Bullnose Forums

Opinions Wanted: Transmission Pans

I had a TCI pan installed on my 4x4 C6 when I had the shift kit installed. The shop advised that I not use the gasket that I ordered but rather a cork gasket IIRC. all has been well so far. Well after I replaced the leaking (had a hole in it) dip stick tube that is.

Did they give you a reason for preferring the cork gasket? That sounds pretty weird.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they give you a reason for preferring the cork gasket? That sounds pretty weird.

I am also using the TCI pan on my c6 and am very happy with it. I didn't ask them about it but the shop that just rebuilt my transmission (and thus reinstalled the TCI pan) also used a cork gasket. So maybe there is something to it?

Maybe the transmission shop would rather glue a cheap cork gasket to the pan, rather than trying to justify $27, and having to line up the holes while juggling the gasket, pan, bolts and wrench over head?

Much easier to put two bolts through on opposite corners and lift it, finger tighten and proceed.

Time is money.

I have a TCI unit that I purchased from Jegs.

If you use the search function on this forum and type in "Changing C6 Pan" you should see that thread as the first result. Lots of info (and links) there.

NOTE: I tried to copy the URL but it would only provide "www.garysgaragemahal.com" in the browser and not the actual URL of the thread.

I tried to copy the URL but it would only provide "www.garysgaragemahal.com" in the browser and not the actual URL of the thread.

You have to copy the "permalink". For the thread it is at the top right of the page. For a given post hit More and select Permalink.

Ah, good thread...thanks for pointing me to it.

Although as much money as I'm spending lately on items I wasn't planning to replace, I may put this off for a while longer yet. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I assume your replacement was successful? What fluid did you end up going with, the Mercon V?

Well, so far. From what I can tell, the pan is good... and it has a drain plug!

If you end up doing the job yourself, there is also an access point on the front of the trans housing that has a drain bolt for the torque converter behind it (you may need to rotate the engine to see the bolt in the access port). Pulling that bolt helps to drain a lot of the fluid from the torque converter.

After a lot of research, I ended up using "Valvoline DEXRON/MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid" which was about $14 per gallon from Amazon (I bought 4 gallons and used about 3 and a bit).