Bullnose Forums

Heat Shield For Starter?

My 1980 with the stock starter on the 400 had that problem intermittently (starter solenoid would get stuck until I pulled the power or hit the solenoid hard enough) so just last week I swapped the junky one out with a motorcraft unit (possibly just a little less junky :nabble_smiley_beam: ).

I think we are on the same page that swapping to a pmgr setup is an improvement. My whole point was just that whether you swap to a Precision pmgr, Powermaster, or stay with stock the roadside issue wouldn't be significant.

And I agree! :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This site (I won't list a link as I don't exactly know what the site is for) listed:

Innocent, willful, arrogant, domain, and enlightened.

I think I prefer your four though :)

:nabble_anim_confused:

I was waiting to get bit with "you're so ignorant, you don't even know ignorant!"

The big problem with the original starter is it's extremely high current draw...
It's only ~50A (~25%) higher than PMGR, assuming both starters, the engines, & the cranking systems (including battery terminals) are working right. I'm still using the old-style starter on my Bronco, and it works fine.
The original Ford relays on the fender were designed to handle the current draw without much problem, where the problem today lies is that most sources are now getting the relays made in China. The copper alloy the Chinese ones use is apparently very soft...
Designed, but not very well; the originals were still susceptible to the same failure.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/870435/thumbnail/relayside.jpg

Modern Copper (even from china) is superior. It's the old relay's DESIGN that causes those failures. The newer relay's design is superior.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/829914/thumbnail/starterelaylate.jpg

A standard Bosch relay can handle the PMGR solenoid with no problem, that is what most later Fords that were factory built with a PMGR starter use underhood for the starter.
The '92-96 system (first Fs with PMGR) used the new ignition switch to directly-power the starter relay, which only triggered the PMGR solenoid, as that diagram I posted before shows. This shows more of the circuit:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/285644/thumbnail/starterexploded.jpg

The big problem with the original starter is it's extremely high current draw...
It's only ~50A (~25%) higher than PMGR, assuming both starters, the engines, & the cranking systems (including battery terminals) are working right. I'm still using the old-style starter on my Bronco, and it works fine.
The original Ford relays on the fender were designed to handle the current draw without much problem, where the problem today lies is that most sources are now getting the relays made in China. The copper alloy the Chinese ones use is apparently very soft...
Designed, but not very well; the originals were still susceptible to the same failure.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/870435/thumbnail/relayside.jpg

Modern Copper (even from china) is superior. It's the old relay's DESIGN that causes those failures. The newer relay's design is superior.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/829914/thumbnail/starterelaylate.jpg

A standard Bosch relay can handle the PMGR solenoid with no problem, that is what most later Fords that were factory built with a PMGR starter use underhood for the starter.
The '92-96 system (first Fs with PMGR) used the new ignition switch to directly-power the starter relay, which only triggered the PMGR solenoid, as that diagram I posted before shows. This shows more of the circuit:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/285644/thumbnail/starterexploded.jpg

Gee, Steve, maybe on a six cylinder that might be correct, but on a hot 460 (first starter is right under the right exhaust manifold, and almost into the frame) I had a parts store measure my old movable pole piece starter at nearly 200 amps breakaway current, it dropped noticeably once the engine started turning.

Note the starter solenoid, manifold for this side is a rear outlet and drops below the ports.

DSCN1011.thumb.jpg.2014960f6a713f232543f7babe1cddf5.jpg

Pg_20-2a.thumb.jpg.7d98db017163930b21e5cb22b0ec99d4.jpg

DSCN0034_copy.thumb.jpg.e8ea633fcb18bd66f025a0e1389d3171.jpg

Gee, Steve, maybe on a six cylinder that might be correct, but on a hot 460 (first starter is right under the right exhaust manifold, and almost into the frame) I had a parts store measure my old movable pole piece starter at nearly 200 amps breakaway current, it dropped noticeably once the engine started turning.

Note the starter solenoid, manifold for this side is a rear outlet and drops below the ports.

As for the starter relay, here is page 20-2 from my 1996 EVTM:

Note it shows the starter relay.

Here is the relay on my truck before Jim was kind enough to find me an actual 1995 battery cable set from an F450 with a 460 engine:

Bill,

I've always seen the same old relay.

When did Ford start with that weird 'Y' shaped *red* cable?

Bill,

I've always seen the same old relay.

When did Ford start with that weird 'Y' shaped *red* cable?

Somewhere between 1992 and 1995. If you notice the battery sits opposite the older models, the positive cable used to be near the fender with the negative going first to the frame, then to the front of the engine block.

The later system has the cables swapped moving the positive back and in and the negative goes back to the lower starter bolt which is now a double ended one with a nut. They also started running a negative pigtail to the inner fender area.

Let me get a more recent picture of the starter relay/battery setup.

Somewhere between 1992 and 1995. If you notice the battery sits opposite the older models, the positive cable used to be near the fender with the negative going first to the frame, then to the front of the engine block.

The later system has the cables swapped moving the positive back and in and the negative goes back to the lower starter bolt which is now a double ended one with a nut. They also started running a negative pigtail to the inner fender area.

Let me get a more recent picture of the starter relay/battery setup.

So about the same time that the PMGR starters came into play.... :nabble_anim_confused:

Probably, because the rear cable is the "trigger" wire for the solenoid.

Right.

So the relay (with the Y) was there to trigger the starter solenoid.

IDK. I must be living under a rock (or in mom's basement) because I'm not familiar with it being any other way in the Ford trucks I've worked on.

Right.

So the relay (with the Y) was there to trigger the starter solenoid.

IDK. I must be living under a rock (or in mom's basement) because I'm not familiar with it being any other way in the Ford trucks I've worked on.

Pictures as requested.

First, battery and cables looking toward the right fender:

DSCN3459.thumb.jpg.c00657dc2309f295aeb3e591e49bbfbb.jpg

DSCN3460.thumb.jpg.c88c7dced0449f1d488d17b88a29dec8.jpg

DSCN3461.thumb.jpg.0256f4b4ed3c7a1ccf73a94645082e2e.jpg