Bullnose Forum

Intermittent no crank issue

Well that sucks.

Have you tried tapping on the starter?

New ground goes to starter bolt, right?

And (I expect) the starter cable itself is good.

No, I declined the opportunity to crawl around under the truck in the parking lot of the grocery store. I'd already wasted enough time swapping out the relay (I was on the way back from NAPA with the new relay, and foolishly decided to stop for lunch), and I needed to get back home to work. Plus, I didn't want to be filthy when I got in my friend's car.

I'll go back over this evening after it's had time to cool down for a while, and see if that helps. If not I'll get under there and bang on the starter for a bit...and if *that* doesn't help I suppose I'll do a parking lot starter swap. Good times!

How well is the fender grounded?

-the relay grounds through its ears and the mounting screws-

Bring a pipe, or a wrecking bar, or something.....

Hit it from the top.

You have nothing to lose.

No need to be stuck and undignified. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Yup. Unfortunately, when it happened I had nothing that would reach far enough down to whack the starter...

...until I was just now coming back from NAPA (for the second time today and probably fifth time this month - the counter girl likely thinks I have a crush on her) with the new starter, and remembered that looong jack handle these trucks are equipped with. So I swung by the store where the truck was, used the jack handle to beat the starter like a rented stepchild, et voila:

IMG_0376.jpg.d00cc6d6b8a34f54a737aa86e4cc573f.jpg

The truck fired right up and is now safely ensconced in my garage, awaiting a dignified starter swap tomorrow.

Hit it from the top.

Yup. Unfortunately, when it happened I had nothing that would reach far enough down to whack the starter...

...until I was just now coming back from NAPA (for the second time today and probably fifth time this month - the counter girl likely thinks I have a crush on her) with the new starter, and remembered that looong jack handle these trucks are equipped with. So I swung by the store where the truck was, used the jack handle to beat the starter like a rented stepchild, et voila:

The truck fired right up and is now safely ensconced in my garage, awaiting a dignified starter swap tomorrow.

The counter girl likely was thinking, 'My eyes are up here'

Glad you got it started. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ever considered a PMGR?

Seems a popular topic of late.

Hit it from the top.

Yippee! Now you won't get stuck in banjo country. :nabble_smiley_good:

I second the PMGR suggestion.

Well...I won't get stuck because of a bad starter at least. One potential problem down, 999 to go...

OK...why? I don't know anything about PMGR starters, I thought their big appeal was a smaller diameter for tight installations?

Well...I won't get stuck because of a bad starter at least. One potential problem down, 999 to go...

OK...why? I don't know anything about PMGR starters, I thought their big appeal was a smaller diameter for tight installations?

More cranking power with less current. The engine spins easier/faster and the solenoid and battery will thank you.

Hard to argue with that!

Back to the discussion of relays, the original starter required a big relay on the fender, which is known to fail. But the PMGR starters can get by with the little Bosch relays. However, you can leave the big relay on the fender and it'll last forever with the small amount of current being pulled.

That indicates how much less current is being pulled from the battery. IIRC, Jim said 40 amps for the PMGR and Bill said 200 amps for the original starter. So the battery has to supply far less to turn the engine.