Bullnose Forums

New Member/New Truck!

emunder

If it is ALL working then it's as good as emissions systems get.

But when any (unobtainable) component goes bad --computer, distributor- carburetor, or it's solenoids, sensors-- then you get stumbles, locked timing, and other problems you don't have the parts to fix.

It is popular to retrofit the DuraSpark 2 system (aka DSII)

This was used for at least a decade, from the mid '70's to my 1987 460.

Parts are cheap and available everywhere! (except the wiring harness between distributor and ignition module)

The carburetor can be rebuilt and rebuilt distributors are available.

Solenoids and sensors too.

But if the computer board or harness is bad it is MUCH easier to find DSII parts and swap to pre emissions.

The computer also controls other things like your EGR system, and evaporative emissions.

So when that goes bad most people who don't have strict inspection just jettison "all this emissions crap" and go back to something they understand and can get parts for.

Some can explain this better than me, but that's it in a nutshell.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But no....don’t think you’re picking at all. Glad to have the information.

A few more things I note (I'm on my phone, not a decent monitor)

Cowl seal should be replaced.

The radiator support has been changed (should be body color)

These commonly rot at the bottom. Northern road salt kills 'em.

Check the "horns" on the front of the frame **where it mounts** to make sure the body bushings are correct.

The dash cover has been painted or it has a plastic 'coverlay' cap on it.

The speaker grille in the center of the dash falls apart, leaving an ugly hole.

(I notice no clear shot of this, probably for a reason, if they are selling as 'all original'.)

Ron/Reamer and Gary the owner of this forum designed a 3D printed 'patch', and Ron sells them.

Check him for price and availability if your dash is bad.

It looks like it has 87-91 emblems on the fenders, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

Looking on my tablet now, and I take it back.

Badges are two piece, so later, like '85-'86 but not '87>

Thanks so much for all the information! I really appreciate it! Ok I will check those things out when it gets here (hopefully tomorrow). And then I will check out the retro carb/distributor setup but if it runs good then I'll leave it be until I have an issue.

Thanks so much for all the information! I really appreciate it! Ok I will check those things out when it gets here (hopefully tomorrow). And then I will check out the retro carb/distributor setup but if it runs good then I'll leave it be until I have an issue.

:nabble_smiley_beam:. As a group, we are nothing if not observant.

And as you can see, I'm pretty verbose.

But we are a collective dedicated to helping one another keep their trucks top*notch !

Looking forward to being peppered with questions down in the main forum. :nabble_smiley_good:

:nabble_smiley_beam:. As a group, we are nothing if not observant.

And as you can see, I'm pretty verbose.

But we are a collective dedicated to helping one another keep their trucks top*notch !

Looking forward to being peppered with questions down in the main forum. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good looking truck! Great find. Welcome. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Just an observation... the compressor and hose routing looks different from mine. :nabble_anim_confused:

Good looking truck! Great find. Welcome. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Just an observation... the compressor and hose routing looks different from mine. :nabble_anim_confused:

I live about 30 minutes from this dealer. Over the past several years he's had a few trucks I've been interested in. I'm curious about your experiences working with this guy. He was nothing but an asshole to me. Very unfortunate and prevented me from pursuing a number of seemingly nice looking trucks. I hope nothing but the best for you and your truck. I hope it's everything and more that you paid for.

I live about 30 minutes from this dealer. Over the past several years he's had a few trucks I've been interested in. I'm curious about your experiences working with this guy. He was nothing but an asshole to me. Very unfortunate and prevented me from pursuing a number of seemingly nice looking trucks. I hope nothing but the best for you and your truck. I hope it's everything and more that you paid for.

Really sorry to hear about your interaction with the seller. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

But I'm glad to hear you thought enough of his inventory to want to purchase.

That's a positive in this case!