Bullnose Forums

So let's talk about dealer A/C for a moment

Matched pairs are important for applications like this. I'd swap belts long before I tear into a clutch or compressor.

When I go back to NAPA to return my starter core, I'll ask that nice counter girl if she's got a matched pair. What's the worst that can happen? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

You could get slapped?

For asking for belts? Wait...what are you thinking of?

(OK, I'll stop now.)

Matched pairs are important for applications like this. I'd swap belts long before I tear into a clutch or compressor.

When I go back to NAPA to return my starter core, I'll ask that nice counter girl if she's got a matched pair. What's the worst that can happen? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

You could get slapped?

For asking for belts? Wait...what are you thinking of?

(OK, I'll stop now.)

Well, that was an easy problem to solve.

My A/C compressor on July 9:

IMG_0335.jpg.429f75e3ef04597e973726cb6ca3d964.jpg

And on July 19:

IMG_0381.jpg.7f840e647f471f96f904306ad87c5a16.jpg

I am absolutely baffled as to why and how that belt disappeared. I distinctly recall checking all my belts when I was installing the new belt for the air pump, and it was (superficially at least) in excellent condition at that time. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

That’s a best case scenario. Working at a parts store she probably has to deal with guys being jerks all the time - I wouldn’t be surprised if she kept a tire iron under the counter...

You need to ask her if she'll step outside and whack your starter.***with that tire iron***

Well, that was an easy problem to solve.

My A/C compressor on July 9:

And on July 19:

I am absolutely baffled as to why and how that belt disappeared. I distinctly recall checking all my belts when I was installing the new belt for the air pump, and it was (superficially at least) in excellent condition at that time. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

Funny how they stayed on for years but as soon as you 'fixed' that bracket.... foof! they're gone.

Belts can be purchased in factory matched pairs, for applications as this. I guess the tolerances are more closely matched. If one purchases the same part number in separate packages, one may be slightly longer.

We've requested matched V-belt sets for industrial applications before. It does matter. They're cut like slices of bread from a loaf, and every loaf is going to be a little bit different.:nabble_smiley_grin:

I don't believe I've ever had a vehicle with a double v-belt set up. Of all the vehicles I had that were old enough to have V-belts, they only ever had an alternator and a power steering pump that were belt driven.