Bullnose Forums

Temp Gauge - What Color Wire in Engine Bay?

What color wire do I need to be looking for in the engine bay so that I can find the temp sender?

Hey Quarter,

The temp sender is right behind the distributor, with one wire going to it. (My '84 302 appears to be a red wire...not sure if it's striped or not...I couldn't see it well with only one coffee in me...lol).

intake.jpg.83ae148b37a1d376705796c2128fac81.jpg

PS: If by chance you find that the sender is bad, they are still available directly from Ford. I bought one this past winter but haven't installed it yet. I have an aftermarket sender in there now but it doesn't read properly.

What color wire do I need to be looking for in the engine bay so that I can find the temp sender?

Hey Quarter,

The temp sender is right behind the distributor, with one wire going to it. (My '84 302 appears to be a red wire...not sure if it's striped or not...I couldn't see it well with only one coffee in me...lol).

PS: If by chance you find that the sender is bad, they are still available directly from Ford. I bought one this past winter but haven't installed it yet. I have an aftermarket sender in there now but it doesn't read properly.

If you need to go to an auto parts store, be sure you get a -sender- not a sensor.

There is a difference!

Sender is for the gauge, sensor is for the computer's cold engine indication. (I know you don't have one)

I've never hooked them both up to meters and brought them to a boil, so I don't know their full resistance ranges.

I'm sure Gary has a Ford p/n for the sender, but I'm on a phone, and although I DO have the HiPo MPC on CD I don't have a way to read it right now. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Hey Quarter,

Cory,

If you have time, could you picture the end of the box with the part numbers clearly visible?

Thanks, Jim

Cory,

If you have time, could you picture the end of the box with the part numbers clearly visible?

Thanks, Jim

Yes, no problem, but it won't be until tonight when I get back home.

The aftermarket sender I installed works, it's just that the scaling seems to be a bit off. The gauge now reads higher than it is supposed to. I would have re-installed my original sender, but I sold my carb/intake and the sender went with it. I bought the new Ford sender hoping it provides a better range for the gauge...but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Dealing with 3400 lbs of rust has put things like temp gauge senders at the bottom of my priority list...lol.