Bullnose Forums

Intermittent no crank issue

This noise does it sound like the starter is spinning or the relay buzzing?

Dave ----

Neither...the relay isn't making any unusual noise, and the starter isn't spinning; it's fully engaging, it just isn't putting out enough torque to spin the engine. Hence 'RRRrrr'.

Dave ----

Neither...the relay isn't making any unusual noise, and the starter isn't spinning; it's fully engaging, it just isn't putting out enough torque to spin the engine. Hence 'RRRrrr'.

Battery is good.

Cables are new.

Is the timing retard function working?

Battery is good.

Cables are new.

In the Duraspark module? I don't know (but I assume it is)...but that wouldn't come into play until the engine was rotating and the plugs were firing, would it?

Battery is good.

Cables are new.

In the Duraspark module? I don't know (but I assume it is)...but that wouldn't come into play until the engine was rotating and the plugs were firing, would it?

That would come into play when you applied power to the start circuit.

The engine is not turning when there is power applied to the white module wire, and the red/blue trigger of the relay. (Electrons are FAST!!!!) :nabble_smiley_wink:

Sorry Matthew. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I'm on my phone and trying to wrap up a day that had a start 'before 6:00'

Give me a chance to get back and cool off, I'll go looking for Chris's post for you.

6:00 heck I am at work for an hour on my late start days.

Dave ----

Mornin' Dave! :nabble_waving_orig:

I'm up and on my way into the shop to glue up some more doors. :nabble_smiley_happy:

(You can never have enough clamps)

IMG_20190718_143731.thumb.jpg.ea652f131edb4352df6e5c6141b21917.jpg

Battery is good.

Cables are new.

As I sit here in the parking lot waiting for a friend to give me a ride home, I can confirm that the problem is NOT the starter relay. :nabble_smiley_sad:

As I sit here in the parking lot waiting for a friend to give me a ride home, I can confirm that the problem is NOT the starter relay. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Well that sucks.

Have you tried tapping on the starter?

New ground goes to starter bolt, right?

And (I expect) the starter cable itself is good.

Well that sucks.

No, I declined the opportunity to crawl around under the truck in the parking lot of the grocery store. I'd already wasted enough time swapping out the relay (I was on the way back from NAPA with the new relay, and foolishly decided to stop for lunch), and I needed to get back home to work. Plus, I didn't want to be filthy when I got in my friend's car.

I'll go back over this evening after it's had time to cool down for a while, and see if that helps. If not I'll get under there and bang on the starter for a bit...and if *that* doesn't help I suppose I'll do a parking lot starter swap. Good times!

Well that sucks.

No, I declined the opportunity to crawl around under the truck in the parking lot of the grocery store. I'd already wasted enough time swapping out the relay (I was on the way back from NAPA with the new relay, and foolishly decided to stop for lunch), and I needed to get back home to work. Plus, I didn't want to be filthy when I got in my friend's car.

I'll go back over this evening after it's had time to cool down for a while, and see if that helps. If not I'll get under there and bang on the starter for a bit...and if *that* doesn't help I suppose I'll do a parking lot starter swap. Good times!

Bring a pipe, or a wrecking bar, or something.....

Hit it from the top.

You have nothing to lose.

No need to be stuck and undignified. :nabble_smiley_unhappy: