Bullnose Forums

Intermittent no crank issue

Back to the discussion of relays, the original starter required a big relay on the fender, which is known to fail. But the PMGR starters can get by with the little Bosch relays. However, you can leave the big relay on the fender and it'll last forever with the small amount of current being pulled.

That indicates how much less current is being pulled from the battery. IIRC, Jim said 40 amps for the PMGR and Bill said 200 amps for the original starter. So the battery has to supply far less to turn the engine.

The battery is still providing lots of current.

I said *the SOLENOID* (on the starter) requires 13A to stay engaged.

The starter itself?

I think I have to go back to FTE for that..

So the Ford solenoid on the fender only needs 13A to pass through.

Iirc, the starter draws around 150?

The battery is still providing lots of current.

I said *the SOLENOID* (on the starter) requires 13A to stay engaged.

The starter itself?

I think I have to go back to FTE for that..

So the Ford solenoid on the fender only needs 13A to pass through.

Iirc, the starter draws around 150?

Doh! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Back to the discussion of relays, the original starter required a big relay on the fender, which is known to fail. But the PMGR starters can get by with the little Bosch relays. However, you can leave the big relay on the fender and it'll last forever with the small amount of current being pulled.

That indicates how much less current is being pulled from the battery. IIRC, Jim said 40 amps for the PMGR and Bill said 200 amps for the original starter. So the battery has to supply far less to turn the engine.

Wow! Was I wrong...

ArdWrknTrk , 10-19-2015 06:26 AM

When I installed a pmgr starter back in 2012 it came with a test sheet showing a bit over 500A under load.

Of course it has a solenoid attached, and this showed 40A to pull and 13A to hold, so this is the only load my fender mounted relay sees anymore

Wow! Was I wrong...

ArdWrknTrk , 10-19-2015 06:26 AM

When I installed a pmgr starter back in 2012 it came with a test sheet showing a bit over 500A under load.

Of course it has a solenoid attached, and this showed 40A to pull and 13A to hold, so this is the only load my fender mounted relay sees anymore

Yipes! YIPES!

I wonder how much torque it puts out at that current as opposed to the old style starter? That 500 amps is surely stalled, and with the gear reduction it won't be stalled long.

Maybe Matthew can do a PMGR upgrade at the GTG and you can document it for the site?

Negative!

As much as I'd love to make a contribution to the site like that, I won't be making mechanical changes to the truck in the middle of a 2500 mile trip. I'm heading down to Texas after Oklahoma, and they have more banjos than Arkansas...

Maybe Matthew can do a PMGR upgrade at the GTG and you can document it for the site?

Negative!

As much as I'd love to make a contribution to the site like that, I won't be making mechanical changes to the truck in the middle of a 2500 mile trip. I'm heading down to Texas after Oklahoma, and they have more banjos than Arkansas...

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

David/1986F150Six has had similar responses to some significant changes that have been proposed. And I can fully understand.

Yipes! YIPES!

I wonder how much torque it puts out at that current as opposed to the old style starter? That 500 amps is surely stalled, and with the gear reduction it won't be stalled long.

I'm pretty sure I had posted a pic of the graph there as well but I'm not looking any farther.

Iirc it was 512A.

Yes, that was 'Max' draw.

Those starters spin pretty fast.

I posted pictures of the guts (planetary reduction) in my starter woes thread.

I'm sure the reduction could be figured at a glance (count)

Negative!

A road trip isn't 'an adventure' unless you take some uncalculated risks! :nabble_anim_blbl:

I'm pretty sure I had posted a pic of the graph there as well but I'm not looking any farther.

Iirc it was 512A.

Yes, that was 'Max' draw.

The standard starter I purchased today has a similar peak amperage figure.