Dave ----

ps: the bumper was just placed on the truck along with the grille & head light doors.