Bullnose Forums

New 86' F150 4X4

Speaking of those reinforcements, I've seen a few of the small ones in the JY so worth a look there first but you can get the big one from Bronco GY: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/83-91-Ford-Bronco-Ford-Truck-Firewall-Clutch-Repair-Bracket/productinfo/34010/

That's a decent price. I bought mine from Terrapin, and it's more expensive. I didn't know about the Bronco Graveyard piece at the time.

http://www.terrapinmfg.com/firewall%20fix.htm

My truck had the small brace installed previously.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of those reinforcements, I've seen a few of the small ones in the JY so worth a look there first but you can get the big one from Bronco GY: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/83-91-Ford-Bronco-Ford-Truck-Firewall-Clutch-Repair-Bracket/productinfo/34010/

That's a decent price. I bought mine from Terrapin, and it's more expensive. I didn't know about the Bronco Graveyard piece at the time.

http://www.terrapinmfg.com/firewall%20fix.htm

My truck had the small brace installed previously.

Funny, I was actually trying to remember the name 'Terrapin' so was googling it and the Bronco GY listing showed up. I never knew they had it there either.

Did the small one not work? Or was it added too late? Or did you just want to get the big one while it was still available (this is my logic on a lot of stuff for these trucks)?

Did the small one not work? Or was it added too late? Or did you just want to get the big one while it was still available (this is my logic on a lot of stuff for these trucks)?

It was added too late and had been poorly installed imho. I had the steering column out as well as the brake booster and clutch master, so I figured it was a good time to install the big brace and hopefully never touch it again;).

PS: Something else you might want to read up on when you get bored is the cab reinforcement brace for the clutch master cylinder. There was a recall on this back in the old days since the hydraulic masters caused a crack on the firewall. It's certainly nothing to panic about, but if you're keeping the truck it's something worth looking into.

It was never a recall, but a TSB.

There were two reinforcements available.

If you caught before the firewall delaminated and tore there is a small one that requires contortion but only removing the clutch MC.

If the firewall is already bad (poor disengagement, MC rises noticably when pedal depressed) then you need the big plate on the engine side of the firewall.

And that requires removing the steering column, brake booster and pedal box.

I've done enough of these to say it's no fun

It was added too late and had been poorly installed imho. I had the steering column out as well as the brake booster and clutch master, so I figured it was a good time to install the big brace and hopefully never touch it again;).

Do you still have it Cory?

It might make a nice forum*warming gift. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Ok here you go! Quite a few. Let me know if you guys want some close up's of anything in particular.

Good pictures! :nabble_smiley_good:

1) I want to apologise.

I saw what I thought was a janky battery hold down in the first photos.

I don't see any at all now.

In 1987 Ford went with a bottom mount clamp, but that requires an '87 on radiator support, battery tray and inner fender, and that uses a later style radiator...

So, it seems something was done, or I am hallucinating. 😃

2) You really should get the fresh air flex ductwork to connect your air cleaner through the radiator support (and out to cooler air in front of the truck)

3) Another common issue with the clutch pedal is the plastic bushing that connects the master cylinder to the pedal arm.

If this plastic wears through or cracks, the pin it fits on will wear and need replacement.

$3 and three minutes, or pulling the whole pedal assembly out and welding the pin up.

You choose.....

The arm *should* still be available from Ford, but again it's contortion with wrenches and pry bar to get the old one off.

Ok here you go! Quite a few. Let me know if you guys want some close up's of anything in particular.

That really is a whole bunch of spaghetti around the thermostat housing. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I think I did better at Fifteen.

And now you have a hole in your damn knee panel!

Don't worry we'll get your AC sorted!

Edit: maybe your evaporator is freezing up?

Does it start out ok and get worse?

2) You really should get the fresh air flex ductwork to connect your air cleaner through the radiator support (and out to cooler air in front of the truck)

I agree, but for it to work properly, vacuum lines need to be connected to the temperature sensor located in the top of the air cleaner housing and to the servo motor located on the air intake snorkel. The ones on his [emunder's] truck are shown as being sealed with rubber boots.

I agree, but for it to work properly, vacuum lines need to be connected to the temperature sensor located in the top of the air cleaner housing and to the servo motor located on the air intake snorkel. The ones on his [emunder's] truck are shown as being sealed with rubber boots.

Absolutely David.

I'm saying 'make it right'

But even wide open all the time (in summer) is better than sucking 250* underhood air off the exhaust log.