Bullnose Forum

1980 AC - Back to Life

What steps are reasonable to take on a complete, pressurized AC system of unknown status and history before commissioning?

System complete, under unknown amount of positive pressure.

No belt on compressor.

Clutch snaps in when applied voltage. I spun the clutch by hand and then applied voltage and it drug to a stop.

Center bolt in compressor clutch turns easy.

Compressor looks to be a remanned York with potentially a 2002 build date. No sight glass for oil level I can find.

PO ran the clutch wire directly into the cab thru a switch, presumably to bypass the pressure switch. I found that the HVAC head had a broken vacuum switch, which was prohibiting 12v from reaching the clutch. So part of me thinks the system may have been functioning but the PO may not have known how to evaluate and solve the issue.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't really think there is much you can do other than powering it up to see what happens. But if the pressure switch is closed then I'd go for it. Put a belt on and see what happens. You already know the compressor isn't frozen up, so it should work.

I don't really think there is much you can do other than powering it up to see what happens. But if the pressure switch is closed then I'd go for it. Put a belt on and see what happens. You already know the compressor isn't frozen up, so it should work.

Thanks Gary.

Right now the switch is open. I know some refrigeration guys at work so I may be able to borrow some gauges to determine pressure. I should probably do that to determine what refrigerant is in the system and what switch I should buy. I don’t know that the switch is failed, but the fact the PO elected to bypass the switch and hardwire the clutch to a manually switched power source perhaps indicates it is.

Thanks again. Even just writing it out and reading your response helps me get thoughts in order.

Thanks Gary.

Right now the switch is open. I know some refrigeration guys at work so I may be able to borrow some gauges to determine pressure. I should probably do that to determine what refrigerant is in the system and what switch I should buy. I don’t know that the switch is failed, but the fact the PO elected to bypass the switch and hardwire the clutch to a manually switched power source perhaps indicates it is.

Thanks again. Even just writing it out and reading your response helps me get thoughts in order.

Your refrigeration friends can probably look at the fittings and determine if the system has been changed from R12. Maybe just adding a can will close the switch?

🤥

Edit: That is supposed to be Pinocchio with a long nose. I posted it from my iPhone which has that emoticon. But, it doesn't translate to this forum.

Even R-134A is out of date.

They ought to just set them up to run propane. (R-290)

It's dirt cheap and everywhere.

🤥

Edit: That is supposed to be Pinocchio with a long nose. I posted it from my iPhone which has that emoticon. But, it doesn't translate to this forum.

Seeing your edit.

Does that mean you weren't serious in the first place, or that I'm fibbing?