Bullnose Forums

Opinions Wanted: Transmission Pans

I just did this because my pan was leaking.

I used a TCI 428000 bought off Amazon. The pan is of nice exterior quality, but I was a little less impressed with the flange surface. The flange had a part line deep enough I sent the first one back. The replacement had a similar artifact but less pronounced so I used it. That pan is not a must-buy for me.

I used a LubeLocker gasket. Not cheap, but ships in a sturdy cardboard flat with a recommended torque sequence. Good quality.

No leaks with the new setup.

I have a hand pump and used that to suck out as much fluid from the pan as I could before I fully dropped it. Worked well enough, along with a big catch pan and some cardboard on the floor, to keep the mess to a minimum.

F1C5644C-C85F-41C4-ACCE-8D3F9FC28236.jpeg.79bbe547c1516e743883f85e4ef12bd1.jpeg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a cheap syphon pump at Horrible Fate.

And clear vinyl tube is like $0.10 a foot at the hardware

I was just going to use the one in my cabinet....

I always just add a drain plug:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/210656/thumbnail/pandrain.jpg

But I also only use the newest Ford/MC fluid, and add a MagneFine (also to PS systems), so the trans becomes effectively "filled-for-life".

https://supermotors.net/getfile/71694/thumbnail/cooler.jpg

If the trans was ever upgraded to a reusable pan & gasket, I swap those on, too. But I don't think the C6 was.

If the trans was ever upgraded to a reusable pan & gasket, I swap those on, too. But I don't think the C6 was.

I almost wish I hadn't read the 'Danger of Changing the ATF' piece now. I'm wondering what the bigger risk is - driving 2500 miles with a transmission that has good-looking (but unchanged in at least 23 years) fluid that shifts well, or changing the fluid and filter and subjecting that same transmission to detergent levels it hasn't seen in decades...

I almost wish I hadn't read the 'Danger of Changing the ATF' piece now. I'm wondering what the bigger risk is - driving 2500 miles with a transmission that has good-looking (but unchanged in at least 23 years) fluid that shifts well, or changing the fluid and filter and subjecting that same transmission to detergent levels it hasn't seen in decades...

Is running a detergent concentrate then drain, change filter, and fresh fill not an option?

I'd guess you need to empty the TC as well.

I'm no AT guy, as I said.

But have certainly done this with engine oil before.

None the worse for it.

Is running a detergent concentrate then drain, change filter, and fresh fill not an option?

None the worse for it.

What, like Transmission Drano or something? I suppose that's a possibility...but the whole point of the exercise is to reduce risk on the trip, and I'm wondering if that means I should pass on the transmission work for the time being.

None the worse for it.

What, like Transmission Drano or something? I suppose that's a possibility...but the whole point of the exercise is to reduce risk on the trip, and I'm wondering if that means I should pass on the transmission work for the time being.

I'd say it's more of a laxative.

But if you get it ALL out and start fresh....

I really don't know the long term implications.

Just asking

I'd say it's more of a laxative.

But if you get it ALL out and start fresh....

I really don't know the long term implications.

Just asking

There are so many mixed reviews on this. If transmission failure is a concern before your trip, I would put it off until after the trip, provided that the transmission still shifts fine and the fluid doesn't smell burnt.

There are so many mixed reviews on this. If transmission failure is a concern before your trip, I would put it off until after the trip, provided that the transmission still shifts fine and the fluid doesn't smell burnt.

And if it's not cooked and the shift valves aren't sticking, is there a risk?

I've read a bunch of debates.

But I never took too much interest.

What's a few more thousand miles at this point?

Maybe do it at Gary's!?!? :nabble_smiley_wink:

See what I said about AAA if you're worried.

And if it's not cooked and the shift valves aren't sticking, is there a risk?

I've read a bunch of debates.

But I never took too much interest.

What's a few more thousand miles at this point?

Maybe do it at Gary's!?!? :nabble_smiley_wink:

See what I said about AAA if you're worried.

Forgot somebody mentioned Lube Locker for the gasket. I second that suggestion.

I had a TCI pan installed on my 4x4 C6 when I had the shift kit installed. The shop advised that I not use the gasket that I ordered but rather a cork gasket IIRC. all has been well so far. Well after I replaced the leaking (had a hole in it) dip stick tube that is.