Bullnose Forums

Bummer...

Sorry you were late to getting those parts.

I'm sure more will turn up, and it not as if the accident has you off the road.

The bumper looks a little shorter than the one I saw, but maybe they are the solution to wandering livestock. ?

Jonathan - That is a huge bummer! So sorry. 😩

I have an ‘81 radiator support. Was 351M, but should work fine. Ford said to stuff tire tread in to reduce the size for a smaller radiator. I’ll trade it to you for the later one you brought me. 😉

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an ‘81 radiator support. Was 351M, but should work fine. Ford said to stuff tire tread in to reduce the size for a smaller radiator. I’ll trade it to you for the later one you brought me. 😉

It's a shame you're so far away, I have a straight passenger side door that just has a few rust issues on the inner lower side. It's probably gonna go in the scrap pile here soon.

Deer are a big problem here in Florida, cattle are only a problem when I'm working with them in the field. :nabble_smiley_wink:

...wrecker push bumper. It’s not that pretty, but it is affordable and probably effective.
Pay close attention to how it's attached to the frame, and post pics of what you see.

You might offer him $2-300 for everything that's left. Leave your truck bed at home, ratchet-strap that cab onto your frame facing backward, and haul it all home with its front bumper as your tailgate. Bailing-wire your taillights to your bumper for the drive.

Thanks guys, I think I remember seeing Ken/SCFlareside’s thread now. Those designs seem good for protecting the the truck from a square hit, but don’t look strong enough for a corner clip like I had. Granted I did swerve which is not really advised, but I think it saved the donkey and probably traded sheet metal damage to the side of the truck instead of crumpling the front and pushing the radiator into the fan. I would not swerve like that at highway speeds. I was only going around 35mph to begin with.

Gary, thank you for the offer on the core support. I will keep it in mind as I peel the layers and assess the damage. I’m just grateful everything is still more or less functional. I loosened the fender bolts and did some gentle prying so the door opens now.

I don’t know that I will even focus on protecting this truck unless/until it has a new front clip, but I definitely want to have something heavy duty in front of the crew cab. Maybe it is futile trying to plan for hitting a 2,000+ lb bull, but I need to do the best I can. Last year our main access road alone had 8 cow collisions in two weeks, and many other roads in the area were similar. There were even some on US Hwy 68 because of cut fences. One of these resulted in fatalities. You just can’t see a black cow in the road at night. Flagstaff has high numbers of elk collisions. Elk are big and do a lot of damage. They are easier to see than black cows, but harder to stop for at interstate speeds. I can only imagine hitting a moose. When my aunt visited Canada she said there were road signs in series that read: Watch for moose... moose are BIG... you DON’T want to hit one! You might need a grille guard as tall as the cab.

Edit: Steve, I would like the cab but that’s a pretty cumbersome item. I think I’d rent a little U-Haul trailer before I pulled my bed. That’s a lot of work in itself. I will see what it’s like. Honestly I shouldn’t be messing with any of it... but I don’t see push bumpers often, especially for a Bullnose. I am curious how it is fastened also. If it’s not made right or can’t be fastened securely I’ll pass.

Thanks guys, I think I remember seeing Ken/SCFlareside’s thread now. Those designs seem good for protecting the the truck from a square hit, but don’t look strong enough for a corner clip like I had. Granted I did swerve which is not really advised, but I think it saved the donkey and probably traded sheet metal damage to the side of the truck instead of crumpling the front and pushing the radiator into the fan. I would not swerve like that at highway speeds. I was only going around 35mph to begin with.

Gary, thank you for the offer on the core support. I will keep it in mind as I peel the layers and assess the damage. I’m just grateful everything is still more or less functional. I loosened the fender bolts and did some gentle prying so the door opens now.

I don’t know that I will even focus on protecting this truck unless/until it has a new front clip, but I definitely want to have something heavy duty in front of the crew cab. Maybe it is futile trying to plan for hitting a 2,000+ lb bull, but I need to do the best I can. Last year our main access road alone had 8 cow collisions in two weeks, and many other roads in the area were similar. There were even some on US Hwy 68 because of cut fences. One of these resulted in fatalities. You just can’t see a black cow in the road at night. Flagstaff has high numbers of elk collisions. Elk are big and do a lot of damage. They are easier to see than black cows, but harder to stop for at interstate speeds. I can only imagine hitting a moose. When my aunt visited Canada she said there were road signs in series that read: Watch for moose... moose are BIG... you DON’T want to hit one! You might need a grille guard as tall as the cab.

Edit: Steve, I would like the cab but that’s a pretty cumbersome item. I think I’d rent a little U-Haul trailer before I pulled my bed. That’s a lot of work in itself. I will see what it’s like. Honestly I shouldn’t be messing with any of it... but I don’t see push bumpers often, especially for a Bullnose. I am curious how it is fastened also. If it’s not made right or can’t be fastened securely I’ll pass.

Elk and Moose are tall enough that you take their legs out and the body comes right through the windshield.

That + being 500-700 kilos is a recipe for disaster, even in a pickup.

Imagine it in most cars, which are low slung and have much less acreage of sheet metal for a hood.

You can probably watch the old MythBusters moose-collision special on YouTube.