Bullnose Forums

Heat Shield For Starter?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on shielding the starter on my 351W.

The starter is a newly-reconditioned unit and the engine has aftermarket headers.

SCENARIO - If I've been making multiple stops (engine off) within a short amount of time (say, over the course of an hour), it starts to crank and then sounds like the battery is getting drained (battery is charging and battery is also new. Cables to the starter are "ok"). However, the truck HAS started each time.

By comparison, the truck starts almost straight away when cold (two pumps of the gas)...

Is heat the issue? I've read that it can be a problem with the Windsor engines.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like heat soak to me.

I just purchased a DEI Versa shield for the starter on my 460 with headers. Haven't installed it yet (or even fired up the rebuilt 460) but it sounded like good insurance for my new starter. I believe Summit sells a shield for the full size starters (I bought the micro version) for right around $20.

Sounds like heat soak to me.

I just purchased a DEI Versa shield for the starter on my 460 with headers. Haven't installed it yet (or even fired up the rebuilt 460) but it sounded like good insurance for my new starter. I believe Summit sells a shield for the full size starters (I bought the micro version) for right around $20.

Heat wrapping the header tube closest to the starter may be another option (if they aren't coated) but the starter shield is pretty simple to install so I'd lean towards that option.

Since you have a Windsor engine and automatic, you can get a starter for a 1990 Lincoln Town Car, it is the 302 engine but the starter is a PMGR style and is smaller, draws less current and the one on my 460 wil crank it hot with no problems. It does require a wiring change and as an added benefit does not weld the "high quality" Chineseum starter relay together.

Heat wrapping the header tube closest to the starter may be another option (if they aren't coated) but the starter shield is pretty simple to install so I'd lean towards that option.

I've always found that wrapping headers causes rot (unless they are NEVER driven in rain or snow.

A PMGR starter is considerably smaller than stock and every bit of room helps.

A new (not "good") cable could help.

--anything helps-.....

Keep heat away from that too.

Well, that's all I have to suggest.

Let's see how it turns out.

I've always found that wrapping headers causes rot (unless they are NEVER driven in rain or snow.

A PMGR starter is considerably smaller than stock and every bit of room helps.

A new (not "good") cable could help.

--anything helps-.....

Keep heat away from that too.

Well, that's all I have to suggest.

Let's see how it turns out.

Yep - I've never wrapped any for that fear since around here, just looking at metal makes it rust so no reason to help it out.

Based on the install/wiring process alone, I am a big fan of the pmgr starters. So much more room and easy to clock them away from the exhaust. Although for $20 and a 5min install I'd still consider the shield at least until the current starter goes out. The shield could then be cut to work with the pmgr starter if desired.

Yep - I've never wrapped any for that fear since around here, just looking at metal makes it rust so no reason to help it out.

Based on the install/wiring process alone, I am a big fan of the pmgr starters. So much more room and easy to clock them away from the exhaust. Although for $20 and a 5min install I'd still consider the shield at least until the current starter goes out. The shield could then be cut to work with the pmgr starter if desired.

Is your timing advanced far?

Is your timing advanced far?

I'd add, are sure the retard while cranking function of the ignition is working correctly?

I don't really know what you have in your engine. Maybe high compression?

Thanks everyone.

Compression is not super high - only about 9.5:1 and I'm not sure about the timing advance off-hand.

I love the idea of the PMGR starter (lighter, stronger) - thanks for sharing that tip. I think I'll try the shield and then upgrade when the existing starter fails.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks everyone.

Compression is not super high - only about 9.5:1 and I'm not sure about the timing advance off-hand.

I love the idea of the PMGR starter (lighter, stronger) - thanks for sharing that tip. I think I'll try the shield and then upgrade when the existing starter fails.

Appreciate the help!

Here's the DEI one that just came in the mail today. It's pretty much what you'd expect. The full size version is something like 2 inches wider and 8 inches longer.

I don't know anything about the later model stock pmgr starter or how it's clocked but when the time comes I'd check out powermaster as an option. May be more $ but the clocking helped get mine away from the headers and still avoid the transmission cooling lines.

IMG_20190717_163633.jpg.57b455745ae20953830f2eb8a3843592.jpg

IMG_20190717_163623.jpg.db6961cfc1186ad81058dd4f6d56d91d.jpg